The Student Room Group

Investment Banking summer intern pay?

How much are the various banks paying to their summer interns?

Pro rata + allowance?

I know JPM are paying £45k pro rata

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Vast majority pays 42-45k pro rata, with some giving reallocation allowance on top of that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by spoli21
Vast majority pays 42-45k pro rata, with some giving reallocation allowance on top of that.

Any specifics? What's a satisfactory relocation allowance?

So that's approx £800-870/week
Reply 3
45k for front office seems to be the norm, 36k for other positions. Some banks will give you 1k relocation if I recall. Morgan Stanley did 45k + 1k. You will also accumulate approximately 100 quid a week in holiday pay assuming you don't take it.
Brand name > Pay, surely.

Now is the time to worry about converting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
£45k + £1k reallocation.

Original post by fuuji
45k for front office seems to be the norm, 36k for other positions. Some banks will give you 1k relocation if I recall. Morgan Stanley did 45k + 1k. You will also accumulate approximately 100 quid a week in holiday pay assuming you don't take it.

Yeah 5 days holiday on a 10-week internship (unsure how much holiday entitlement changes across the banks, I assume it's fairly standard).
Reply 6
Original post by fuuji

What is holiday pay? Have worked at multiple banks now and 'holiday pay' was never a thing. You get paid a fixed salary whether you take all your holiday days or not.
Reply 7
Original post by MAINE.
What is holiday pay? Have worked at multiple banks now and 'holiday pay' was never a thing. You get paid a fixed salary whether you take all your holiday days or not.

I think it's different if you're on a permanent contract vs. a temporary one. By law (I think), if you're on a temporary contract and you don't use the holiday you're entitled to when the contract ends, the company has to pay you the equivalent time you didn't have off (which normally works out to be ~12.6% on top of your pay).
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.
I think it's different if you're on a permanent contract vs. a temporary one. By law (I think), if you're on a temporary contract and you don't use the holiday you're entitled to when the contract ends, the company has to pay you the equivalent time you didn't have off (which normally works out to be ~12.6% on top of your pay).

sweet. Is this a new thing?

Now I feel bad for not knowing about this when I interned
Reply 9
Original post by MAINE.
sweet. Is this a new thing?

Now I feel bad for not knowing about this when I interned

Depends how old you are :tongue:

It has certainly been a thing since 2011.
Reply 10
Original post by MAINE.

to quote my contract "for the purpose of calculating holiday pay, a day's pay shall be calculated at the rate of 1/262 x your annual salary"

just paid leave basically thought every bank would give it to you. I guess some just don't pay if you don't take it, if i recall citi does that.
Reply 11
Original post by fuuji
to quote my contract "for the purpose of calculating holiday pay, a day's pay shall be calculated at the rate of 1/262 x your annual salary"

just paid leave basically thought every bank would give it to you. I guess some just don't pay if you don't take it, if i recall citi does that.

If a friend of mine who's about to start in IBD is right, some banks also force you to take holiday :lol:
Three contracts I've seen so far for 2016 IBD Summer Analyst:

50k + 2k relocation
50k + 1k relocation
Most firms will give you a small payment at the end of your internship for the 3/4 days you were entitled to holiday pay. HR will communicate that to you but most people don't have a clue. Then again, I'm yet to hear of anyone actually take these days off.

Also check if your firm upped analyst pay last year as that should be pro-rated. My bank was one of these and the new interns are getting 50k pro-rated..bastards.
Reply 14
Original post by Beige101
Three contracts I've seen so far for 2016 IBD Summer Analyst:

50k + 2k relocation
50k + 1k relocation

2016?
Reply 15
Original post by Paul Allen
Most firms will give you a small payment at the end of your internship for the 3/4 days you were entitled to holiday pay. HR will communicate that to you but most people don't have a clue. Then again, I'm yet to hear of anyone actually take these days off.

Also check if your firm upped analyst pay last year as that should be pro-rated. My bank was one of these and the new interns are getting 50k pro-rated..bastards.

CS upped only IBD people to 50k, Securities are still on 45k - is that also the case at your bank, or was all front office upped to 50?
Original post by spoli21
2016?

I suppose it's based of the sw conversion contracts
Original post by Noble.
CS upped only IBD people to 50k, Securities are still on 45k - is that also the case at your bank, or was all front office upped to 50?

From people I've spoken to in S&T, they've also been increased. Standard across both lines of business + 2k relocation allowance.
Original post by gr8wizard10
From people I've spoken to in S&T, they've also been increased. Standard across both lines of business + 2k relocation allowance.

Wow, that works out as ~£1162/week
Original post by James E Walker
Wow, that works out as ~£1162/week

Or around £11.62/hour for IBD :wink:

Quick Reply