The Student Room Group

Should there be a legal requirement to vote in General Election?

I know it may seem out there, and I know there will be criticism, but would it be easier for everyone over 18 to have a legal requirement to vote, depending on their status within the UK (having lived in the UK for more than three years, etc.).

It would really then be the public voting rather than a portion of it. The portion itself, no matter what the electoral system is, does not reflect the views of the entire country. I actually wonder what the result would have been had every single 18+ in the country voted - only just over 50% of my constituency voted, but then that's usually a 'safe' seat anyway.

Maybe make the voting day a public holiday so there's no excuse not to vote?

I dunno, it's just an idea. It may suck. What do you guys think?
Reply 1
I would obviously like to see more people vote. Having said that, I am not in favour of compulsory voting. I think the main reason is that you aren't actually tackling the core problem of disengagement with politics - most people would either spoil the ballot or vote for their favourite colour. Also, how would it be enforced? Almost impossible to. Even if people did vote, many probably wouldn't be politically engaged and thus the result becomes somewhat skewed. Just my opinion though.
I don't see why more people should vote if they don't want to. I really don't see what is to attractive with making everyone vote... What's so important about people voting? Individual votes hardly matter as it is and those who don't vote tend to know nothing about politics in the first place - most of them.
Original post by alexgr97
I would obviously like to see more people vote. Having said that, I am not in favour of compulsory voting. I think the main reason is that you aren't actually tackling the core problem of disengagement with politics - most people would either spoil the ballot or vote for their favourite colour. Also, how would it be enforced? Almost impossible to. Even if people did vote, many probably wouldn't be politically engaged and thus the result becomes somewhat skewed. Just my opinion though.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, that's why I wanted opinions on the matter.

People need to get more engaged with politics, and I think it would help if there wasn't so much media bias. I walked into the newsagents during the election this week, and pretty much all of the papers slated Labour. I'm neither a Labour nor a Conservative supporter, but it's not the way to make people decide who to vote for.

I would suggest Politics in school, but I know how that would turn out. In 2005, we were told about the Election, and how we should vote Labour when we were old enough (we were about 12-13 at the time).
Reply 4
Original post by LaughingKitsune
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, that's why I wanted opinions on the matter.

People need to get more engaged with politics, and I think it would help if there wasn't so much media bias. I walked into the newsagents during the election this week, and pretty much all of the papers slated Labour. I'm neither a Labour nor a Conservative supporter, but it's not the way to make people decide who to vote for.

I would suggest Politics in school, but I know how that would turn out. In 2005, we were told about the Election, and how we should vote Labour when we were old enough (we were about 12-13 at the time).

I agree with you to an extent. We've just had a mock election which was fantastic to see such engagement from pupils especially younger down in the school. I'm in favour of some sort of compulsory political education, but I don't think it should be a timetabled, examined subject throughout the whole year. Maybe just something basic, once a week or so?
Good grief, no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending