The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by German123
Yes, perhaps people were to negative.

It is really debatable as to whether you should get banned because you did not do it deliberately but had an advantage over others.

And, i know its hard but keep going, don't let this affect the rest of your exam performance.:smile:

Yes i understand i had an advantage so i recommended the exam board to rip it up or something to make it fair, however if i am banned from every exam I dont know what i would do thats my dream course and dream job gone
also thanks for the recommendation i couldnt reply as your message inbox is full or something
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by howard97
Yes i understand i had an advantage so i recommended the exam board to rip it up or something to make it fair, however if i am banned from every exam I dont know what i would do thats my dream course and dream job gone
also thanks for the recommendation i couldnt reply as your message inbox is full or something

Ahh yes, i need to clear my inbox and i don't think you will be banned from every exam, well, at least not from other exam boards.

If they rip it up then you will be fine.

You should Pm that guy i inboxed you about, he should know the answer to your question.:smile:
Reply 22
Original post by German123
Ahh yes, i need to clear my inbox and i don't think you will be banned from every exam, well, at least not from other exam boards.

If they rip it up then you will be fine.

You should Pm that guy i inboxed you about, he should know the answer to your question.:smile:

I have thank you very much i feel better already :smile:
You could get disqualified for this offence
I have thank you very much i feel better already :smile:

:smile:
At the very least. I reckon the resit will be cancelled, as in you will fail it but keep your other grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll probably get 0 for this resit, but will be able to sit the rest of your exams. If they don't void this C1 exam, that's REALLY unfair, the whole point of C1 is that you can't use a calculator to check answers.
Although I don't know the procedure, I hope that they don't disqualify you. Good luck! :smile:
Your best bet is to speak to the Head of Maths and explain what happened. They can contact the exam board and let you know exactly what the situation is.

The fact that the calculator was used means you will probably get 0 for this paper, however, because you were not hiding it means that it is likely to be viewed as a genuine mistake on your part, and on the invigilator's part for not noticing. Banning you from all the exams would be harsh (but not totally unlikely) but this sanction is usually kept for people who deliberately cheat, for example using their phone in the exam.
Hi i did my core 1 resit today, take note of the resit, and i did it with a calculator.
for those who dont know its a non calculator test but i had forgotten that as i was revising for my A2 exams. i was running late so i missed all the announcements and went straight into the paper to catch up.
however i realised it was non calculator halfway through and unfortunatley so did the invigilators
luckily they believed me when i said i forgot and the fact i wasnt trying to hide it works in my favour but now im really scared OCR will ban me from all exams just because i made 1 mistake in a resit :'( if anyone could give insight on whether ill get banned or not i would be very grateful

did they let u finish the paper? and did they take like a statement from u or what?
Reply 30
Original post by MollieMoo72
Your best bet is to speak to the Head of Maths and explain what happened. They can contact the exam board and let you know exactly what the situation is.

The fact that the calculator was used means you will probably get 0 for this paper, however, because you were not hiding it means that it is likely to be viewed as a genuine mistake on your part, and on the invigilator's part for not noticing. Banning you from all the exams would be harsh (but not totally unlikely) but this sanction is usually kept for people who deliberately cheat, for example using their phone in the exam.

Okay that makes sense looking back im suprised it took them that long to notice i will definitely talk to the head of maths
Reply 31
Original post by stickstickstick
You'll probably get 0 for this resit, but will be able to sit the rest of your exams. If they don't void this C1 exam, that's REALLY unfair, the whole point of C1 is that you can't use a calculator to check answers.

Yeah i agree i dont want the grade because it wasnt done properly
Reply 32
Original post by jonnypdot
did they let u finish the paper? and did they take like a statement from u or what?

They let me finish even though i didnt want to and they took a statement. Luckily they believed i wasnt cheating and im asking the exam board to discount the mark
I think they'd be incredibly harsh if they disqualified you from all your exams, so hopefully they will understand and let you have the B from last yr. good luck
Reply 34
They don't care about context I'm afraid. As far as they're concerned, you cheated.
Reply 35
Original post by Exon
They don't care about context I'm afraid. As far as they're concerned, you cheated.

Okay, ill just wait and see what happens
Reply 36
I think that the fair thing to do would be to disregard your marks on that paper, automatic U, but allow you to continue with the rest of your exams.
According to the rules for suspected malpractice, using a calculator when prohibited will lead to a loss of marks (either for a section or the whole unit). Details are on page 40 of the document found here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/malpractice/suspected-malpractice-in-examinations-and-assessments-2014-15.

If you hadn't used the calculator, you would have just got a warning.
Reply 38
It would be incredibly unfair to disqualify you from all exams. They should just not let you have your resit mark (you said you got a B earlier, so this isn't that bad).
Reply 39
Original post by Remne
I think that the fair thing to do would be to disregard your marks on that paper, automatic U, but allow you to continue with the rest of your exams.

Yes i am hoping that to be the case

Latest