The Student Room Group

AQA AS History Tsarist Russia Wed 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hello...

Could you tell me please (roughly from what you can remember) what questions came up?
For the 1st 24 marker I wrote about emancipation and military

Then I did question 5/6, and put that the workers discontent was the most important, etc

The 12 markers threw me a little

Ughhh
Could you tell me please (roughly from what you can remember) what questions came up? Would be good to know as students at my old school are doing this exam.
Reply 43
Original post by benjenstark
For the 1st 24 marker I wrote about emancipation and military

Then I did question 5/6, and put that the workers discontent was the most important, etc

The 12 markers threw me a little

Ughhh

1st 24 marker I did the same, spoke briefly about law reform and encourage urban migration which was bad due to awful conditions

1st 12 marker on the military was cake

2nd 12 marker on the cities I couldn't believe my luck :tongue: got so many statistics

2nd 24 marker I was dead as a duck
Reply 44
Yes all reforms that occured within russia are domestic, eg military educatinal, emancipation, zemstavs etc
Reply 45
Original post by iamtherealkaiser
Could you tell me please (roughly from what you can remember) what questions came up? Would be good to know as students at my old school are doing this exam.

I have good memory

[01] Why did Alexander II reform the military in the 1870s
[02] Did the domestic policies of Alex II improve the conditions of the peasants
[03] Why did the cities grow in the 1890s
[04] Was the opposition between 1881-1904 to tsarism due to social changes?
[05] Why was the state duma setup in 1906
[06] Were the workers the biggest cause of the 1917 revolutions? (I think)
Thank you so much.

Very helpful.
Original post by whorace
1st 24 marker I did the same, spoke briefly about law reform and encourage urban migration which was bad due to awful conditions

1st 12 marker on the military was cake

2nd 12 marker on the cities I couldn't believe my luck :tongue: got so many statistics

2nd 24 marker I was dead as a duck

Ahh yeah, I said overall he didn't improve conditions because of loss of land which serfs were angry about, and the military remaining overall peasant force which was defeated by a 'Third Rate' power;

Military - I said to preserve autocracy, to reform after Crimean War, to ensure the economy was strong (emancipation - military - factories) because of how military is invariably linked to strength of the economy; so that the army would remain loyal. No idea if this is good or not.

And lol, I saw those two and completely blanked! It's a shame cos I could've gotten statistics in too...
Reply 48
Original post by Mdawg123
Yes all reforms that occured within russia are domestic, eg military educatinal, emancipation, zemstavs etc

I focused way to much on Alex III at the extent of Nicholas II, I didn't talk about his personality at all, I should have said opposition was equally the fault of stubborn personality than social change.
Reply 49
Original post by whorace
I focused way to much on Alex III at the extent of Nicholas II, I didn't talk about his personality at all, I should have said opposition was equally the fault of stubborn personality than social change.

What question are you talking about?
Been getting As in history all year and completely flunked this exam, v annoyed. Looking back at previous papers I think this one has to be the nastiest so far.
Reply 51
Original post by will_jg
Been getting As in history all year and completely flunked this exam, v annoyed. Looking back at previous papers I think this one has to be the nastiest so far.

Same! Lets hope for low grade boundaries!
That was awful! I read the paper and was like "oh my god" so unexpected, such annoying questions. Had much a mind blank to the point where I had to take 5 minutes and recompose myself!
I did question 1, and question 2 as the 24-marker for question 3 looked impossible!
Reply 53
i actually thought it was good

the questions so much better than they could have been!
Like what happened to the economic questions which are basically a blessing. Swear they've been on every paper but this one.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it a bit dodgy! (well, the people who I spoke to in school did; however TSR sometimes has a way of making you feel like you've done terrible) I was so looking forward to the economy 24 marker, man...all those statistics memorised for nothing.

Though if I resit next year...
Reply 56
DOMESTIC = Education, Zemstva, Judicial, Emancipation (things to do with Russia life excl military). I think you could possibly throw in stuff about Pahlen's Courts but i doubt it, since those reforms are the more autocratic ones).

Anyway i talked about how education was extended which meant improved literacy rates and more opportunities for peasants to enter education? Also talked about emancipation and how that affected the peasants life conditions. Also talked about judicial and the improved equality = more fair = improved life for peasants. Then i disagreed and talked about emancipation negatives and how that affected the life of peasants. Then i described the negatives of the Zemstva (i.e. unfair as a representational government for peasants as it was dominated by conservative nobility). Then i talked about education and the tighter control.
Original post by A9M4D
DOMESTIC = Education, Zemstva, Judicial, Emancipation (things to do with Russia life excl military). I think you could possibly throw in stuff about Pahlen's Courts but i doubt it, since those reforms are the more autocratic ones).

Anyway i talked about how education was extended which meant improved literacy rates and more opportunities for peasants to enter education? Also talked about emancipation and how that affected the peasants life conditions. Also talked about judicial and the improved equality = more fair = improved life for peasants. Then i disagreed and talked about emancipation negatives and how that affected the life of peasants. Then i described the negatives of the Zemstva (i.e. unfair as a representational government for peasants as it was dominated by conservative nobility). Then i talked about education and the tighter control.

I asked my teacher, he said it was okay to talk about military.

Seems as if your answer was well balanced though.
What did everyone put in question 2 for 24 marker? I didn't do very well..
What did everyone put for the 24 marker for the 6 question...i completely failed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending