The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography Unit 1 12th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone else do Q7 for the 10/15 markers? For 7b I wrote in a lot of detail about both El Niño and La Niña, as well as talking specifically about how London floods due to physical factors and linked this in to a human factor of urban impermeability...
How many do you think I will get out of 15 for that?
Original post by JoePhillips
Did anyone else do Q7 for the 10/15 markers? For 7b I wrote in a lot of detail about both El Niño and La Niña, as well as talking specifically about how London floods due to physical factors and linked this in to a human factor of urban impermeability...

i did same but talked about cali and phillipines suffering from cyclones too and well populated so more concrete and ….
also included landslides forgot to put tsunamis in though
Original post by JoePhillips

wrote similar things for 7a tbh
If you wrote about solar output and astronomical forcing for short term climate change is it wrong?
Original post by Manexopi
Wow well done! Im really bad at coasts though I don't understand the questions half the time.

Do you have any tips?

Also the answer for the short term thing was volcanic activity and sunspots. I made a bunch of notes off of mark schemes and I remember for sunspots they wrote that it is an 11 year cycle linked to short term climate change - edexcels words.

Just to practise past papers! It helps a lot, focusing on methodology and research.
Original post by dramaqueen28
If you wrote about solar output and astronomical forcing for short term climate change is it wrong?

Astronomical Forcing is long term climate change e.g Orbital eccentricity is 100,000 years. So probably not sorry.
Original post by 98girl
What did everyone write for transport encouraging globalisation? Think it was 4/5 marks

Transport allows the easier transfer of goods, this means there is an easier flow of trade and thus increasing economic integration between countries. Firms can travel abroad and make more efficient business transfers this allows more TNC and firms to invest in other countries and thus encourage FDI, therefore encouraging globalisation.
I think I did well but its geography. Grade boundaries are ugly and i just feel uncomfortable if any unofficial mark schemes come up or boundaries #subbed
Original post by y0shigonewilde
I think I did well but its geography. Grade boundaries are ugly and i just feel uncomfortable if any unofficial mark schemes come up or boundaries #subbed

Isn't it usually around 68% for an A?
Original post by cherryblossoms
Just to practise past papers! It helps a lot, focusing on methodology and research.

Like actually sit down and answer them?

I come up with similar points to the markscheme but Idk how to write it in a way to get marks :/

Do you think I should make a plan for some of my answers in the exam considering we have like no time to begin with -.-

Ugh I'm so done with geogrpahy.
my problem is i really think i did terribly in that exam, for some reason i just keep doubting myself and geography is really my favourite subject. i spent absolutely ages revising it but hearing what people had put on their answers really worries me :frown:. i really want to take it a uni. but if i get a C or a D. i dont know what else i could do,. any #tips please. will i not get offers from university if i get a c in it??
Reply 371
Original post by grammar12
I just found a really helpful revision guide on my computer for the unit 2 (GEO2) exam on Friday (I got a high A in it last year) with case studies and general info, also some examiners tips etc. If anybody wants it, drop me a message and Ill send it to you

Hey Please could you send this to me, I'm freaking out over this exam :frown:
Original post by climatechange101
my problem is i really think i did terribly in that exam, for some reason i just keep doubting myself and geography is really my favourite subject. i spent absolutely ages revising it but hearing what people had put on their answers really worries me :frown:. i really want to take it a uni. but if i get a C or a D. i dont know what else i could do,. any #tips please. will i not get offers from university if i get a c in it??

I'm a year 13 student, re-doing unit one geography - I got a D last year in unit 1 (re-marked to a low C) and an A in unit 2 - came to a high C overall. Still got offers from KCL, Newcastle, Exeter.

Edit - I'm applying for Geography
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Manexopi
Like actually sit down and answer them?

I come up with similar points to the markscheme but Idk how to write it in a way to get marks :/

Do you think I should make a plan for some of my answers in the exam considering we have like no time to begin with -.-

Ugh I'm so done with geogrpahy.

Yes because they may be smiliar question that comes in the exam
Original post by climatechange101

There is universities that has lower grade requirements so you will be able to geography at university still such as CCC or BBC. Also if you think you did bad in this one just workers harder in the other units and push your grade up! Just don't doubt yourself and work hard
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 375
I thought this was a pretty good paper compared to last year. The only few things I didn't like were (along with the rest of us) the Fairtrade question and also the economic impacts not including agriculture in Africa (I put major flooding in Gambia leading to massive loss of infrastructure and business incomes because the country is basically one massive river). The developments in transport question was good I thought (low cost flights for air travel, pan-Chinese highways for cars and the Suez canal leading to India for shipping).

Also Question 7 was rather tough. For A, I used Japan as an MDC which reduces risk as they can combat the effects, Haiyan for the Philippines using Manila and Luzon and also using Nepal as a brief topical point. 7B I said El Niño and La Niña as well as the whole 5°-25° north and south of the equator/Coriolis effect thing :biggrin: Section B has never been my strong point - did anyone else put anything similar?? :s-smilie:
Reply 376
Transport allows the easier transfer of goods, this means there is an easier flow of trade and thus increasing economic integration between countries. Firms can travel abroad and make more efficient business transfers this allows more TNC and firms to invest in other countries and thus encourage FDI, therefore encouraging globalisation.

Think I wrote about intervening obstacles being overcome such as UK and France eurostar means ocean can be crossed increasing trade in these countries. Cheap flights connect most people in UK to rest of world. Also said about distances seeming shorter because of good transport creating shrinking world. Not sure if my answer was that relevant
Original post by AW97
Hey Please could you send this to me, I'm freaking out over this exam :frown:

check out the link I posted on my profile
Original post by p.formanko
I'm a year 13 student, re-doing unit one geography - I got a D last year in unit 1 (re-marked to a low C) and an A in unit 2 - came to a high C overall. Still got offers from KCL, Newcastle, Exeter.

Edit - I'm applying for Geography

OMG thank youuuu soo sosoo helpful! i really want an offer from exeter of lancaster <3 thank you so so much
There is universities that has lower grade requirements so you will be able to geography at university still such as CCC or BBC. Also if you think you did bad in this one just workers harder in the other units and push your grade up! Just don't doubt yourself and work hard

thank you again for the motivation really helfull! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending