The Student Room Group

Will i be disqualified for accidentally using a calculator?

Hi i did my core 1 resit today, take note of the resit, and i did it with a calculator.
for those who dont know its a non calculator test but i had forgotten that as i was revising for my A2 exams. i was running late so i missed all the announcements and went straight into the paper to catch up.
however i realised it was non calculator halfway through and unfortunatley so did the invigilators
luckily they believed me when i said i forgot and the fact i wasnt trying to hide it works in my favour but now im really scared OCR will ban me from all exams just because i made 1 mistake in a resit :'( if anyone could give insight on whether ill get banned or not i would be very grateful

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What did the invigilators say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by howard97
Hi i did my core 1 resit today, take note of the resit, and i did it with a calculator.
for those who dont know its a non calculator test but i had forgotten that as i was revising for my A2 exams. i was running late so i missed all the announcements and went straight into the paper to catch up.
however i realised it was non calculator halfway through and unfortunatley so did the invigilators
luckily they believed me when i said i forgot and the fact i wasnt trying to hide it works in my favour but now im really scared OCR will ban me from all exams just because i made 1 mistake in a resit :'( if anyone could give insight on whether ill get banned or not i would be very grateful

Were most people using a calculator? Didn't you check to see if others had a calculator on their table?

Posted from TSR Mobile
however i realised it was non calculator halfway through
and unfortunatley so did the invigilators

I don't think the exam board will see that this is justified properly and you had an advantage over everyone else in the exam hall.

Stuff like this happens to everyone because you are just so caught up with other stuff that you forget the simplest things.

Just hope for the best(fingers crossed it will work out):smile:
Reply 4

Ouch, sounds bad.
Did the invigilators take note of anything, record your seat number etc?
They do have to report anything that happens - exam conditions but seeing as they believed you when you told them the truth you just *might* get away with it.
Sounds harsh, hopefully you don't get penalised though. Mistakes were made and you were simply in a rush.
Reply 5
A tricky one. The C1 paper only really has any challenge because it is non-calculator, and so having a calculator puts you at a significant advantage. The fact that you missed the announcements is, unfortunately, unimportant. You should know the details of the exam and the rules you must follow prior to sitting it, and so this situation looks like nothing more than you failing to follow the rules that you really should know.

Whether or not you are banned is now entirely up to whether the invigilators decide to report you, and unfortunately, if they do, it's quite likely that you will be sanctioned in some way. If you are reported, the best you can hope for is to be given a U for the paper.
Reply 6
Thanks for the insight everyone tbh i couldnt really care about that paper as i got a B last year i just wanted an A, however i do care about not being able to take my normal exams because of one mistake
Reply 7
Original post by VannR
A tricky one. The C1 paper only really has any challenge because it is non-calculator, and so having a calculator puts you at a significant advantage. The fact that you missed the announcements is, unfortunately, unimportant. You should know the details of the exam and the rules you must follow prior to sitting it, and so this situation looks like nothing more than you failing to follow the rules that you really should know.

Whether or not you are banned is now entirely up to whether the invigilators decide to report you, and unfortunately, if they do, it's quite likely that you will be sanctioned in some way. If you are reported, the best you can hope for is to be given a U for the paper.

Yes hopefully and yes it was my fault/ mistake but i honestly didnt mean it
Reply 8
tbh you'll probably get 0 for the paper, you cheated and the exam boards don't care if it's intentional or accidental. if it's a resit, whatever you got last time is likely to count. this is if they don't ban you.
did you use the calculator? not that it's important - i'm quite certain you will face consequences but i sincerely hope you don't.
I think what will happen mainly depends on what the invigilators do.
It was there fault too, for failing to see you blatantly having your calculator out.
Reply 11
It might not have been intentional and I do believe you, but it's still not fair on others who had to do all the calculations in their head..
Yes i agree its not justifiable but it was a mistake that i dont want 13 years of hard almost straight A work to be rebuked for surely you could understand how horrible that would be just because i made a stupid mistake
its not like i wanted to cheat on a resit

Yes, i understand you.

It depends on the exam board and how they retrieve the information from the invigilators.

You may loose some marks for using a calculator.

No one really could tell you how the exam board will deal with this because i have never/ know a person who has done that apart from a phone ringing in one of my GCSE exams last year.

I know its hard but just hope for the best, you never know they could be nice and let you off since you did not do it deliberately:smile:.
Reply 13
Original post by German123
Yes, i understand you.

It depends on the exam board and how they retrieve the information from the invigilators.

You may loose some marks for using a calculator.

No one really could tell you how the exam board will deal with this because i have never/ know a person who has done that apart from a phone ringing in one of my GCSE exams last year.

I know its hard but just hope for the best, you never know they could be nice and let you off since you did not do it deliberately:smile:.

Thank you this is just the support i needed :smile: i wasn't expecting the amount of negative comments i've got
Reply 14
Original post by goodies
It might not have been intentional and I do believe you, but it's still not fair on others who had to do all the calculations in their head..

Yes it is which is why i offered for it to be ripped up but they said no
Reply 15
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
I think what will happen mainly depends on what the invigilators do.
It was there fault too, for failing to see you blatantly having your calculator out.

This is quite true it was on the desk the entire time
Reply 16
Original post by nayana71
Get lost.

Also im not sure what will happen in this situation.. you cant exactly resit twice can you? How far into the paper were you if it was more than half then examining board might have to fail you but if it was only a few questions they might just regard them as incorrect and mark the rest of your paper as normal? i seriously dont know Why didnt u check your equipment b4 u went into the exam and u must have had rubbish invigilators if they only realised yiu were using a calculator half way through the paper.

I know i was rushing to get in though and i accept its 100% my fault although invigilators were walking past all the time throughout
Thank you this is just the support i needed :smile: i wasn't expecting the amount of negative comments i've got

Sorry for the negative comments you are retrieving but people are just trying to be blunt. I mean there is no point sugar coating things when the reality is something else.

Some examiners are harsh whilst others have a kind heart.

Edit: I really hope things work out for you, don't lose hope. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by German123
Sorry for the negative comments you are retrieving but people are just trying to be blunt. I mean there is no point sugar coating things when the reality is something else.

Some examiners are harsh whilst others have a kind heart.

Edit: I really hope things work out for you, don't lose hope. :smile:

Oh i can take the harsh reality i just don't like the ones where people are saying i should be banned i dont think thats the sort of support this website was created for
I wont lose hope however as i have made a signed appeal after being recommended by the college
Oh i can take the harsh reality i just don't like the ones where people are saying i should be banned i dont think thats the sort of support this website was created for
I wont lose hope however as i have made a signed appeal after being recommended by the college

Yes, perhaps people were to negative.

It is really debatable as to whether you should get banned because you did not do it deliberately but had an advantage over others.

And, i know its hard but keep going, don't let this affect the rest of your exam performance.:smile:

Latest