The Student Room Group

No idea where to ask this but which subject should I drop based on these uni courses?

Hello, I'm approaching the end of my first year of Sixth Form and I have been pondering which subject to drop at the end. I am currently studying:

History
Politics
Psychology
Sociology
(All at AS level, though I'm also doing an EPQ about history and political/economic theory which apparently counts as 'half an A-Level')

The courses that I have looked at are:

- PPE (anywhere that I don't need maths - Oxford does not demand it but asks for a background in either maths or history).
- Politics (Most likely at LSE if I could get in)
- Possibly social policy (again at LSE) or some combination of social policy and politics, if such a course is ever offered.

Anyway, which of the subject should I drop at AS (I'm definitely carrying on with History and Politics). My mum suggests that I drop sociology because universities tend to think highly of psychology and sociology is seen as a 'soft subject' (I disagree, I find psychology to be the easiest of my subjects) though I feel that based on the courses I want to do an the universities that I plan to apply for, dropping psychology would be a better choice as it is the least relevant to what I want to do.

What do people think I should drop/continue?
Reply 1
I think you should drop psychology. Psychology is easier than sociology as I did both of them at AS but sociology is more related to politics and social policy. There's a lot of essay writing in sociology but I assume you are good at this doing history. As long as you get the grades needed then I don't think it would matter whether you keep psychology or sociology due to them both being social sciences but I'd say stick with sociology overall. However if you enjoy psychology more and feel that you could excel in this then keep psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i d say drop psychology for those subject choices:smile:
Reply 3
History-useless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Psycology is more respected than sociology, but sociology is more relevant. Tough call.
Psychology
Original post by KingStannis
Psycology is more respected than sociology...

I think this is (justly or otherwise) true at degree level, where psychology is to some extent lab-based and can be very statty. But I wonder whether and why psychology A level would be better regarded to an extent that would make any difference.
Reply 7
Original post by KingStannis
Psycology is more respected than sociology, but sociology is more relevant. Tough call.

Honestly I don't know why it would be more respected as an A-Level. It is incredibly easy, half the revision booklet is written in comic sans and seems unsure as to whether it is a biological science or a social science.

It is thought of more highly, which is why I was reluctant to do sociology (I wanted to do economics originally, but option blocks wouldn't let me), but I find myself leaning more to the opposite side as time goes on. Sociology is easy in comparison to history and politics as far as essays go, but psychology just feels like a poor man's biology to me.
Depends on your degree. Now, is your degree BA or BSc? If it's a BSc then I suggest you drop sociology as I know some unis accept Psychology as a science, rather than a Humanities. If it's a BA, I think it wouldn't matter too greatly, but perhaps you should stick with Sociology as that is more related to your course than psychology.

However, you should go with the one you dislike the most!
Reply 9
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Depends on your degree. Now, is your degree BA or BSc? If it's a BSc then I suggest you drop sociology as I know some unis accept Psychology as a science, rather than a Humanities. If it's a BA, I think it wouldn't matter too greatly, but perhaps you should stick with Sociology as that is more related to your course than psychology.

However, you should go with the one you dislike the most!

I'd most likely go for a BA (I don't think Oxford, LSE or any of the less prestigious universities that I'm thinking of applying to consider Politics to be a science). So I should drop Psychology then? I guess that makes the most sense, thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think this is (justly or otherwise) true at degree level, where psychology is to some extent lab-based and can be very statty. But I wonder whether and why psychology A level would be better regarded to an extent that would make any difference.

I done psychology and sociology AS and kept on psychology for A2. I think psychology is more well known and can lead to more professional jobs than sociology. I think sociology is also much more newer than psychology which is probably why psychology has more respect in that sense. I had no idea it even existed before I got to year 11 and we had the option to pick it at GCSE which I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drop the one you get the lowest grade in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by r-t
I think sociology is also much more newer than psychology which is probably why psychology has more respect in that sense. I had no idea it even existed before I got to year 11 and we had the option to pick it at GCSE which I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a relatively new a level, but the academic discipline has been around for at least as long as psychology has.
Reply 13
Original post by J.SMART
It's a relatively new a level, but the academic discipline has been around for at least as long as psychology has.

Oh I never knew that, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Origami Bullets
Drop the one you get the lowest grade in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really the best strategy. The one that you get the lowest grade in could be the one that you enjoy the most and want to study at degree level but things just didn't work out in the exam or stuff happened throughout the year. I dropped an AS which I achieved an A in for favour of a C subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Not really the best strategy. The one that you get the lowest grade in could be the one that you enjoy the most and want to study at degree level but things just didn't work out in the exam or stuff happened throughout the year. I dropped an AS which I achieved an A in for favour of a C subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP is interested in subjects that require neither sociology or psychology. They also don't state a particular liking for one over the other.

Given those two things, in this particular case, the best chance of getting into uni will come with the better grades, with no apparent detriment in other regards.
Both psychology and sociology are soft subjects. Drop the one you find harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
In this case I don't think it matters.
Reply 18
Original post by reallydontknow
Both psychology and sociology are soft subjects. Drop the one you find harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is true. I only did sociology because option blocks wouldn't let me do economics, and the only other subjects that I could do were French or Spanish (I've never studied French and couldn't stand Spanish GCSE), English language (diabolical) or RE (perhaps the softest of them all).

Problem is I don't find either of them particularly hard. My psychology teacher says that I am (annoyingly) good at it, and sociology is just an easier version of the other subjects I'm doing. I have had trouble with time in exams and sociology is more essay based, but if I'm doing A2 History I can't see that mattering too much. The grade I get will always depend entirely on the exam.
Look at it this way: drop whichever you think will help you least in your life or at least career.

Sociology is based more on 'herd thinking', namely it generalizes people and attempts to predict their actions and how they will influence society as a whole. Keep this if you want to be a political/historical analyst, journalist, or the sort.

Psychology is more useful for yourself as it allows you to interpret people's actions and words better, helping you personally in pretty much everything in life that involves human interaction. Besides, if you manage to grasp body language well enough and apply psychology, you'll be a human life detector with most people. So you might want this if you're gonna become a politician

Well, this is how I interpreted it from reading a few random school books on these two subjects. Considering that I haven't studied either of the subjects academically and the difference in exam boards, take my words with a good deal of salt (in other words, *disclaimer* xD).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending