The Student Room Group

GCSE 21st Century Chemistry C1 C2 C3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by naryana
Hey guys, I wanted to ask for your opinions on time keeping in the exams..
My science teacher left 2 months ago so I've basically had to learn everything myself :mad: :s-smilie:

Yesterday in the bio exam i did all the 6 markers, but I missed out on around 6/7 one/two mark questions because I spent too much time and wrote too much for the 6 markers ! :frown:

What do you guys do in order to finish the entire paper? ( I feel so stupid asking this lol)

Personally I leave the 6 markers til last
Original post by naryana
Hey guys, I wanted to ask for your opinions on time keeping in the exams..
My science teacher left 2 months ago so I've basically had to learn everything myself :mad: :s-smilie:

Yesterday in the bio exam i did all the 6 markers, but I missed out on around 6/7 one/two mark questions because I spent too much time and wrote too much for the 6 markers ! :frown:

What do you guys do in order to finish the entire paper? ( I feel so stupid asking this lol)

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but don't beat yourself up - and well done for teaching yourself a large % of the course. Firstly read through the paper, I took about 10 minutes to go through the paper, and jot words down pertaining to the question - I then answered the 6 markers (I did use extra paper - but try to finish them all by about 90% by half way through the hour) then move onto the little questions and if you have time at the end, add the other 10% to the 6 markers - if you don't have the time to finish them completely then hey ho you may lose 1 mark on each 6 marker, but thats no where near as bad for your mark as missing out all the little questions. Don't fret though, and as long as you do your best, that's all that matters :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by iamlucy

Hey, just asking, do you think catalytic converters or wet scrubbing could come up as a six marker this year for C1?

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by 'Chris'
Hey, just asking, do you think catalytic converters or wet scrubbing could come up as a six marker this year for C1?

i hope it does, i'm quite confident on it.....
it hasn't come up in a long time so i think there is a possibility of it coming up...
Reply 84
Original post by kxylah
Personally I leave the 6 markers til last

I so should have done that D': I tend to waffle on about anything that comes to my mind - its a curse -_-'
Reply 85
Original post by kxylah
i hope it does, i'm quite confident on it.....
it hasn't come up in a long time so i think there is a possibility of it coming up...

Awesome, also, if a six marker were to come up on crude oil, would it be on how the properties change in hydrocarbons and what happens if it is heated up?
Reply 86
Original post by naryana
I so should have done that D': I tend to waffle on about anything that comes to my mind - its a curse -_-'

haha trust me i do the same... for the bio test i even asked for extra paper....got the funniest stares from everyone!
Leave them for last and ramble on then :P
Original post by 'Chris'
Awesome, also, if a six marker were to come up on crude oil, would it be on how the properties change in hydrocarbons and what happens if it is heated up?

I think it would be more about the intermolecular forces of attraction, and why different hydrocarbons have different boiling points - and then talking about the forces between them.
Original post by 'Chris'

I think it might - in the CGP that entire page is very likely to come up - if not 6 marker it will most probably make up some of the 2-4 markers! :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by iamlucy
I think it might - in the CGP that entire page is very likely to come up - if not 6 marker it will most probably make up some of the 2-4 markers! :smile:

Cool I'll definitely revise that page then, also, if a six marker came up on crude oil, would it be on the first page in the CGP (what happens when it's heated/the bonds), or the second page (fractional distillation).
Reply 90
Original post by kxylah
haha trust me i do the same... for the bio test i even asked for extra paper....got the funniest stares from everyone!
Leave them for last and ramble on then :P

I did the same eventhough i didnt get to answer other questions D: lmao :stupid:
Reply 91
Original post by iamlucy
I think it would be more about the intermolecular forces of attraction, and why different hydrocarbons have different boiling points - and then talking about the forces between them.

So you don't think it will be on fractional distillation?
Reply 92
Original post by iamlucy
I'm so sorry that happened to you, but don't beat yourself up - and well done for teaching yourself a large % of the course. Firstly read through the paper, I took about 10 minutes to go through the paper, and jot words down pertaining to the question - I then answered the 6 markers (I did use extra paper - but try to finish them all by about 90% by half way through the hour) then move onto the little questions and if you have time at the end, add the other 10% to the 6 markers - if you don't have the time to finish them completely then hey ho you may lose 1 mark on each 6 marker, but thats no where near as bad for your mark as missing out all the little questions. Don't fret though, and as long as you do your best, that's all that matters :smile:

Ahh thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it :smile:

Sound like you have a great technique! Do you find that the remaining 20 mins you have left are enough for the questions you have yet to answer ( After spending 10 mins going through questions and 30 trying to complete 90% of 6 markers)?
Reply 93
Hiii,
is anyone on here doing just C2 tomorrow on the aqa paper??
if so what are the main focus' would u suggest to revise?
I've revised a bit but what are the most important areas..
Original post by Lucykx
Hiii,
is anyone on here doing just C2 tomorrow on the aqa paper??
if so what are the main focus' would u suggest to revise?
I've revised a bit but what are the most important areas..

I don't do AQA. My school does OCR 21st Century. but i just want to know if you find the AQA exams for science easy?
Reply 95
Original post by An-Mi-Ah
I don't do AQA. My school does OCR 21st Century. but i just want to know if you find the AQA exams for science easy?

Ohh okay no probs..
And well I think it really depends on what u find 'easy' I've never looked at an OCR science paper so I cannot compare. Most of the time though for AQA you don't actually have to know a lot you just have to know how to answer the question well
Original post by Lucykx
Ohh okay no probs..
And well I think it really depends on what u find 'easy' I've never looked at an OCR science paper so I cannot compare. Most of the time though for AQA you don't actually have to know a lot you just have to know how to answer the question well

oh okay . Do they ask questions about interpreting data, like, finding the mean, true value, best estimate, real difference and stuff like?
Reply 97
Original post by An-Mi-Ah
oh okay . Do they ask questions about interpreting data, like, finding the mean, true value, best estimate, real difference and stuff like?

I've never been asked to calculate the mean specifically but yes they do love the interpreting graph questions! It's often comparing 2 graphs or they ask how it shows something from the graph, a little like what they put in ISA's
Reply 98
Hey everyone,

What are your predictions for C1 C2 and C3 six mark questions?

Also do you think there will be questions on magnetic clues in rocks?

(OCR)
What's the difference between how salt and limestone are formed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending