The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Chemistry

hi is anyone else doing IGCSE Edexcel Chemistry Paper 1C next Thursday?? Wondering if anyone has advice or tips on revising for it, I am doing lots of past papers but still feel a bit underprepared :/

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I'm doing it too! Perhaps revise experimental technique for separation methods such as filtration, recrystallisation, fractional distillation etc. Know a few reasons as to why the result obtained from an experiment is lower than expected (e.g. Impurities, leaks in the apparatus, heat evolved to the environment) because there's bound to be a question about that. Perhaps revise definitions.

Goo luck!
Reply 3
Mhm I haven't prepared for the Chemistry exam one bit; focused on Biology and now it's less than 2 days until the exam.

I'm currently using the syllabus to find specific targeted answers but there's so much content. Anyone got any recommendations on what's guaranteed to be asked and what can be somewhat neglected?

PS: I know I should've started way early, but unfortunately I procrastinate too much :|.
Reply 4
Original post by Synful
Mhm I haven't prepared for the Chemistry exam one bit; focused on Biology and now it's less than 2 days until the exam.

I'm currently using the syllabus to find specific targeted answers but there's so much content. Anyone got any recommendations on what's guaranteed to be asked and what can be somewhat neglected?

PS: I know I should've started way early, but unfortunately I procrastinate too much :|.

Im in the exact same situation! DDid so much for bio and have neglected chem so stressedv:/
Reply 5
Original post by igcsegirl
Im in the exact same situation! DDid so much for bio and have neglected chem so stressedv:/

:frown:, Chemistry is also my weak point, always had a strong dislike towards it. Let's just hope we manage to cram as much as possible, all the luck to you.

By the way I'm using this blogspot which answers specific syllabus' but it seems far too lacking in information. Would anyone recommend it as a base template of (last minute) revision?

http://hannahhelpchemistry.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/13-explain-changes-in-arrangement.html
work on your electrolysis, analysis/test for ions, industrial processes (vital), crude oil and molar calculations.

After doing 11 past papers I can assure you these will pop up

(For the record 6 x paper one 5 x paper two)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Synful
:frown:, Chemistry is also my weak point, always had a strong dislike towards it. Let's just hope we manage to cram as much as possible, all the luck to you.

By the way I'm using this blogspot which answers specific syllabus' but it seems far too lacking in information. Would anyone recommend it as a base template of (last minute) revision?

http://hannahhelpchemistry.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/13-explain-changes-in-arrangement.html

Everything you'll need http://www.skinnerscience.com/chemistry/Chemistry%20Revision%20Notes%202012.pdf
Anyone from new zealand here giving their igcses ?Chem tom?
Reply 9
Original post by PalwashaAyubb

I'm sorry I don't follow :|.

Do their timezones result in them having the exam before you, or me for that matter? Wouldn't the exam boards have put any preventions in place?
hi is anyone else doing IGCSE Edexcel Chemistry Paper 1C next Thursday?? Wondering if anyone has advice or tips on revising for it, I am doing lots of past papers but still feel a bit underprepared :/

Thanks!

I don't think going though past papers will help at this time, because the questions will be different.
so guys, ready for tomorrows paper?
do you think we will be asked about condensation polymerisation? making nylon- 6,6
Reply 13
Original post by Ibrahim Rampuri
do you think we will be asked about condensation polymerisation? making nylon- 6,6

We probably would. Revise all sections in case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by PalwashaAyubb

If the timezones is an issue in New Zealand, you'd probably get the IGCSE regional papers for chemistry (1CR and 2CR)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ijazx1
We probably would. Revise all sections in case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guys condensation polymerisation is paper 2 content only so it CANNOT come up tomorrow
Reply 16
Original post by optimus9000
Guys condensation polymerisation is paper 2 content only so it CANNOT come up tomorrow

Have you read the specification? It doesn't say anything about condensation polymerisation as paper 2 content. It says all 5 sections for both papers. Don't just assume things cuz the papers this time were pretty different to past papers.
Hey thinking of making a PM Study Group :smile: is anybody interested?
Reply 18
Original post by Ijazx1
Have you read the specification? It doesn't say anything about condensation polymerisation as paper 2 content. It says all 5 sections for both papers. Don't just assume things cuz the papers this time were pretty different to past papers.

Actually I believe that Optimus was right and that you are incorrect. The specification does actually show that the content in bold is paper two only so it is not neede for paper 1, so I would suggest reading it again. Condensation polymerisation is one of the topics that is paper 2 only in section 5.

Things I would revise for everyone else:
Haber process
General understanding of electrolysis
Mole calculations (pretty much always comes up)
Test for ions and gases!
Basic knowledge of alkanes and alkenes
Rates of reaction (factors affecting)
Equilibrium and energetics
Reply 19
Actually I believe that Optimus was right and that you are incorrect. The specification does actually show that the content in bold is paper two only so it is not neede for paper 1, so I would suggest reading it again. Condensation polymerisation is one of the topics that is paper 2 only in section 5.

Things I would revise for everyone else:
Haber process
General understanding of electrolysis
Mole calculations (pretty much always comes up)
Test for ions and gases!
Basic knowledge of alkanes and alkenes
Rates of reaction (factors affecting)
Equilibrium and energetics

Oh right I see... Well revise the above I guess^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending