The Student Room Group

AQA maths core 1, 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560

Oh well, maybe next time hehe :wink:. Thanks btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rk2k14
Did you have to put n=7 because for similar questions on other mark-schemes they never stated that?

for similar questions, it was always 4-marks. this one was 5 marks so that may be where the extra mark comes from, not sure though
Original post by tanyapotter
for similar questions, it was always 4-marks. this one was 5 marks so that may be where the extra mark comes from, not sure though

Could be because it wasn't as simple as others. E.g. they normally give you the surds as fractions but in this case you had to work it out.
Guessing many people haven't done it so hopefully they let it go:tongue:
Reply 563
Original post by aoxa
Like all of them? I thought that was the hardest C1 paper I've ever done. How did you find it as a whole?

I think the applied modules will hard this year too.

Really! I thought the june 2014 was the harder than todays.

As a whole I thought the paper was what I expected to be. The only mistake I made was that I didnt do the hardest looking question till last and that kinda made me work till the last second.

What do you mean by the applied modules? Are for maths?
Reply 564
Original post by cba23
I think the vector was (2,4) and just plugged in (x-2) wherever there's an x value and y-4 on the other side then rearrange it.

thanks i think thats what i got but i can't really remember
ME!!
Original post by Rk2k14
Could be because it wasn't as simple as others. E.g. they normally give you the surds as fractions but in this case you had to work it out.
Guessing many people haven't done it so hopefully they let it go:tongue:

you are probably right

for the completing the square question, was it okay to leave the solution in the actual completed square (x+3/2)^2 - 1/4 or did we have to separately write p= 3/2 and q= -1/4 ?
Reply 567
Original post by tadit
So the original equation was y=x^2 + 3x + 2 and you want to translate it through the vector (2 4) which means with every x you minus 2, and for every y value you minus 4, which gives y-4=(x-2)^2 + 3(x-2) + 2
You can then expand and rearrange to get y=x^2 - x + 4
Hope this makes some sense at least :smile:

cheers bro
Original post by K.D
im pretty sure 6aii was 2 marks, not 3

I'd imagine it being 3, but I can't remember for sure.
Reply 569
I've realised I dropped marks on it because I didn't read that it was open at the top. Stupid mistake
you are probably right

for the completing the square question, was it okay to leave the solution in the actual completed square (x+3/2)^2 - 1/4 or did we have to separately write p= 3/2 and q= -1/4 ?

Same case I guess; you only have to state the values separately if it asks you to.
Reply 571
Original post by starfish5577
On the cylinder question who got 4 for the stationary point ?

Pretty sure I got the same
Original post by asunny1998
I think I got something similar to you

It was 54 minus this, so it was 162/5
Reply 573
Original post by DexterMabel123
i got b =7

This isn't correct.
The area under the curve was 108/5
but there was a trapezium
which has 54
so shaded region = 54 - 108/5 = 162/5.
you are probably right

To be honest in all the past papers i've done i've never wrote p= or q=:biggrin:. They should give it to because in mark-schemes they never mark you down for it.
Original post by l1lvink
Same case I guess; you only have to state the values separately if it asks you to.

okay, but /did/ it ask to state it for the completing the square question? i really hope it didn't!! i'm so close to losing my 90 UMS D:
Reply 576
Original post by snuvisol
How many marks will I get for drawing y=-x^2(x-3) instead of y=x^2(x-3) Anyone??

none
What do you guys reckon the grade boundaries will be? 62 for an A last year, but that was an easy paper. This one wasn't the easiest.
Original post by Rk2k14
What do you guys reckon the grade boundaries will be? 62 for an A last year, but that was an easy paper. This one wasn't the easiest.

i'd say between 60 and 63
Reply 579
Got exactly the same except 7biv), I think I put X = -2 by mistake!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending