The Student Room Group

AQA maths core 1, 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 88mph
I did the same :smile: Though, I thought it was wrong as there is the base AND the top and so I thought that you should do 2πr^2 + h(2πr) =49π, but that got the wrong answer???

I think the cylinder was open topped, so the surface area was πr^2 + 2(2πr) = 49π.
Think I've dropped about 12 marks.
Damn, was really hoping for an A.
Reply 402
Original post by SaadMuhammad
Did anyone get k = 8 or -8 for the last question on solving inequalities?

The answers were k = -4/9 and +4 and it was when it was was than 0 so the final inequality was -4/9 < k < 4
someone needs to put marks for each question so I can count how well I did
Original post by aoxa
It shouldn't matter - as you worked out the first gradient wrong, but the second right (going by your gradient) you should have only lost the marks for the first part, and then you should be able to pick up on follow through marks.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better haha.
Reply 405
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
Think I've dropped about 12 marks.
Damn, was really hoping for an A.

It was generally a hard paper due to changes in question format so even with 63/75 you could still get an A
Reply 406
Yeah I get 162/5 for the area behind the curve and the line.
I got the curve as 108/5 and the trapezium at 54 but I split the trapezium into a triangle and a rectangle but I couldn't remember the formula lol.
Original post by chantsmariexx
So on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest; how hard did people find the test?

I don't think it was as hard as last years, but I'd still give it a 7-8
Original post by knjk
The answers were k = -4/9 and +4 and it was when it was was than 0 so the final inequality was -4/9 < k < 4

I made a silly error on that question. I think I was rushing the paper even though I finished ten minutes early!

Do you think you can still achieve an A or above 90%, if you got full marks on C2 and Decision, say if you lost 10-15 marks in this paper?
Reply 409
With the vector question ... x^2 + 3x + 2 translated through [2,4].... Surely the answer was x^2 + x + 6?
Original post by SaadMuhammad
I may have lost a few marks on question 6 where you had to work out the volume of the cylinder.

Thankyou Muhammad, very helpful:smile:
can someone write the marks down near each question, that would be helpful
What grade would 52 be
I don't know why everyone's saying this was the 'hardest' paper, I was retaking this and last year was almost the same except I have to agree that cylinder question caught everyone off guard, even I didn't get it right... and I'm retaking this unit. It was a standard C1 paper how ever because of all the cock ups from the cylinder question I think the boundaries will come down very slightly.
Reply 414
Original post by mickel_w
Fairly confident of every question apart from the first 5 marks on the cylinder (i know what i did wrong now).
Will hopefully only lose a couple of marks on all the other questions, so i should get an A.
Waiting for an unofficial mark scheme :smile:

What did you get when you differentiated the v of the cylinder question?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3322885 can you guys vote on this poll on the difficulty of the paper? Will be interesting to see how everyone thought it was
Thought the cylinder question was a strange one given it's not on the syllabus to know how to calculate the surface area of a cylinder. I don't expect many people to have been able to obtain it and that could work in everyone's favour for the boundaries.

For me it went great. I answered every question with confidence over my method and managed to spot several silly errors at the end which could have cost me. The only thing I have doubts over right now is the cylinder question. I did the right method but I didn't simplify it once I had obtained h. It said find h in terms of r, but not in it's simplest form so I assume it's acceptable? I did not cancel the coefficients of pi, do you think I'll drop a mark there?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lobster37
Thankyou Muhammad, very helpful:smile:

How did you find the paper in general?
Apologies, the bi and ii I did in terms of mixed fractions so they actually equal the same; however, the simultaneous equation still remains differed (i forgot what I got but I got two negative numbers I may be wrong however )

Original post by student0042
I'm not certain that i'm right, just the answers I got.
Reply 419
Original post by SunDun111
What grade would 52 be
C (about 68UMS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending