The Student Room Group

Minimal sleep needed to sit the C1 exam??

Okay so I havent been revising for C1 at all in fact I havent been revising for any of my exams but thats not the point. I have a pretty good knowledge on C1 in terms of theoretical and knowing formulas and rules etc We did a mock recently on C1 in which I just about got an A (note it was an easy paper). I was meant to binge study today by doing loads of past papers but I got distracted which of course I ****ing regret. I am JUST about to start doing papers and I'm gonna be up late but I know I need sleep for an exam. I dont want to do an all nighter because it WILL affect my progress. So whats the MINIMAL about of sleep I need for a C1 exam?? I was thinking 4 hours? So I could go bed at 3am and wake up at 7am? Or could I survive on less?

Aiming for a strong A.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Do one more paper then get plenty of rest.
It'll do you better than just burning yourself out :redface:
Reply 2
Do not worry about your problems in mathematics, I can assure you that mine are still greater
- Einstein

Oh, and there is no specified sleep:grade ratio.
If I were you, I'd just marathon about 6/7 papers right now, then leave for school at about 8.
Original post by Smug Life
If I were you, I'd just marathon about 6/7 papers right now, then leave for school at about 8.

I've learnt from experience that all nighters are NEVER a good idea. 3 hours min.
If you're similar to me (you sound like it)

Then you'll need 1 past paper to get a low A, you'll see your mistakes and understand them and in the next one you'll get a high A. I didn't do revision but got 61/75 first paper and 68/75 second paper.

So 1 or 2 I'd say, depends how fast you can do a paper.
At least 6hrs! Also try do the latest papers as they're harder AND don't look at the answers, attempt them with out looking and maybe time each one.

Haha you remind me of me last yr with my AS, i left to to the last minute for some exams (i took the sciences and maths)

I have a C1 (AQA) exam tmrw too (i'm resitting it), god willing we get 80+ UMS. Gd luck :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Prepare the pro plus and other drugs
:coffee:
is all I can suggest :wink: :smile:, That's what I'm doing and I'm in the same position as you. If neither are available then I suggest you just do another paper, timing yourself of course, and make the decision to do another dependant on how well you performed in the previous one. You should be fine if you got an A in your mock. I would really suggest revising for the others you have though and trying a little harder not to get distracted :smile: Good luck whatever you decide to do
Reply 8
Also if you do trip up anywhere at any point and you want something a bit better than the mark scheme to help then youtube search for "MyALevelMathsTutor" where you can watch him go through almost every paper step by step
Original post by Mathskid137
If you're similar to me (you sound like it)

Then you'll need 1 past paper to get a low A, you'll see your mistakes and understand them and in the next one you'll get a high A. I didn't do revision but got 61/75 first paper and 68/75 second paper.

So 1 or 2 I'd say, depends how fast you can do a paper.

Thank you!!
Original post by bakedbeans247
At least 6hrs! Also try do the latest papers as they're harder AND don't look at the answers, attempt them with out looking and maybe time each one.

Haha you remind me of me last yr with my AS, i left to to the last minute for some exams (i took the sciences and maths)

I have a C1 (AQA) exam tmrw too (i'm resitting it), god willing we get 80+ UMS. Gd luck :wink:

I am definitely not getting 6 hours xD I think bucket loads of coffee will help me though (Y)

Yes I WILL do the latest papers thank you! Yes I have literally left all my AS exams to the last minute and I am relying heavily on cramming:L (Never a good idea esp with the sciences xD) Did you come out with okay grades for the ones u crammed?

Good luck with ur exam!! Thanks!
Original post by TheMVS
Prepare the pro plus and other drugs
:coffee:
is all I can suggest :wink: :smile:, That's what I'm doing and I'm in the same position as you. If neither are available then I suggest you just do another paper, timing yourself of course, and make the decision to do another dependant on how well you performed in the previous one. You should be fine if you got an A in your mock. I would really suggest revising for the others you have though and trying a little harder not to get distracted :smile: Good luck whatever you decide to do

Haha those drugs are are unavailable xD But I do plan to drink BUCKETS loads of coffee in the morning lmaoo Yes I think I have learnt my mistake that cramming requires AT LEAST a day xD So I will try to cram more efficiently for my other exams :wink: I dont even know whats wrong with me and getting distracted... this has to be a disease:L

Thank you!!
Original post by TheMVS
Also if you do trip up anywhere at any point and you want something a bit better than the mark scheme to help then youtube search for "MyALevelMathsTutor" where you can watch him go through almost every paper step by step

I use exam solutions (who does the same thing) but thanks!
Original post by ilovereading
Okay so I havent been revising for C1 at all in fact I havent been revising for any of my exams but thats not the point. I have a pretty good knowledge on C1 in terms of theoretical and knowing formulas and rules etc We did a mock recently on C1 in which I just about got an A (note it was an easy paper). I was meant to binge study today by doing loads of past papers but I got distracted which of course I ****ing regret. I am JUST about to start doing papers and I'm gonna be up late but I know I need sleep for an exam. I dont want to do an all nighter because it WILL affect my progress. So whats the MINIMAL about of sleep I need for a C1 exam?? I was thinking 4 hours? So I could go bed at 3am and wake up at 7am? Or could I survive on less?

Aiming for a strong A.

Thanks in advance!

I'm planning an all-nighter. I work best with an abundance of caffeine tablets and a cramming system. I haven't revised C1 at all so I'm essentially attempting to learn it all in about 5 hours....

OP, you could go to bed right now and then wake up early (i.e. 5/5.30am) and do some past papers in the morning?
Reply 14
Hmmm... I'll only be able to answer that question at about midday tomorrow, when I will have either messed it up very much due to a lack of sleep, or managed to have done reasonably well... only time will tell :lol:

I'm aiming for a couple of hours, although I'm not sure how likely that will be.
Reply 15
Original post by laylarose
I'm planning an all-nighter. I work best with an abundance of caffeine tablets and a cramming system. I haven't revised C1 at all so I'm essentially attempting to learn it all in about 5 hours....

Woooo - go all nighters and last minute cramming :five:
Original post by laylarose

OP, you could go to bed right now and then wake up early (i.e. 5/5.30am) and do some past papers in the morning?

Ahhhhh all nighters are the worst, make sure you get at least 3 hours of sleep!! You could drop a grade by being too tired or not be looking at the question properly or not have enough concentration for the exam! I dont recommend it :O But if you feel you work best then GOOD LUCK!! btw where do u get caffeine tablets from? >.<

Just do loads of past papers for C1, thats the most essential bit of revision!

Thank you for suggesting that!! I am going to sleep now and waking up at 4/5am to do 2 hard/latest past papers before I eat a good breakfast and drink a bunch of coffee then sit the exam xD #lifestory
Original post by josh_v
Do not worry about your problems in mathematics, I can assure you that mine are still greater
- Einstein

Oh, and there is no specified sleep:grade ratio.

Promise me this is true :redface:
Original post by ilovereading
Ahhhhh all nighters are the worst, make sure you get at least 3 hours of sleep!! You could drop a grade by being too tired or not be looking at the question properly or not have enough concentration for the exam! I dont recommend it :O But if you feel you work best then GOOD LUCK!! btw where do u get caffeine tablets from? >.<

Just do loads of past papers for C1, thats the most essential bit of revision!

Thank you for suggesting that!! I am going to sleep now and waking up at 4/5am to do 2 hard/latest past papers before I eat a good breakfast and drink a bunch of coffee then sit the exam xD #lifestory

You can get them from Boots or Superdrug. But be careful with them and only use them for a short period of time!

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 19
After sitting the exam I can now confirm that the minimum amount of sleep was over 2 hours.
What a mess.

Quick Reply

Latest