The Student Room Group

Core 1 June 2015 Discussion

How did you think the exam went for you?

Personally I couldn't answer question 5, the one about p and using the discriminant to find it.

I also struggled with question 10, the second part. I came out with a nasty quadratic that I couldn't factorise, complete the square, or use the quadratic formula on.

Other than that I managed to answer all the other questions! :smile:
For p you had to get the values and put it into b^2-4ac then factorise it. I think I got a 16 somewhere. Then divded it by 2 an then 4 or something of that sort.

On one of them asking for the distance of A and B you had to get root 90= 3 root 10. Use the formula of distance.

Overall it was it was ok.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Yea but the problem for the p one I know you had to do that. But the equation it wanted you to get included p^2. But B in that equation was 4 from 4x, so there was no way to get p^2 as far as I could see, since the only vaules of p were in the a and c parts of the equation.

And yea it wasnt that question i struggled with. It was the one about finding the x-coordinate on the curve with a parallel line, the very last question.
Reply 3
Original post by Adam0410
Yea but the problem for the p one I know you had to do that. But the equation it wanted you to get included p^2. But B in that equation was 4 from 4x, so there was no way to get p^2 as far as I could see, since the only vaules of p were in the a and c parts of the equation.

And yea it wasnt that question i struggled with. It was the one about finding the x-coordinate on the curve with a parallel line, the very last question.

I used the quadratic formula for that question and got something like x>3/2 + 2root2, and x<3/2 -2root2
I found Q10 horrid too because long integration questions are horrid and I usually make a stupid, pathetic mistake like not carrying a power over and thus the entire question is ruined.

However, for 5 I did pretty well I think

I got p^2+6p-1>0

I used the quadratic formula to find p because it doesn't factorise and ended up with some okay looking surds.
Reply 5
Think I used completing the square to solve p. (Don't remember using the quadratic formula at all.)
Reply 6
Question 7?! y=2^x
Q5 and Q10 I could hardly do. I attempted Q5 and then gave up, it was like WTF. Like nothing I have ever seen, I don't understand why the exam board don't just give us the questions in the format we learnt instead of making it all jumped up.
Original post by ZeroShun
I used the quadratic formula for that question and got something like x>3/2 + 2root2, and x<3/2 -2root2

Same here.
Reply 9
y=2^x
4^x=(2^2)^x=2^2x
2y=2^2x
right?
Reply 10
What was the value of K from 5K ?
Reply 11
I forgot to find the c in the f(x) question and integrating question 10 was pretty tricky. How many marks do you think it was to find the c and put it into the equation?

Second part of question 10 was really sneaky, you had to rearrange the equation they gave you into y=mx+c and then find the gradient. After that you had to use the dx/dy equation to find out what the x co-ordinate was by making it = 2 (-1/2) was the gradient of the normal. I managed to come to the conclusion that x^2 = 9 so i made x = + or - 3

4th question was 4^x = y^2 so you had to sub in y into the equation. Pretty sure that was a c2 question lol.

How did people find the other questions?

I'm not too sure about the money question, I worked out that k=11 so i used n=10 for the sum of the money from 1-10 years and then added 10x(her peak) to find the total for the 20 years

1st question confused me so i moved on and came back to it, managed to work out 3 + the root of 10
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending