The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Biology B1 12 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Is it me or are the eutrophication questions going down in marks every year?
Original post by Aubergineator
Yeah I wrote about eutrophication and how it causes the death of aquatic animals! Basically went through the stages of it! :smile:

Is it me or are the marks for the eutrophication questions going down every year?
Original post by TooHaZardous
Is it me or are the marks for the eutrophication questions going down every year?

yeah I think they are to be honest, was it only a 3-4 mark this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the things annoying me most is that I could have lost marks because of a stupid maths based question in a biology exam! 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Phlox
They do but you have to state the problems which means that you either state the problems outright or link the steps to the problems they cause e.g: algae grows on the surface and this is a problem because it kills plants that are underneath due to a lack of photosynthesis.

Oh I did that! It's all good :smile:
Original post by Scarlett2747
The mucus blocks the tube the sperm go through, i asked my teacher but i had no clue in the exam because we was not taught it and was not in cgp.

You have to use logic for this its why it started with the word SUGEST !
What did you guys write for the energy lost in food chain and the grade boundaries are 23/60 for a C 27/60 for a B 34/60 for a A and 41/60 for a A*
It's 92%
It will never ever be 41 for an A* let alone an A.
Can someone tell me about the questions about the pH blocks things? I remember the first and last one was one about describing the blocks and the last about eutrophixation. Cans someone five me the questions? I really don't remember for that part? Thankss
What was the answer to the calculation question about enery and food chains

I got 8% 😰😫
What did everyone else get
I got 74.1%
Reply 212
But the grade boundaries are gonna be so high ygm
It was if I can remember correctly 5/12 x 100 = 41.66666% which is 42% because the values given to us where given to a maximum of 2 significant figures !
Original post by THESTRESS
Can someone tell me about the questions about the pH blocks things? I remember the first and last one was one about describing the blocks and the last about eutrophixation. Cans someone five me the questions? I really don't remember for that part? Thankss

No pH on the dual award i.e not on paper 1 of IGCSE you sure you don't me gcse ?
Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER
Yeah because there was 2 Hh which means they have the disease

It was 75%. Filling in the Punnett square correctly left you with HH, Hh, Hh and hh. They needed at least one dominant gene to have the disease and there are three genotypes with dominant genes. 3/4 = 75%
Reply 216
Original post by Idirss123
What did you guys write for the energy lost in food chain and the grade boundaries are 23/60 for a C 27/60 for a B 34/60 for a A and 41/60 for a A*

I got 92% for that question, and how do you know that they are the grade boundaries?
Original post by Aubergineator
Hey,
okay so I'm in year ten and this year I'll be doing Unit one, two and three of both biology and physics and chemistry will be left for year eleven! I was feeling pretty confident before reading this thread but I've realised that I may have made some really silly mistakes! First thing I did was check the six marks and was relieved and then the fertility and cystic fibrosis question got me and I can only remember writing something about mucus and also the man possibly having a low sperm count just to be safe as I had no clue. The other question I was unsure of was the second percentage as I got 8% which I've found to be incorrect! Also does anyone know whether labelling it as dendron would count rather than dendrite? Okay sorry for waffling I'm just feeling panicky about it after reading this thread!

I wrote dendron :frown:
I don't understand why it was a dendrite though :frown:(
They wont accept dendron I'm positive unfortunately.
Original post by Niknik
I got 92% for that question, and how do you know that they are the grade boundaries?

Those 100% are not the boundaries.
They will be around 54/60 A*, 45/60 A, 38/60 B
because the test was extremely easy to be fair, just silly mistakes so the boundaries will be very high.
Energy lost was 92%, but no the boundaries will be so much higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending