The Student Room Group

OCR Latin AS 2015

How did you find the exam? I think i got around 65 on question 1 but really struggled on question 2.

Scroll to see replies

Weirdly i reckon i dropped a smaller percentage in question 2 - lots of vocab in both bits which i struggled to work out, and id br interested to know the correct answer for the bit about the wife, slave girls, and wool.
Reply 2
Original post by Maudbaring
'they found Lucretia devoted to her wool among slave girls' I think.....

Thats what i got
Original post by Brian luiz
Thats what i got

That makes a lot of sense! I think i translated it wool as an ablative instead of dative :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Maudbaring
'they found Lucretia devoted to her wool among slave girls' I think.....

Do you recall the whole sentence in Latin?
Reply 5
Original post by Historandpliny
(Please tell me if there is some kind of rule against didcussing exam material within the 24 hours of the exam and ill hastily delete!) It was something along the lines of ' Ibi Lucretiam deditam Iunae inter ancillas invenerunt'

Everything has been discusses on TSR, so, even if it exists, it's ineffective :P

Damn. I confused ancilla with aquila.First mistake I notice thus far. Is ancilla in the vocab list?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Everything has been discusses on TSR, so, even if it exists, it's ineffective :P

Damn. I confused ancilla with aquila.First mistake I notice thus far. Is ancilla in the vocab list?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interestingly it isn't! Perhaps its something they assume you will know due to it's appearance on The Cambridge Latin course etc ?? I'm pretty sure they don't have any numbers on the vocab list either, possibly for similar reasons.

I think 'orto certamine' was harsh for section A. For some reason i assumed it came from 'oro'
Reply 7
Original post by Historandpliny
Interestingly it isn't! Perhaps its something they assume you will know due to it's appearance on The Cambridge Latin course etc ?? I'm pretty sure they don't have any numbers on the vocab list either, possibly for similar reasons.

I think 'orto certamine' was harsh for section A. For some reason i assumed it came from 'oro'

I believe they'll accept any decision (like they did in Greek last year with something similar).

Numerals are taken account of in the specification, but I've not seen ancilla before to be honest. Hopefully they'll be lenient.

The phrase meant "With a contest having begun". Orto comes from orior (start, originate, begin).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe they'll accept any decision (like they did in Greek last year with something similar).

Numerals are taken account of in the specification, but I've not seen ancilla before to be honest. Hopefully they'll be lenient.

The phrase meant "With a contest having begun". Orto comes from orior (start, originate, begin).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed, as I discovered talking to my friends. I think I was caught up in the excitement of the Ablative absolute.
I thought the paper was quite alright overall, I found the Cicero easier than the first passage strangely but I hope it all turns out okay!
Also does anyone who does latin also do Ancient Greek? because i did my language paper today and i feel like i messed it up quite a bit :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by cocohotloco
I thought the paper was quite alright overall, I found the Cicero easier than the first passage strangely but I hope it all turns out okay!
Also does anyone who does latin also do Ancient Greek? because i did my language paper today and i feel like i messed it up quite a bit :/

Yeah, me. Pretty satisfied overall, but I'll admit this was probably the most difficult paper from 2009 onwards. Was it anything in specific that troubled you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, me. Pretty satisfied overall, but I'll admit this was probably the most difficult paper from 2009 onwards. Was it anything in specific that troubled you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest it was more the first passage for some reason, the vocab I think, there were a few verbs in there which I did not recognise at all :/ but the Lysias was quite nice and straightforward. The first passage is really making me worried because I didnt get a very good understanding of the story and i think i had a total space out moment because I've been doing really well all year :frown:
Reply 12
To be honest it was more the first passage for some reason, the vocab I think, there were a few verbs in there which I did not recognise at all :/ but the Lysias was quite nice and straightforward. The first passage is really making me worried because I didnt get a very good understanding of the story and i think i had a total space out moment because I've been doing really well all year :frown:

I actually found the first one more tricky as well. Too many constructions and, in particular, too many participles. How did you translate "ως τυράννων τεθνεωτων" by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually found the first one more tricky as well. Too many constructions and, in particular, too many participles. How did you translate "ως τυράννων τεθνεωτων" by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found that bit so hard to translate!! I think i said something completely wrong as I didn't recognise τεθνεωτων as being from θνήσκω but it would probably be like when/because the tyrants died?? im not too sure though but i think i said something completely wrong like being controlled by the tyrants so i'm kinda screwed and very worried about my result :/ but at least someone else found it tricky (i'm the only one in my class so i have no one to compare with ahah) to die, be dying
Reply 14
I found that bit so hard to translate!! I think i said something completely wrong as I didn't recognise τεθνεωτων as being from θνήσκω but it would probably be like when/because the tyrants died?? im not too sure though but i think i said something completely wrong like being controlled by the tyrants so i'm kinda screwed and very worried about my result :/ but at least someone else found it tricky (i'm the only one in my class so i have no one to compare with ahah) to die, be dying

That part was the most tricky for me.

I translated it as "as if they had been killed by the tyrants", because it implied that all Thebes suddenly disappeared. That makes it a hypothetical participle, though in all honesty I'm not really sure.

Hopefully they'll adjust the grade boundaries accordingly (one can hope :P).

Something that troubled some other people was "τα μελλοντα" in the second unseen. I translated it as "the future events", though that may have been too literal there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That part was the most tricky for me.

I translated it as "as if they had been killed by the tyrants", because it implied that all Thebes suddenly disappeared. That makes it a hypothetical participle, though in all honesty I'm not really sure.

Hopefully they'll adjust the grade boundaries accordingly (one can hope :P).

Something that troubled some other people was "τα μελλοντα" in the second unseen. I translated it as "the future events", though that may have been too literal there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope the grade boundaries will be nice! I translated that bit quite loosely as the intended things or like the things which were intended i cant really remember to be honest, I've tried not to think about it too much but I guess that hasn't worked if i'm still worrying about it :/ oh well we can only hope for nice grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 16
I really hope the grade boundaries will be nice! I translated that bit quite loosely as the intended things or like the things which were intended i cant really remember to be honest, I've tried not to think about it too much but I guess that hasn't worked if i'm still worrying about it :/ oh well we can only hope for nice grade boundaries :smile:

I see. I hope so as well! Best of luck mate!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The translation was hard - just didn't recognise some of the verb forms, and they included a few words not on the vocab list which threw me a bit. Did the prose comp sentences for Section B and weirdly they were easier.

Greek and Latin lit on Monday is going to be fun :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Original post by Lindissa
The translation was hard - just didn't recognise some of the verb forms, and they included a few words not on the vocab list which threw me a bit. Did the prose comp sentences for Section B and weirdly they were easier.

Do you happen to remember which ones you're referring to?
Original post by Lindissa

Yeah that vocab threw me off so much too! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found it hard! Next Monday will be my death I'm sure of it :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending