The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Yeah it shouldn't. Probes could attach to anywhere that's complementary, and could also form temp H-bonds with areas that aren't completely complementary, so they wouldn't be all that helpful in sequencing, right? The only time I've really seen anything about probes was locating a gene for genetic engineering

yes sorry my mistake!
Any advice on exam technique ? Im pretty confident with the content but my application is poor :frown:
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Any advice on exam technique ? Im pretty confident with the content but my application is poor :frown:

Couldn't agree with this more! I really really am struggling with f215 - practiscing exams with an
Open text book and still getting answers wrong, so annoying 😭 anyone help????
Reply 723
got 90/100 in june 2014 f215 in class
Original post by Yua

WOW congrats!!!!!
what do you do on a typical day for bio revision ::smile:
Reply 725
Original post by games211
WOW congrats!!!!!
what do you do on a typical day for bio revision ::smile:

i just read through the book as much as i can and as many times as i can

also started doing past papers
Original post by Yua

You cheated

Dont lie :hand:

Getting that high in biology is impossible
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 727
Original post by ums maestro
You cheated

Dont lie :hand:

Getting that high in biology is impossible
Posted from TSR Mobile

got 146/150 last year for f214 also

but believe what you want, however you make yourself feel good
Reply 728
On the bottom of page 93 in the text book, attempt the questions as they summarise the evidence for chemiosmosis and then find the answers in the back of the text book on page 258.

I found it really tough at first but I the answers condense that whole page into 6 key points really well.

Hope this helps!
Reply 729
Original post by utsav12
Hey Guys I am really struggling with evidence regarding chemiosmosis. Could someone help me with this please?:smile:

On the bottom of page 93 in the text book, attempt the questions as they summarise the evidence for chemiosmosis and then find the answers in the back of the text book on page 258.

I found it really tough at first but I the answers condense that whole page into 6 key points really well.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Yua
got 146/150 last year for f214 also

Yeah, nice score mate :rolleyes:

You know you get clocked in your lies when f214 has only 90 ums

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 731
Yeah, nice score mate :rolleyes:

You know you get clocked in your lies when f214 has only 90 ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

f212 my bad LOL
yeah, nice score mate :rolleyes:

you know you get clocked in your lies when f214 has only 90 ums

posted from tsr mobile

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
Original post by Yua
can anyone explain linkage to me

2+ genes are 'linked' if present on the same chromosome, since they can't be separated by independent assortment so will be inherited together. The closer they are to each other on the chromosome, the less likely it is that they'll be separated during crossing over, so there's a greater chance of parental gametes being formed than recombinant gametes.
How is everyone revising at the minute?

To nail the content for topics i'm still learning at the moment, i'm creating notes by combining my class notes with the cgp study guide, the notes on biotutor and the condensed notes from TSR. I'm then using small record cards to summarise things so i can comprehend what it is i actually need to know, and I do most memorisation with anki these days.

On top of past papers, some of which i've yet to do for f215, i'm doing topic-organised question booklets. There are some in an old thread on TSR & also some on the biotutor website. Anything and everything i don't know i write down separately and memorise. I'm also finding crashcourse p useful too for low-level revision haha.

In half term I'm going to mindmap EVERYTHING just to ensure all the content is fresh in my mind, & also look at the 'stretch&challenge' notes that somebody has put on getrevising. I guess I should also compile definition lists lol, I'm SO behind on definitions compared to last year but I think i'll have picked most of them up during the course hopefully.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HeyThereHarry

To nail the content for topics i'm still learning at the moment, i'm creating notes by combining my class notes with the cgp study guide, the notes on biotutor and the condensed notes from TSR. I'm then using small record cards to summarise things so i can comprehend what it is i actually need to know, and I do most memorisation with anki these days.

On top of past papers, some of which i've yet to do for f215, i'm doing topic-organised question booklets. There are some in an old thread on TSR & also some on the biotutor website. Anything and everything i don't know i write down separately and memorise. I'm also finding crashcourse p useful too for low-level revision haha.

In half term I'm going to mindmap EVERYTHING just to ensure all the content is fresh in my mind, & also look at the 'stretch&challenge' notes that somebody has put on getrevising. I guess I should also compile definition lists lol, I'm SO behind on definitions compared to last year but I think i'll have picked most of them up during the course hopefully.

Daamn bro. That is some solid revision tactics there

All i do is read the book over and over and then do exam questions/papers :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeyThereHarry

I'm more or less doing what you're doing, except I've made my notes and I'm doing practice questions as I go. Still need to finish my notes on Dopamine though. Do you wanna link that stretch and challenge notes thingy?
You know alleles, they are just mutations of the normal genes innit? :hmmm:

How do we know which is the normal gene and which is an allele? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know alleles, they are just mutations of the normal genes innit? :hmmm:

How do we know which is the normal gene and which is an allele? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

An allele is an alternative version of a gene. So there are different alleles for the eye colour gene. Yes they are often produced by a mutation of a gene leading to a slightly different polypeptide being synthesised.
Original post by bbadonde2
An allele is an alternative version of a gene. So there are different alleles for the eye colour gene. Yes they are often produced by a mutation of a gene leading to a slightly different polypeptide being synthesised.

You know in meiosis, the book shows four chromosomes for meiosis

But each human cell has 23 pairs of chromosomes, right? So in humans, how many chromosomes would be up for meisos? 46 pairs right? :hmmm:

How many cells would then be produced after meiosis is complete? 4, but with each cell with 23 chromosomes?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending