The Student Room Group

C1 maths went terrible, can I still get an A

I panicked a lot in this exam, despite doing all of the past papers, it went terrible. I think I might have got 46/75. Which is probably a C. Im normally better in c2 and m1 than c1, which is really weird I know, but If I get 72 and 73 on those two papers, I would have got 191 out of the total 225 marks, which is 84 percent, would That get me an A grade overall In AS maths? Please let me know, I'm feeling so disheartened right now. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I feel the same, majorly messed up the exam today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Dghimire
I panicked a lot in this exam, despite doing all of the past papers, it went terrible. I think I might have got 46/75. Which is probably a C. Im normally better in c2 and m1 than c1, which is really weird I know, but If I get 72 and 73 on those two papers, I would have got 191 out of the total 225 marks, which is 84 percent, would That get me an A grade overall In AS maths? Please let me know, I'm feeling so disheartened right now. Thanks

Yeah probably you would get an A but try to get full marks for C2 to grantee getting an A. Revise from now
Reply 3
Original post by BaranSR
Yeah probably you would get an A but try to get full marks for C2 to grantee getting an A. Revise from now

Thank you! Does that mean that it's an overall 80% to get an A and not an average of 80%?
Thank you! Does that mean that it's an overall 80% to get an A and not an average of 80%?

240/300 UMS for an A
That's 80% of your overall UMS
But it's also an average of 80% across your 3 units
Reply 5

Normally i think its around 85% But sometimes it could go down and up, depends. Don't worry about this just try get full marks, goodluck.
Original post by CheetahCurtis
240/300 UMS for an A
That's 80% of your overall UMS
But it's also an average of 80% across your 3 units

does that mean I have no chance of getting an A overall?
is this your first year ifso then don't worry I'm in upper sixth and just re sat c1 and flew by, don't panic just re sit you'll do much better next year
Reply 8
Original post by Charlieukharris
is this your first year ifso then don't worry I'm in upper sixth and just re sat c1 and flew by, don't panic just re sit you'll do much better next year

Do universities discriminate against you, if you re-sit a module or two? I want to go Edinburgh, and I think I may need to retake this module.
Reply 9
Original post by drowzee
Do universities discriminate against you, if you re-sit a module or two? I want to go Edinburgh, and I think I may need to retake this module.

No, i spoke to my teacher about this and he said just retake it's not a problem, he said if you don't get 90%+ retake because C1 is easy
Original post by BaranSR
No, i spoke to my teacher about this and he said just retake it's not a problem, he said if you don't get 90%+ retake because C1 is easy

Oh okay, thank you. :smile: Well let's just try smash C2 and S1 :biggrin:
Reply 11
I went totally blank on that paper, I have also been practising papers like mad for the last few months but today was just, horrible, how did everyone else find it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
That was one of the worst C1 papers I have ever done Im now seriously buckling down and revising like crazy to try and salvage my AS but doing well in my C2 and S1. I talked to my teacher about it and he reckons that if I got a C I need to get near pefect in my other two to get the overall grade back on track but it's difficult to say because we dont know how well the paper went.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dghimire25
does that mean I have no chance of getting an A overall?

No you can get an A as long as ur UMS somehow with whatever combination of scores across the 3 modules comes to 240. Eg 80,80,80.

In your case it will be hard to get an A not impossible work hard good luck
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elinh
That was one of the worst C1 papers I have ever done Im now seriously buckling down and revising like crazy to try and salvage my AS but doing well in my C2 and S1. I talked to my teacher about it and he reckons that if I got a C I need to get near pefect in my other two to get the overall grade back on track but it's difficult to say because we dont know how well the paper went.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair it really wasn't that bad alot of the questions were a rehash of previous years. Yes Q10b was tricky but it wasn't bad they have asked similar questions akin to that before. Heck the Sequences question was literally like the june 2013 mobile phones one.

That being said seeing as alot of people came unstuck today in terms of staying calm or errors adding up the grade boundaries wil probs be slightly lower than usual but its defo going to be 62-65 for an A.
Don't stress, you can't change it now, on to the next exam. I've had good feelings about exams and have done terrible and vice versa. Today's paper was tricky in parts like binomial part b and 10 b. I didn't manage to finish 10 but I know id get marks for method. So heads up, on to the next one... Good luck :smile:

was this on Edexcel or AQA?
Original post by drowzee

No I don't think so shows determination if anything
Reply 18
In exactly the same position as you, having probably got a little below 80% in c1 . All I can say is (and I keep telling my self this when ever I get knocked back, like after today's exam). A persons intellect isn't measured by how well u do in an exam, it's measured how you go about responding to set backs correcting your mistakes. How strong are you as an individual? Are you just going to sulk about it and give up or are you going to put it right? I, myself am tired of hearing people (especially the Asians students ) act as though, doing well in exams is the be all and end all, when it clearly isn't. Just remember, There's much more important things in life rather than a paper with a set of results such as family and friends, happiness and having a life. I wish you all the best in the rest of your exams and just remember, try your best and do not give up. I've faced many setbacks in my life and it's this mentality that has put me in a position to be doing a levels, when I could've easily thrown in the towel and given up
Reply 19

Original post by Ben4
I feel the same, majorly messed up the exam today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would recommend doing all the past papers for your next modules, and watching tutorials YouTube on your weakest point.

Maths is all about practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending