The Student Room Group

C1 min and max

Hey, could anyone explain to me how you can tell whether there's a minimum or a maximum when you complete the square ?
Reply 1
Original post by paulina1111
Hey, could anyone explain to me how you can tell whether there's a minimum or a maximum when you complete the square ?

You can find the minimum point of a curve by completing the square by making the bits in the bracket equal to 0.
When the squared bit is zero f(x) reaches its minimum values, meaning it reaches its lowest point.

Example,
F(x) = 3x^2-6x-7
F(x)=3(x-1)^2 - 10 (minus 10 is minimum)
F(1)= 3(1-1)^2 -10. = -10
Therefore when x=1 the minimum is -10

Apologie sif it doesnt mqke sense and good luck
Reply 2
Original post by asifa129
You can find the minimum point of a curve by completing the square by making the bits in the bracket equal to 0.
When the squared bit is zero f(x) reaches its minimum values, meaning it reaches its lowest point.

Example,
F(x) = 3x^2-6x-7
F(x)=3(x-1)^2 - 10 (minus 10 is minimum)
F(1)= 3(1-1)^2 -10. = -10
Therefore when x=1 the minimum is -10

Apologie sif it doesnt mqke sense and good luck

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much :smile:

Did it make sense??

are you sitting c1 tomorrow?
If so good luck and all the best
Reply 4
Did it make sense??

are you sitting c1 tomorrow?
If so good luck and all the best

Yeah it did and yeah unfortunately so :frown: History is going to be the death of me though.
Reply 5
Yeah it did and yeah unfortunately so :frown: History is going to be the death of me though.

Got friends who do history and they are dreading tomorrows exam... Ive got c1... Hope its an easy paper....

Best of luck...
Reply 6
Got friends who do history and they are dreading tomorrows exam... Ive got c1... Hope its an easy paper....

Best of luck...

Fingers crossed, Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending