The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS level History: D3 and D4 thread

13th of May im so nervous!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yupp same and there is nothing like a History exam at 3 pm after having had a maths C1 at 9 am lol
Reply 2
Original post by Jemy
Yupp same and there is nothing like a History exam at 3 pm after having had a maths C1 at 9 am lol

Ahh so many people are in that position! Are you confident for the exam? Do you have any predictions on what may come up?
Reply 3
Original post by Tj789
Ahh so many people are in that position! Are you confident for the exam? Do you have any predictions on what may come up?

I am kinda confident as I am sticking to my exam technique of point, evidence, evaluate and finally link to question; only time worries me but 40 minutes for 4-5 pages each should be sufficient (I hope).

No idea really about what could come up but there are clear patterns, just kinds know your knowledge with some precise examples and you should be fine. I need to work one that, I know the whole plot but lack some figures and ley facts.
Reply 4
Original post by Jemy
I am kinda confident as I am sticking to my exam technique of point, evidence, evaluate and finally link to question; only time worries me but 40 minutes for 4-5 pages each should be sufficient (I hope).

No idea really about what could come up but there are clear patterns, just kinds know your knowledge with some precise examples and you should be fine. I need to work one that, I know the whole plot but lack some figures and ley facts.

Im interested in your structure, so literally make a point- back it up by evidence and what do you mean by evaluate?
Reply 5
Original post by Tj789
Im interested in your structure, so literally make a point- back it up by evidence and what do you mean by evaluate?

Well by evaluate you can depending on the context you can either dig deeper into the meaning of that point and piece of evidence in relation to the question (such significance, nature and so on) and/or you can counter against your point by saying something like it did play a factor at first and then but it was not really the only one factor because of the given flows of that point. Sometimes all of this can end up into two paragraphs and I usually discuss three points so the answer can be up to 6 paragraphs.

I adopted this technique stubbornly because I always have had a tendency of being too descriptive in the sense of throwing the kitchen sink at the question by explaining everything in detail without being analyitical thereby dropping me to a level 3. However, ever since I am doing this, I am always above 20 marks, just got 26 a few days ago.
Reply 6
Original post by Jemy
Well by evaluate you can depending on the context you can either dig deeper into the meaning of that point and piece of evidence in relation to the question (such significance, nature and so on) and/or you can counter against your point by saying something like it did play a factor at first and then but it was not really the only one factor because of the given flows of that point. Sometimes all of this can end up into two paragraphs and I usually discuss three points so the answer can be up to 6 paragraphs.

I adopted this technique stubbornly because I always have had a tendency of being too descriptive in the sense of throwing the kitchen sink at the question by explaining everything in detail without being analyitical thereby dropping me to a level 3. However, ever since I am doing this, I am always above 20 marks, just got 26 a few days ago.

Please could you send me an example because I have NEVER got above a Level 3 and my teacher also says im too descriptive and my structure is poor, id really appreciate it x
Reply 7
Original post by Tj789
Please could you send me an example because I have NEVER got above a Level 3 and my teacher also says im too descriptive and my structure is poor, id really appreciate it x

Yeah sure give me two or three hours and I will scan and upload them for you, hope you cool with my hand writing xD I will reply on here with the scans attached or linked once I did it, it might help someone else out as well :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Jemy
Yeah sure give me two or three hours and I will scan and upload them for you, hope you cool with my hand writing xD I will reply on here with the scans attached or linked once I did it, it might help someone else out as well :smile:

Thats absolutely great! Tanx x
Reply 9
Original post by Tj789
Thats absolutely great! Tanx x

Here ya go :smile: Thought I'd get out the way now!

This is the first one.

Spoiler

The second one.

Spoiler

Titles and marking are on the copies.

I hope they help you and please let me know what you generally think! :smile:

EDIT:
The attached pics do not seem to show within the spoilers but you can see and download them via the thumbnails below...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jemy

This is the first one.

Spoiler

The second one.

Spoiler

EDIT:
The attached pics do not seem to show within the spoilers but you can see and download them via the thumbnails below...

Hi, I'm also doing the History exam on the 13th! I've been trying to develop my exam writing technique because I was always on the Level 3/4 borderline too :frown:

Although I'm doing different topics I had a flick through your answers and I definitely see the evaluation that has been done. I think it was helped by the fact that you constantly referred to the keywords from the question.

Thank you for your tips and good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by Jemy

This is the first one.

Spoiler

The second one.

Spoiler

EDIT:

Tanx loads!!!
Reply 12
Original post by ahussain12
Hi, I'm also doing the History exam on the 13th! I've been trying to develop my exam writing technique because I was always on the Level 3/4 borderline too :frown:

Although I'm doing different topics I had a flick through your answers and I definitely see the evaluation that has been done. I think it was helped by the fact that you constantly referred to the keywords from the question.

Thank you for your tips and good luck!

Original post by Tj789
Tanx loads!!!

I am glad that I was of help to you guys :smile: I wish you both also the best of luck after tomorrow! Perhaps after the exam lets share our after thoughts on this thread again!
Reply 13
Original post by Jemy
I am glad that I was of help to you guys :smile: I wish you both also the best of luck after tomorrow! Perhaps after the exam lets share our after thoughts on this thread again!

Thats sweet tanx I wish you the very best too. And yh sure will be back if I can stop the tears afterwards haha
Reply 14
Hey guys just to make you aware on the edexcel website if you go onto examiners reports there are example answers of proper student answers
Reply 15
Original post by Tj789
Hey guys just to make you aware on the edexcel website if you go onto examiners reports there are example answers of proper student answers

I know that is quite handy, thanks! Right now going over some of my best essays to let the technique sink in after having crammed for the half the day. Gotta soon do some more C1 for tomorrow as well. I really don't understand why they put maths and history on the same day...
Reply 16
Original post by Jemy
I know that is quite handy, thanks! Right now going over some of my best essays to let the technique sink in after having crammed for the half the day. Gotta soon do some more C1 for tomorrow as well. I really don't understand why they put maths and history on the same day...

Im trying to revise but procrastinating so much! I know :frown: but just think tomorrow you will have two exams done!
Reply 17
Original post by Tj789
Im trying to revise but procrastinating so much! I know :frown: but just think tomorrow you will have two exams done!

Hahaha I know how it is and I still got 10 exams to go after those two xD Re-sitting all my AS's while doing my A2 this year, had a really bad summer last year..
Reply 18
Did you guys do D4 Q7? Contender or establishing power?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
How did everyone do? I thought it was okay until the end, I didn't have tine to balance it so I just did 2 paragraphs for and 1 against, have I capped my mark by not balancing it properly?

Quick Reply

Latest