The Student Room Group

AQA maths core 1, 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Lobster37
also im wondering if anyone one knows each and every question that requires a statement of some sort because that is where i usually drop marks? thanks!

The polynomial one you know when it says prove x+2 or something is a factor just prove that it is zero and say it's a factor
To find the surface area (minus the top of course) wasn't it just the area of the circle (nr^2) plus the circumference (2nr) times Height?

and we were meant to find the height in part a)i) which was h=V/nr^2

i feel like the question was Really simple but we sort of expected it to be complex so everyone freaked out
Reply 422
Original post by JNicko
I got 7, so did 5 people I spoke to after the exam, so I'd say 7 is a safe bet

I did 50-4 instead of 50-1 so I got square root 46 instead of square 49 to get 7
Silly donkey :frown:
Original post by -jordan-
Thought the cylinder question was a strange one given it's not on the syllabus to know how to calculate the surface area of a cylinder. I don't expect many people to have been able to obtain it and that could work in everyone's favour for the boundaries.

For me it went great. I got every question answered and managed to spot several silly errors which could have cost me. The only thing I have doubts over right now is the cylinder question. I did the right method but I didn't simplify it once I had obtained h. It said find h in terms of r, but not in it's simplest form so I assume it's acceptable? I did not cancel the coefficients of pi, do you think I'll drop a mark there?

I did the EXACT same thing as you. Went really well, spotted all mistakes, only issue I had was not simplifying the h in terms of r bit. And I didn't specifically state n=7 when finding the minimum length of the chord question. Other than that, went great. I asked about the simplifying question and some people said it didn't specifically state to simplify it, so I don't think the mark would have been lost, but if so, we would have only lost one mark..
Original post by FS492
C (about 68UMS)

Cheers.
Original post by SaadMuhammad
How did you find the paper in general?

pretty happy tbh, the only mark i may have dropped is where i may have had to put my r =4 AND =-4
Original post by FS492
With the vector question ... x^2 + 3x + 2 translated through [2,4].... Surely the answer was x^2 + x + 6?

The y-intercept also depends on the position of the x coordinate of the vertex so that isn't correct. You have to consider the whole thing with completing the square.
Guys what was the integration question,can everyone remember the equation we had to integrate
I'n Sorry Shark but Student0042 is right on all of those.
Original post by Sekaib
The polynomial one you know when it says prove x+2 or something is a factor just prove that it is zero and say it's a factor

my exact words were 'x=2 is only real root' would i get the mark for this. Also are there any oher statements you can think of that we should have written?
For the integration question I and a few other people got 162/5, which is 32 and 2 fifths.
For the earlier part of the Q i got 108/5.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by asunny1998
I think I got something similar to you

i got 108/5 i think
pretty happy tbh, the only mark i may have dropped is where i may have had to put my r =4 AND =-4

I think my paper did not go as well as I was expecting. I have definitely lost 2 marks on the question where you had to work out the shortest distance between the centre and QR. By the looks of other answers on TSR, I think I have lost the last question, which is out of 4 I think. I believe I may have made a mistake on the integration question - though I am unsure about this; hopefully full marks on this question. So in total, I definitely lost 6 and maybe another 4-5 just to be on the safe side.

In the end, a 60/75 is still 80% - an A I hope! I will work harder for C2 and Decision and should get higher marks to compensate for this paper.

Good luck for your other exams!.
Original post by emzchalker98
I don't think it was as hard as last years, but I'd still give it a 7-8

this was actually a really nice paper! probably easier for me because i was resitting but it was so much better than last years paper
Original post by apache324
For the integration question I and a few other people got 162/5, which is 32 and 2 fifths.

We all agreed that to be the answer too. I ran out of space for that question and squashed it in so hopefully the examiner is lenient for that and can read it!
my exact words were 'x=2 is only real root' would i get the mark for this. Also are there any oher statements you can think of that we should have written?

-2***
Original post by RhyaCeri
i got 108/5 i think

I got that answer. For the area I think I may got something like 162/5... or maybe 330/4 or 5 - not sure.
Reply 437
ra) draw x^2(x-3) where line touches at 0 and crosses at 3
bi) Remainder = 36
bii) R = 0 therefore is a factor
biii) (x-2)(x^2-5x+10)
biv) b^2 - 4ac < 0 therefore no real roots for (x^2-5x+10)
(x-2) only root when x = -2

^^^^^unofficial ms

for drawing the cubic i did a positive cubic graph, points were 0,3 but i drawedd the line going through 0 and touching x axis?
how many marks out of 3 wouldi get for this>?

for biii i got b as -x i didnt expand brackets and got c as 10 how many marks would i lose for this, i think it was 2 marka???

and for biv i used b^2-4ac sed it was less then 0 and sed only real root is x=-2 how many marks would i get forthis? i think this was 3 marks? but i got the value of discrimiant wrong? thanks!
Reply 438
Original post by -jordan-
The y-intercept also depends on the position of the x coordinate of the vertex so that isn't correct. You have to consider the whole thing with completing the square.
Its not completing the square though? [+] value is taken away from x and +[y] is added to integer?
Reply 439
Can someone do an unofficial mark scheme for this? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending