The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fluffyowl
According to the rules for suspected malpractice, using a calculator when prohibited will lead to a loss of marks (either for a section or the whole unit). Details are on page 40 of the document found here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/malpractice/suspected-malpractice-in-examinations-and-assessments-2014-15.

If you hadn't used the calculator, you would have just got a warning.

Okay thanks for actually looking that up :smile: luckily maths isnt required for my course even at a high level so as long as my other two exams are fine im happy
Does it not say on the front of the paper that it's non calculator? (Think mine did but I've been out of secondary school a while now....:colondollar:) It always got drummed into us to always read the cover page of the exam before actually turning it over.......
but hind sight is a b**ch!
Not trying to be rude, genuine question, how did you manage to miss the symbol of the calculator they put on the front of the papers with a big cross through it? I notice it every time.
Original post by -jordan-
Not trying to be rude, genuine question, how did you manage to miss the symbol of the calculator they put on the front of the papers with a big cross through it? I notice it every time.

it's not always there - it depends on the exam board
Reply 44

The one i did had a small symbol which i didnt notice as i was late and needed to catch up to time, and thats not rude its a valid point :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by laalNick
Does it not say on the front of the paper that it's non calculator? (Think mine did but I've been out of secondary school a while now....:colondollar:) It always got drummed into us to always read the cover page of the exam before actually turning it over.......
but hind sight is a b**ch!

It does but i didnt read it as i was late
Original post by happysmile
it's not always there - it depends on the exam board

In which case I think that's a potential fault with the system. People can get used to seeing the symbol on the front of the papers and if it's not there it might send people into a sense of security without them thinking.
Someone in my school had their phone on them during their C3 exam and only had that paper cancelled and all his other exams were fine. Another person had a graphical calculator (one that isn't allowed) and was disqualified for quite a few exams (I think).

If the invigilators know that you weren't using it to cheat then I don't think they will ban you from all your exams, although they will most likely give you 0 for your C1 paper.
In which case I think that's a potential fault with the system. People can get used to seeing the symbol on the front of the papers and if it's not there it might send people into a sense of security without them thinking.

l agree, the crossed out calculator was on the front of my GCSE maths papers but for my A-levels there was just a line in bold somewhere in the instructions that says we're not allowed to use calculators
It's pretty standard that you can't use one, kid :s-smilie:
But some people are stricter than others; if you feel that stressed contact the Head, that's what I always do when lower staff piss me off :h:
Also I remember one girl, her ..."alarm" went off :teehee: on her iPhone and when it rang, everyone's head popped up and the invigilator rushed over like she was trembling like :puppyeyes: "it's my alarm, please, omgomgomg I'm so sorry."

They said you know you were supposed to have it shut off. She said "I wasn't here for that announcement."

I got bored and looked away and kept working.

Oh Idk what happened to her :daydreaming:
Reply 50
Did the invigilators let you continue with your paper? If they did, then they may have let you off.
Original post by Feline_Nymphet

But some people are stricter than others; if you feel that stressed contact the Head, that's what I always do when lower staff piss me off :h:

This sort of thing isn't really anything to do with the head. It has to be reported to the exam board, and then they decide what happens.

If it isn't reported to the exam board and they find out (say, by looking on a forum), then the school can get into huge trouble. From the school's point of view, it will be more costly in the long run to leave it unreported.
Even if one person cheats, it doesn't really affect the grade boundaries. Besides, the calculator isn't all that useful. It's mostly differentiation and integration.

Posting that you cheated in a public exam on student forum isn't a great idea, unless you're just seeking attention.
Original post by moment of truth
Someone in my school had their phone on them during their C3 exam and only had that paper cancelled and all his other exams were fine. Another person had a graphical calculator (one that isn't allowed) and was disqualified for quite a few exams (I think).

If the invigilators know that you weren't using it to cheat then I don't think they will ban you from all your exams, although they will most likely give you 0 for your C1 paper.

What kind of graphical calculators are you not allowed? :smile:
Original post by happysmile
l agree, the crossed out calculator was on the front of my GCSE maths papers but for my A-levels there was just a line in bold somewhere in the instructions that says we're not allowed to use calculators

Out of interest, what exam board did you take C1 with?
Aw jeez dude, harsh situation that you're in. The good news is, that you sound fairly genuine and I reckon any invigilator with half a brain cell would realise that your intention wasn't to cheat. Good on you for opting to have your grade cancelled, at least you've got the original one that'll still stand. As for you being disqualified, it's a step out there. You weren't actively caught cheating and fair enough, you had a clear advantage, but your "offense" isn't the crime of the century.

Keep your head up OP, and protip- don't miss announcements. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MsFahima
What kind of graphical calculators are you not allowed? :smile:

I didn't get a notification for this, for some reason. :dontknow:

I am not sure, but the calculator he had could answer most things in the exam and I think it showed the working out too (I can't really remember, sorry :colondollar:). This was for edexcel, so if you are doing a different board, I am not sure if the same rules apply.
(edited 8 years ago)
Technically you've broken the rules, and there's a chance that you could be disqualified.

BEST BEST CASE SCENARIO: the invigilator and exam officer don't mention a thing, allow you to resit the paper without a calculator and send it off leaving the situation nice and rosy :innocent:
Best case scenario though: you resit again, with a different paper
Worst case scenario: that resit is void and you're stuck with the grade that you tried to improve
Another best/worst case scenario: the resit is void, you're allowed to resit but you're already in uni so it won't matter...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Hopefully all your further exams are cancelled and all your previous AS and GCSE certificates are nullified.
Original post by ubisoft
Hopefully all your further exams are cancelled and all your previous AS and GCSE certificates are nullified.

Lol.

I do agree this exam should be cancelled. No if or buts, you cheated and that's it.
Whether you intended to or not, you still did.

I remember a guy got a call in GCSE though, nothing happened, no invig went to him or anything, he quickly shut it off and resumed. Maybe the case is the same here? Who knows.

I recommend you just accept you ****ed up big time(sorry but I rather say it to straight) and continue with your exams, as hard as that is to do. Maybe nothing will happen or maybe all your A-levels will be cancelled, no one on TSR can tell you though what will actually happen- well they can, but they are just guessing.

But pretending that you are some busy body, and all that nonsense is useless as everyone is in exam mode and you aren't special in this regard.

Latest