The Student Room Group

Can anyone tell me if my calculator is acceptable for FSMQ/A Levels

It is the TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition

https://secure.edexcel.com/subjects/Mathematics/Pages/ViewEditorial.aspx?editorial=1078

I am not sure if it is?

Thank you.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
It is the TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition

https://secure.edexcel.com/subjects/Mathematics/Pages/ViewEditorial.aspx?editorial=1078

I am not sure if it is?

Thank you.

Can't guarantee, but exam invigilators are very unlikely to check/care.

The only things that are explicitly banned are those that have "Computer Algebra Systems". These are the ones that can integrate, e.g. x and give you x^2. If it can only give you "number" answers you should be fine..

It says on the front of most exams "You may use a graphical calculator", so if ever questioned just point to that. There is a JCQ document that says calculators should be wiped/reset before every exam, and that we're meant to be told do so, but it's never come up in mine.

I have a Casio 9860GII that you has a bloody SD-card slot, and I've never had a second look...
Original post by edd1234
Can't guarantee, but exam invigilators are very unlikely to check/care.

The only things that are explicitly banned are those that have "Computer Algebra Systems". These are the ones that can integrate, e.g. x and give you x^2. If it can only give you "number" answers you should be fine..

It says on the front of most exams "You may use a graphical calculator", so if ever questioned just point to that. There is a JCQ document that says calculators should be wiped/reset before every exam, and that we're meant to be told do so, but it's never come up in mine.

I have a Casio 9860GII that you has a bloody SD-card slot, and I've never had a second look...

Thank you very much.

My calculator does not do that it can only integrate with limits which yields valus.

Haha you legend.

When I did Core 1 there was a kid who had a calculator!

But thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Thank you very much.

My calculator does not do that it can only integrate with limits which yields valus.

Haha you legend.

When I did Core 1 there was a kid who had a calculator!

But thanks for the reassurance :smile:

No problem - I find it weird there's not more of this stuff online.

If you want extra confirmation there's a high chance on your edexcel maths spec, or somewhere on their website, it'll say something like "graphics calculators are allowed, but ones with computer algebra systems are not".

If you can find that and print it off, as well as this (maybe just cut out the bit that shows it doesnt have the CAS; he/she may be a bit iffy about the images bit below) and take 'em to the exams officer person at your school, you should be set.

edit: rethought it and that's probably overkill. there's a small chance he/she 'll just say no cos they hate kids / are stubborn or whatever, whereas it's very unlikely to get questioned anyway. only mentioned it cos I know our one pretty well, so had no trouble.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edd1234
No problem - I find it weird there's not more of this stuff online.

If you want extra confirmation there's a high chance on your edexcel maths spec, or somewhere on their website, it'll say something like "graphics calculators are allowed, but ones with computer algebra systems are not".

If you can find that and print it off, as well as this (maybe just cut out the bit that shows it doesnt have the CAS; he/she may be a bit iffy about the images bit below) and take 'em to the exams officer person at your school, you should be set.

Me too, thanks. It is frusturating idd :d

In the first link it says it is not banned so I suppose that is fine.

Sorry to be a pain, but what does the CAS do.

Thank you for all your help!

Are you doing maths fm edexcel/ ocr a physics chem :smile:
Me too, thanks. It is frusturating idd :d

In the first link it says it is not banned so I suppose that is fine.

Sorry to be a pain, but what does the CAS do.

Thank you for all your help!

Are you doing maths fm edexcel/ ocr a physics chem :smile:

CAS is a calculator that can integrate/differentiate/solve equations and leave in terms of Xs or Ys, rather than just numerically.

Doing AQA M + FM and OCR Chem + Phys.

I think the OCR papers say "electronic calculator" (meaning a graphical ones allowed afaik), but again I doubt it'd matter if they just said "scientific" - my invigilators are all old and wouldnt know the difference.
Original post by edd1234
CAS is a calculator that can integrate/differentiate/solve equations and leave in terms of Xs or Ys, rather than just numerically.

Doing AQA M + FM and OCR Chem + Phys.

I think the OCR papers say "electronic calculator" (meaning a graphical ones allowed afaik), but again I doubt it'd matter if they just said "scientific" - my invigilators are all old and wouldnt know the difference.

Oh right I see.

Thank you.

Oh okay, thanks for your help.

And good luck with your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest