The Student Room Group

AQA IGCSE Biology - 12th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Did you guys get 25% homozygous diseased for the last question?
Reply 21
Original post by Marvin16
Ok i got it wrong then i put 5, 4 and 0.4

For no 2 i multiplied 5 by 0.8 as that was the width of tube

then for no 3 i divided by 10 to get 1 minute so RIP me :|

I got the same answers as you, I know quite a few of my friends did too
Reply 22
Original post by loros
Did you guys get 25% homozygous diseased for the last question?

yes, because there were 1 out of the 4 'aa' for the recessive sickle cell gene so you could of put 25% or 0.25 or 1/4 as the answer :bl:
Reply 23
Original post by JGray99
yes, because there were 1 out of the 4 'aa' for the recessive sickle cell gene so you could of put 25% or 0.25 or 1/4 as the answer :bl:

Pheww thanks mate :smile:

Also what did you get for the epithelial cell and why it has mitochondria I put because active transport requires energy and mitochondria releases energy but m not sure. Also do you guys know the answer to the question that said why does the epithelial cell also need to carry out active transport and what food molecules does it take in via active transport
sorry for this long question
Reply 24
Original post by loros

Also what did you get for the epithelial cell and why it has mitochondria

Yeah i said that they make energy used for the active transport.

Original post by loros
Also do you guys know the answer to the question that said why does the epithelial cell also need to carry out active transport and what food molecules does it take in via active transport

I dont know if splitting youre quote worked so sorry if it doesnt, but...

The other one was a bit of a puzzle as it had to be something against the concentration gradient, personally i put glucose, however i know others put water but i didnt think that would count.
Hope that helps
Original post by Marvin16
Hi i did it and didnt get that maleria question atall, what other questions did you find hard? what was an answer to the advantage of battery chickens?

Stage 5 was about how they attack liver cells causing them to burst and release merozoites then stage 6 was about how they then infect red blood cells causing them to become shizonts which also burst realasing thousands more merozoites
Original post by loros

Also what did you get for the epithelial cell and why it has mitochondria I put because active transport requires energy and mitochondria releases energy but m not sure. Also do you guys know the answer to the question that said why does the epithelial cell also need to carry out active transport and what food molecules does it take in via active transport
sorry for this long question

I said that the cells are used a lot in digestion and mitochondria is where respiration happens which releases energy. Therefore a lot of mitochondria is needed to supply the cells with the energy required
What about the fan question and what would happen to the leaves at 40C? I think I got the right answers but I just want to compare.
Reply 28
Original post by helpmeplease2014
I said that the cells are used a lot in digestion and mitochondria is where respiration happens which releases energy. Therefore a lot of mitochondria is needed to supply the cells with the energy required

Gold star for trying, but I'm afraid that's the wrong answer
Reply 29
Original post by helpmeplease2014
What about the fan question and what would happen to the leaves at 40C? I think I got the right answers but I just want to compare.

The plants wilted to reduce surface area
Reply 30
Anyone know if there's a chemistry forum for todays paper?
Reply 31
Original post by JGray99

I was just about to ask that question haha how did you find it? On the question about why metals conduct electri by mistake wrote about ions instead of delocalised electrons *cue sobbing*
Original post by jakepds
Gold star for trying, but I'm afraid that's the wrong answer

Is the right answer to with needing energy from respiration in mitochondria for active transport?
Reply 34
Original post by JGray99

There's a few, type in the search GCSE chemistry 14th May
Reply 35
Who else got 5, then 5 X 0.8 (which is 4), then 4/10 (0.4) for the potometer question?
Reply 36
Original post by ssh555
Who else got 5, then 5 X 0.8 (which is 4), then 4/10 (0.4) for the potometer question?

I did 😀
Reply 37
Original post by Gk1616
I did 😀

Ahh thats goood. I think its the right answer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by kingspaniard
Is the right answer to with needing energy from respiration in mitochondria for active transport?

Yeah
Original post by jakepds
The plants wilted to reduce surface area

Incorrect I'm afraid. The fan would increase the rate of evaporation off the leaf's surface so more water would be drawn into the plant. When all the water had been used, the cells in the leaf of the plant will become plasmolysed and the leaf will shrivel as a result.

The question asked about changes to the leaf, not to the plant so I'm afraid your answer would not gain any marks :/

Quick Reply

Latest