The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 & C3 (14th May 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mghp
Please don't tell me that's C2:frown:

Nah it's c3 (unfortunately for me) 😅😅
Reply 121
Original post by maxjackson5
A six mark question on why a simple covalent structure is a gas at room temperature but a giant covalent structure is a solid, would be absolutely beautiful. I am praying.

If it was, what would you say?
the 6 marker , is cannot be an experiment , because both in June 2013 and June 2012 , experiments were asked to be carried out. Last year , it was different, so its likely it might be asking for an evaluation of nanoparticles or even Gas chromatography.

Personally , I think it might be electrolysis of brine.
Original post by kaypd
If it was, what would you say?

Simple covalent structure: Strong covalent bonds between atoms but weak intermolecular forces between molecules can be overcome by low temperatures so is a gas at room temperature. Low melting/boiling point.

Ionic bond: Giant ionic lattice has strong electrostatic forces of attraction in all directions which need huge amounts of energy to be overcome therefore it has a high melting/boiling point. Therefore, solid at room temperature.

Hope this helps!
Reply 124
Original post by Jules12345
what do we think for six marker on c2?????

im feeling a salts related 6 marker for c2
For c2 do you think we will need to know the potential uses for nanoparticles?
Reply 126
Original post by maxjackson5
Simple covalent structure: Strong covalent bonds between atoms but weak intermolecular forces between molecules can be overcome by low temperatures so is a gas at room temperature. Low melting/boiling point.

Ionic bond: Giant ionic lattice has strong electrostatic forces of attraction in all directions which need huge amounts of energy to be overcome therefore it has a high melting/boiling point. Therefore, solid at room temperature.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!
I'm so worried about this exam, I don't feel ready :/ Do you guys think it'll be an easy paper?
I know this isn't the right thread, so sorry for that :/, but is there one for IGCSE chemistry. I have done every GCSE and IGCSE past paper there is, but I'm still feeling scared.
Original post by PawanAviator
the 6 marker , is cannot be an experiment , because both in June 2013 and June 2012 , experiments were asked to be carried out. Last year , it was different, so its likely it might be asking for an evaluation of nanoparticles or even Gas chromatography.

Personally , I think it might be electrolysis of brine.

How would you answer a 6 mark question on nanoparticles? :confused:
Original post by biosux
im feeling a salts related 6 marker for c2

Same actually
Reply 131
Original post by sunnyrays07
I know this isn't the right thread, so sorry for that :/, but is there one for IGCSE chemistry. I have done every GCSE and IGCSE past paper there is, but I'm still feeling scared.

Yes me too (but only the GCSE ones) questions repeat year after year and the mark schemes are the same. If you are getting higher than 90% on each paper then I think you will be fine for the actual thing. Good Luck!
Original post by InnocentAngel

nanoparticles have a larger surface area to volume ratio than normal particles - 1-100nm
objects that comprise of nanoparticles are harder and stronger
nanoparticles react faster due to the fact that they have a higher surface area meaning that there are more exposed particles and less locked in particles within the article itself that aren't reacting as they are not exposed.
nanotubes - are semiconductors, if thy ask why they are lubriactive then say that their structure is very similar to that of graphite meaning that the layers can slide over eachother due to the fact that that there are weak bonds between the layers.
Original post by sunnyrays07

:c good luck
Original post by InnocentAngel

Evaluation.

Like , they will give you a table of advantages and disadvantages and you have to explain if its goodto use or not. look back to nanoparticles , they have disadvantages and advantages. Something like this :

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 17.04.23.png
Original post by Terrydaktal
nanoparticles have a larger surface area to volume ratio than normal particles - 1-100nm
objects that comprise of nanoparticles are harder and stronger
nanoparticles react faster due to the fact that they have a higher surface area meaning that there are more exposed particles and less locked in particles within the article itself that aren't reacting as they are not exposed.
nanotubes - are semiconductors, if thy ask why they are lubriactive then say that their structure is very similar to that of graphite meaning that the layers can slide over eachother due to the fact that that there are weak bonds between the layers.

A* answer right there! :smile:
Can someone please please explain a model answer for making solublr salts or insoluble salts (6 marks) and I'll return the favor I can do electrolysis/covalent vs ionic example on CL2 and NaCl
Reply 137
What would be the answer to that?
Reply 138
C'est bizarre non?
Any predictions for this exam please (C2) thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending