The Student Room Group

Should London underground implement women's only coach?

So women wont feel uncomfortable especially during peak hour where everyone squeeze against each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

**** no. Plus it'd never work as people like myself (of which there are circumambiant amounts) would go push into there just on principle. It's the underground *****. Don't get on a train if you can't deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yea, would be nice not to get my ass groped :smile: but i don't think it would work although Japan has women only carriages:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stupid idea. Not only would this label females even more than they are in todays society it would obviously cause controversy among males and probably promote more sexism. I know this doesn't apply to everyone or every situation, but chances are when someone is "groping" or "grinding" you they aren't whatsoever, its just them swaying because of the train. Theres a big difference between someone bumping into you on a packed train and them grabbing your breasts or bum.
Original post by GnomeMage
So women wont feel uncomfortable especially during peak hour where everyone squeeze against each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course not.

Should London Underground implement a men's only coach?

So men won't feel uncomfortable especially during peak hour where everyone squeezes against each other.
Reply 5
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
**** no. Plus it'd never work as people like myself (of which there are circumambiant amounts) would go push into there just on principle. It's the underground *****. Don't get on a train if you can't deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

gentlemen?
Only if they pay extra for the privilege.

Is this so they don't get pictures taken of them while they eat?
gentlemen?

If being a gentleman propogates the special privelege of women over men, then I quite trenchantly accept not being one. I've had my phallus accidentally rustled by women too. It happens. Get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But then we'll have a whole fuss about which carriage transexuals go into.
Reply 9
Original post by Charles97
Stupid idea. Not only would this label females even more than they are in todays society it would obviously cause controversy among males and probably promote more sexism. I know this doesn't apply to everyone or every situation, but chances are when someone is "groping" or "grinding" you they aren't whatsoever, its just them swaying because of the train. Theres a big difference between someone bumping into you on a packed train and them grabbing your breasts or bum.

Oh I know the difference between bumping and someone's filthy hand squeezing my butt! Not saying that everyone who bumps into me in groping :smile:
definitely agree about the sexism part and separating men and women wouldn't get rid of the initial problem. Plus nobody has time for going to their own carriage when the train station is packed in the middle of the rush hour :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
WHAT? XD Bit extreme I'd say!

If it makes you feel uncomfortable there are many other ways to travel. Like you can get a taxi or bus?
I can't imagine that going down well
Reply 12
Original post by Pop_tart
WHAT? XD Bit extreme I'd say!

If it makes you feel uncomfortable there are many other ways to travel. Like you can get a taxi or bus?

extreme? it is a very common thing. Most countries have lady's pick coach.
Reply 13
Not unless they are being groped like in Japan
Groping is not a problem, we are not Japan
extreme? it is a very common thing. Most countries have lady's pick coach.

Where do they have women only underground carriages? I saw an article that said Mexico has implemented some but that is it.

Lady only coaches is a different thing, we are talking about the London Underground here and I cannot see how that would work. Can you imagine standing on the platform and someone announcing, please be aware the next train is for women only - they'd have a hard time making sure men don't get in I think.

I mean I'm a guy and have never experienced any kind of sexual harrassment so yeah my first thought was wow bit extreme - perhaps if I had been a woman I would have had a different initial reaction.

In some ways I think it's just tackling a problem the wrong way? Excuse my ignorance this is not my area of expertise! :P
Original post by Maid Marian
But then we'll have a whole fuss about which carriage transexuals go into.

lmao
Original post by al_94
Not unless they are being groped like in Japan

Have had worse things than groping happen to me on the tube. A man openly grabbed my friend's boob as he got off the tube once. She was either 15 or 16 at the time; it was just after Year 11 GCSEs.

However, I don't feel like the creation of a woman's only carriage would do anything to stop things like this from happening and it gives out the message that men are bad; that it is all men, when it is clearly a small minority who behave like this. I don't think that such a move would have positive effects at all and would only further isolate men/women and cause more resentment.
Reply 18
Only if we can have white-people only coaches/areas too. Either statistical discrimination is justified, or it isnt.

The vast majority of men do not grope women - yes some do, but most don't. If the existence of a small minority justifies segregation then "white people only" areas seems like an appropriate response to the fact that (eg) black people commit much, much more crime on average, even if most black people are not criminals.

It would actually be interesting to see the racial breakdown of Underground gropers - for example, certain non-white groups are far more likely to engage in street harassment/cat-calling even if the media usually tries to avoid mentioning this uncomfortable fact whenever the issue comes up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nope. Would just cause more problems.

Quick Reply

Latest