The Student Room Group

Anyone else with psoriasis?

So I've always had skin problems - mostly eczema. But as of recently, I've been having a lot of bad psoriasis break outs and I'm not going to lie - it's bumming me the hell out. Not helped at all by the fact that I'm going on holiday in a couple of months with my friends (all of whom have lovely clear skin) and just spent the last few months toning up to get a bikini body, as well as a bunch of money on the actual bikinis. And now I'm scared that, because my psoriasis is all over my stomach it'll be all for naught. I know it's disgusting to look at and I don't wand to force everyone to look at it but at the same time I don't want to have to cover up in the Magaluf heat. I just want to know if anyone else has been through the same and has any suggestions/tips on what I can do to keep it at bay at least for the summer time?
Original post by JazzB
So I've always had skin problems - mostly eczema. But as of recently, I've been having a lot of bad psoriasis break outs and I'm not going to lie - it's bumming me the hell out. Not helped at all by the fact that I'm going on holiday in a couple of months with my friends (all of whom have lovely clear skin) and just spent the last few months toning up to get a bikini body, as well as a bunch of money on the actual bikinis. And now I'm scared that, because my psoriasis is all over my stomach it'll be all for naught. I know it's disgusting to look at and I don't wand to force everyone to look at it but at the same time I don't want to have to cover up in the Magaluf heat. I just want to know if anyone else has been through the same and has any suggestions/tips on what I can do to keep it at bay at least for the summer time?

I feel ya! I have psoriasis on my stomach, and recently have it because of exams pressure. Im hoping itll clear in the summer, sun is supposed to help and relaxation. What triggers your psoriasis?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I feel ya! I have psoriasis on my stomach, and recently have it because of exams pressure. Im hoping itll clear in the summer, sun is supposed to help and relaxation. What triggers your psoriasis?

Generally it seems pretty random but I think I've narrowed it down to stress, illness, change in washing powder/fabric softener and the rare occasion I drink excessively. How about you?
Original post by JazzB

Speaking as a long time psoriasis sufferer, I'm actually impressed that you decided to go at all! My answer would always be just to stay inside.

Speaking also as a guy, the issue is a bit different. Could you get away with some sort of one-piece, or one of those really light dresses (if that's even the right word) that women sometimes wear over bikinis? You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on female fashion - maybe the fashion section on TSR can help you out on alternative ideas?

And obviously, I see from your post that you already bought them, though you can keep them for another time and face no obligation to wear them or cover something over the top like I said.

People usually point to stress as something that exacerbates it - do you have exams at the moment? Diet can sometimes impact it, but that seems to vary from person to person. People always talk about dairy and gluten, but it's largely anecdotal. Drink lots of water is the usual canard and is great for your health anyway, so you have nothing to lose (stay off the alcohol as well ... though you are going to Magaluf ...).

A moisturiser might remove the worst of it, particularly the scaliness if it's plaque psoriasis. People usually respond slightly better to general redness over scaliness/flakiness - they might assume that you got strangely sunburnt or a stung by a jellyfish maybe? Sometimes, I find that moisturiser can make the area lighter and blend in with my skin better.

Sun usually helps it (UV light is used as a treatment), though that's obviously slightly ironic. Maybe you could sunbathe discreetly for the next couple of months under the guise of building up a tan. Sunbeds would work theoretically, but come with their own risks.

I don't know what else to tell you. That's what living with psoriasis is - it is temperamental and everyone is different. Also, I know there's a lot of pressure on young women to look great, which psoriasis sometimes makes difficult.

There's a part of me that wants to tell you to ignore other people and focus on enjoying your holiday ... but such advice is usually hard to take. So, eat a good diet, drink plenty of water and use a moisturiser and you should be fine.

I want to pick up on a couple of specific things that you said too.

Original post by JazzB
I'm not going to lie - it's bumming me the hell out ... my friends (all of whom have lovely clear skin) ... I'm scared that, because my psoriasis is all over my stomach it'll be all for naught. I know it's disgusting to look at and I don't wand to force everyone to look at it

A lot of doctors do not perhaps cover the psychological dimension of psoriasis (in my experience), and it should come as no surprise that sufferers feel self-conscious. It's very natural to feel this way, but I urge you to stay strong and to get emotional support from those around you if you feel down about it. You don't want to let it define or dictate your self-image, or spend time envying everyone else for their clear skin, which might cause problems with friends - tempers do have a habit of fraying on holiday.

"disgusting", in particular, is a very strong word. You shouldn't have to feel like less of a person just because you happen to have a skin condition that is entirely not your fault.
Ive got Psoriasis on my scalp (it runs in my family). The doctor did give me treatment but I only use it if the itching is really bad! It has been getting worse and worse with exams getting closer..
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I've had it for at least 8 years now, went to see a dermatologist back in March and am suppose to be starting light treatment but haven't heard anything even though there was only a 6 week wait so may have to phone them next week!

I've got it pretty bad all over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest