The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Ahhhh right I get that now!! Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries! How are your papers going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 361
Original post by the_googly
not done any yet. plan to do it in last ten days.
currently working my way through every question in the revise for pure core maths 4 heinemann book

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! I'd recommend going onto the past papers as well before that ten day gap because you don't wanna get stuck on questions with little time to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries! How are your papers going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There going okay I guess ranging from 68+, apart from June 2014 where I got 64. Vectors seem to be the topic which is kinda weird as it you get your diagram wrong you get the whole thing wrong haha. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 363
Original post by Jimmy20002012
There going okay I guess ranging from 68+, apart from June 2014 where I got 64. Vectors seem to be the topic which is kinda weird as it you get your diagram wrong you get the whole thing wrong haha. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. Same sort of marks too :smile: I just desperately want 90 UMS in C3 and C4. If any topic is going to trip me up its vectors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh right! I'd recommend going onto the past papers as well before that ten day gap because you don't wanna get stuck on questions with little time to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Problem is I had to self study so I only recently finished the syllabus due to bad scheduling. Therefore my revision is also late. But I'm going to try and finish the revision guide off within next ten days now leaving me 20 days for past papers.

looking at other comments I feel miles behind. :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 365
Problem is I had to self study so I only recently finished the syllabus due to bad scheduling. Therefore my revision is also late. But I'm going to try and finish the revision guide off within next ten days now leaving me 20 days for past papers.

looking at other comments I feel miles behind. :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't give up! You'll be okay! As long as you're not struggling with the exercises in the book I'm sure you'll be fine on past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 366
Does anyone know a way of nailing those kinds of differential equation questions where they ask you to express a derivative like dhdt\frac{dh}{dt} in terms of the original variable, in this case hh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Don't give up! You'll be okay! As long as you're not struggling with the exercises in the book I'm sure you'll be fine on past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 368

No worries! Do you use any other methods to revise? Flash cards, YouTube vids etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Few Questions, Did anyone else find the 2014 mock significantly harder? (I did not do well!)
Also, any good resources for differential equations practice... Seem to mess them up from time to time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I agree. Same sort of marks too :smile: I just desperately want 90 UMS in C3 and C4. If any topic is going to trip me up its vectors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to also be awful at these, but then I realised that all the big vectors questions use the same techniques, and now vectors is one of my strongest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 371
Original post by jjsnyder
I used to also be awful at these, but then I realised that all the big vectors questions use the same techniques, and now vectors is one of my strongest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I find vectors okay now - got full marks on the 2014 question :smile:

Few Questions, Did anyone else find the 2014 mock significantly harder? (I did not do well!)
Also, any good resources for differential equations practice... Seem to mess them up from time to time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2014 was definitely harder, but if you require any solutions I can help. I managed to somehow get 71/75 so I can try explaining things :smile:

Try physicsandmathstutor - it's a great website for topic by topic questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah I find vectors okay now - got full marks on the 2014 question :smile:

2014 was definitely harder, but if you require any solutions I can help. I managed to somehow get 71/75 so I can try explaining things :smile:

Try physicsandmathstutor - it's a great website for topic by topic questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this! I'll check it out, my teacher went through the questions I couldn't do. Basically i got really stuck because I didn't spot the f'(x)/f(x) integral :'(

I'm pretty solid on C4 now though, got 72/75 in a past paper today (70 minutes). My main problem is that I panicked and ran out of time, which I never usually do! Hopefully it won't happen in the real exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 373
Thanks for this! I'll check it out, my teacher went through the questions I couldn't do. Basically i got really stuck because I didn't spot the f'(x)/f(x) integral :'(

I'm pretty solid on C4 now though, got 72/75 in a past paper today (70 minutes). My main problem is that I panicked and ran out of time, which I never usually do! Hopefully it won't happen in the real exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year's paper was noticeably harder but I suspect a similar standard this year. There were doable questions but they were phrased differently, and very sneaky questions that must have caught 90% of people out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries! Do you use any other methods to revise? Flash cards, YouTube vids etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used exam solutions and ukmathsteacher on you tube. I've never made flash cards for any maths module that I've taken so far. Have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 375
I used exam solutions and ukmathsteacher on you tube. I've never made flash cards for any maths module that I've taken so far. Have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Exam solutions is good. I also use Jack Brown's videos.

I've never done flash cards for maths, no. I was debating doing some to remember to trig identities and differentials/integrals, but I decided against it haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Nice! Exam solutions is good. I also use Jack Brown's videos.

I've never done flash cards for maths, no. I was debating doing some to remember to trig identities and differentials/integrals, but I decided against it haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best thing for the trig identities and differentials/integrals is to know how to actually derive them yourself. I know it is more effort to learn that, but if you are interested in maths, it just makes everything a lot easier.
To be honest, and this might sound a little weird, but if you are bored of doing C4 past papers the best way to be good at a maths module is to do a harder one! (I really recommend doing some AEA Papers, I just found some in the last few days and have been giving some of those questions a try, really tests your C1-C4 knowledge!)
Reply 378
Best thing for the trig identities and differentials/integrals is to know how to actually derive them yourself. I know it is more effort to learn that, but if you are interested in maths, it just makes everything a lot easier.

How would you recommend learning this?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 379
To be honest, and this might sound a little weird, but if you are bored of doing C4 past papers the best way to be good at a maths module is to do a harder one! (I really recommend doing some AEA Papers, I just found some in the last few days and have been giving some of those questions a try, really tests your C1-C4 knowledge!)

Where can I access these papers?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending