The Student Room Group

Edexcel RS - foundations exam - 14th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nandosfood
Do you know if we can combine part i. and part ii. into one 'mini essay'?

You can if you want
But I think what the exam board say is that it is easier to get the marks doing too separate questions, but if you feel you can get both A01 and A02 all in one essay then you are allowed to put them together
Reply 21
I'm a bit scared for this exam! I know all the content, but I'm worried difficult questions will come up that I won't know how to answer :frown:
I have revised design, situation ethics and war and peace fully
and utilitarianism a bit
but then my teacher was saying I should go over cosmological and religion and morality too :frown: is any one else doing that?
Reply 22
Yeah it's quite likely
Reply 23
I did it last year, and the evil and suffering question was horrendous (hence why I'm retaking), so hopefully that should be a tad easier this year. Other than that I think it's best to revise two of the theories, because Utilitarianism being mixed with something is apparently quite likely? Somebody please tell me I'm wrong, so I don't have to brush up too much on situation -_-
Reply 24
Original post by fran_fran
[About philosophy and ethics]

My teacher put together a list of the topics covered by each exam since Jan09 - which is, as far as I'm aware, the year our syllabus started being taught. The only two topics which occasionally haven't featured are:
- Religion and Morality
- Situation Ethics
Otherwise, all of the other topics have come up consistently, every single year.

Someone said that 2015 will be the final exam paper made on this syllabus (can anyone confirm?), so it hardly seems like the time to shake things up.

They've never asked us to cover more than one topic in a single essay. (Even those odd "Sit Eth/Util" questions asked you to choose only one to talk about.)

My teachers never suggested we'd have to combine topics for a single essay - it never even went through my mind. I'll still revise a couple of extra topics, in case there's a particularly horrible question, but other than that, everything points to this exam paper being business as usual.

Good luck everyone! Should be fine. :smile:

Utilitarianism has never been linked with situation or religion and morality?
Reply 25
Original post by ollie237
I did it last year, and the evil and suffering question was horrendous (hence why I'm retaking), so hopefully that should be a tad easier this year. Other than that I think it's best to revise two of the theories, because Utilitarianism being mixed with something is apparently quite likely? Somebody please tell me I'm wrong, so I don't have to brush up too much on situation -_-

My teacher taught us mainly utilitarianism but at the end she taught us a rough bit on situation just in case they do mix util/situ...she gave us comparisons and just the main content of situation ethics really...but you never know, sometimes they mix them, sometimes they do them as separate questions..:/
I think they will combine cosmological and design together. Probably to make it as hard as possible! How much do you write for your introduction?
Reply 27
I'm worried about if they combine cosmological and design since i have only been taught design:/ are u sure they can do that?
Original post by BBB97
I'm worried about if they combine cosmological and design since i have only been taught design:/ are u sure they can do that?

Yeah they can do that, they have done it before. I worry about religion and morality occurring because we weren't taught that either!
Reply 29
Original post by rachbowen_1
Yeah they can do that, they have done it before. I worry about religion and morality occurring because we weren't taught that either!

oh god no:frown: im scared now haha...well i guess we will just have to see what happens and hope for the best? :smile:
Original post by BBB97
oh god no:frown: im scared now haha...well i guess we will just have to see what happens and hope for the best? :smile:

How much do you write for your introductions? Because I read an examiners comment where somebody was put into a low level 3 band last year because they had like a long introduction. But I was always told to do like a whole paragraph intro! Also do you include books?
all of these rumours about mixing up questions has got me really scared now :')
Reply 32
Original post by rachbowen_1
How much do you write for your introductions? Because I read an examiners comment where somebody was put into a low level 3 band last year because they had like a long introduction. But I was always told to do like a whole paragraph intro! Also do you include books?

I tend to write a small paragraph for intro but just be careful of waffling on about pointless things as the examiner won't like that as you will just be wasting their time. What tends to be best to include in your intro (i would say) is an introductory sentence which you should link to the question as this shows your application of your knowledge to the actual question and then perhaps outline the theory or whatever you are about to talk about.
(e.g. for design argument, you may define it and then give the premises of it) I would then end the small paragraph with a sentence which will lead onto the next paragraph containing the bulk of info :smile: hope this makes sense
Reply 33
Original post by TomWeller

same:/
Original post by TomWeller

They aren't rumours this actually happens haha
Reply 35
How much time do you spend on part a and b?
Original post by BBB97
I tend to write a small paragraph for intro but just be careful of waffling on about pointless things as the examiner won't like that as you will just be wasting their time. What tends to be best to include in your intro (i would say) is an introductory sentence which you should link to the question as this shows your application of your knowledge to the actual question and then perhaps outline the theory or whatever you are about to talk about.
(e.g. for design argument, you may define it and then give the premises of it) I would then end the small paragraph with a sentence which will lead onto the next paragraph containing the bulk of info :smile: hope this makes sense

Okay thank you!! I spend so much time like trying to impress the examiner in an introduction but then realise that I shouldn't actually do that. I have prepared to answer evil and suffering, design and situation ethics!
Reply 37
Design and cosmological is something they've threatened to do, but I'm not sure they've ever actually done it have they?
Original post by Bobbs
How much time do you spend on part a and b?

I do 20 minutes on A and 10 minutes on B
Original post by ollie237
Design and cosmological is something they've threatened to do, but I'm not sure they've ever actually done it have they?

They have done it because on my last mock exam, they were joined together! And I completely panicked

Quick Reply