The Student Room Group

missed uni exams due to very bad viral infection, now I'm scared about the outcome

Scroll to see replies

I know what a severe cold can do...i hope you are fine now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pagorai
I know what a severe cold can do...i hope you are fine now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you at least one person understands :smile: I made a mistake in my OP it's actually a very bad viral infection (a cold is a minor viral infection), my advice service replied to my email and told me my symptoms describe a severe viral infection. I felt dizzy, had abdominal pains, and very high fever, on top of the usual headache, sore throat and muscle pain and fatigue. I literally felt like I had no energy at all. I tried so hard to carry on pushing myself. I would probably describe the pain I felt to the pain I felt while I had chicken pox when I was 17 (minus the itchy spots). Chicken pox is much worse in adults than in children
Hi there,

Just thought I'd post a public reminder to those other than have had a reminder placed upon their account. :smile:

Please keep it friendly, if you have nothing constructive to say (e.g. the mocking of the situation) then please kindly don't post and move on to the next thread. :yy: Let's keep Uni Life a decent place, we should all be mature enough here.

If OP has a diagnosis from the doctor of a bad viral infection, then it would be beneficial to have this in writing which can then be used in mitigating circumstances. This would have an impact on your final grading should you take the exam. If you choose not to, then the university will probably ask you to take it during the summer vacation when retakes take place.

Cheers,
RF
Original post by celina10
Thank you at least one person understands :smile: I made a mistake in my OP it's actually a very bad viral infection (a cold is a minor viral infection), my advice service replied to my email and told me my symptoms describe a severe viral infection. I felt dizzy, had abdominal pains, and very high fever, on top of the usual headache, sore throat and muscle pain and fatigue. I literally felt like I had no energy at all. I tried so hard to carry on pushing myself. I would probably describe the pain I felt to the pain I felt while I had chicken pox when I was 17 (minus the itchy spots). Chicken pox is much worse in adults than in children

I wouldn't worry about it; the professors in your dept. are responsible for deciding and usually, it's not in their interest to deny help to students because bad results reflect badly on the dept. I suspended my studies due to mental health issues, KCL knew about the extent through previous doctors notes etc. from me being honest. I suspended my studies without a doctors note (was unable to get any appt.) and so they are understanding.

Don't worry about it; they will probably say yes and you worrying won't change the outcome anyway. You can appeal the decision through student services and your not a doctor, you can't be expected to give a correct diagnosis on your form.
Original post by Roving Fish
Hi there,

Just thought I'd post a public reminder to those other than have had a reminder placed upon their account. :smile:

Please keep it friendly, if you have nothing constructive to say (e.g. the mocking of the situation) then please kindly don't post and move on to the next thread. :yy: Let's keep Uni Life a decent place, we should all be mature enough here.

If OP has a diagnosis from the doctor of a bad viral infection, then it would be beneficial to have this in writing which can then be used in mitigating circumstances. This would have an impact on your final grading should you take the exam. If you choose not to, then the university will probably ask you to take it during the summer vacation when retakes take place.

Cheers,
RF

Do you think my case could be accepted, my university advice service also told me that the GP note and my description show that this more than just a cold. My head of department also seems quite supportive.

Original post by Georg Hegel
I wouldn't worry about it; the professors in your dept. are responsible for deciding and usually, it's not in their interest to deny help to students because bad results reflect badly on the dept. I suspended my studies due to mental health issues, KCL knew about the extent through previous doctors notes etc. from me being honest. I suspended my studies without a doctors note (was unable to get any appt.) and so they are understanding.

Don't worry about it; they will probably say yes and you worrying won't change the outcome anyway. You can appeal the decision through student services and your not a doctor, you can't be expected to give a correct diagnosis on your form.

What do you mean? Did you choose to withdraw from a few exams or you left the university completely?

Thank you for the advice, do you really think they would say yes?
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you think my case could be accepted, my university advice service also told me that the GP note and my description show that this more than just a cold. My head of department also seems quite supportive.

If the GP does it then it will probably work. When are your exams?
If the GP does it then it will probably work. When are your exams?

Yeah I also submitted a GPs notes, and my GP also described it as a very bad viral infection, well the symptoms he wrote described it as that according to the advice service at my uni. My exams have already been missed
Yeah I also submitted a GPs notes, and my GP also described it as a very bad viral infection, well the symptoms he wrote described it as that according to the advice service at my uni. My exams have already been missed

Should be cool then.
Should be cool then.

Okay thanks for the advice:smile:
My friend was physically unable to attend one of her exams due to chemo, and she got her predicted grade used as her real one

Of course, I had respiratory tract infection as well as chest infection because of that. Not once but twice! It was like hell. I know how it feels to experience all of those therefore i do hope you are fine now. Dont stress yourself so much, I'm sure everything will be fine.
Hope you're feeling much better and get your note accepted. Just focus on the August exams now.
Original post by pagorai
Of course, I had respiratory tract infection as well as chest infection because of that. Not once but twice! It was like hell. I know how it feels to experience all of those therefore i do hope you are fine now. Dont stress yourself so much, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Yes infections are the worst, that does sound extremely painful. Thank you for your kind words, I really hope you're all right :smile: Viral infections can range from very minor to very severe depending on the type of virus and the persons immune system, I feel like people often forget that

Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
Hope you're feeling much better and get your note accepted. Just focus on the August exams now.

Thank you also for your kind words :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes infections are the worst, that does sound extremely painful. Thank you for your kind words, I really hope you're right :smile: Viral infections can range from very minor to very severe depending on the type of virus and the persons immune system, I feel like people often forget that

yes i am fine although the doctor told me that my immune system has caused my tract to shrink a little. My immune syt Therefore i run out of breath and i guess he told me that i am in the intial stage of asthma..:colonhash: so i also have a inhaler...
I hope you didnt get as affected as me..
Cold can be a b****
Original post by pagorai
yes i am fine although the doctor told me that my immune system has caused my tract to shrink a little. My immune syt Therefore i run out of breath and i guess he told me that i am in the intial stage of asthma..:colonhash: so i also have a inhaler...
I hope you didnt get as affected as me..
Cold can be a b****

I'm glad you're okay now. It sounds like you had a very severe case if that much damage has been caused. And yes I agree 100% colds can be a b**** :tongue:

My throat is killing me and my jaws too, the area under my under my jaw where it connects to my neck also feels swollen, I called my doctor and he told me to wait a few days and see if it gets better. It's been over 2 weeks, you're supposed to visit the doctor after a week I think and over 3 weeks it's highly recommended to see a doctor. This is the worst infection I've ever had by far.

What do you mean? Did you choose to withdraw from a few exams or you left the university completely?

Thank you for the advice, do you really think they would say yes?

I've interrupted my studies so I will graduate with the year below me. Have you heard anything back? Do you have any other exams that you need to worry about? I would try to keep busy, even if it is just watching films, because worrying about the outcome won't be good for your health.
I've interrupted my studies so I will graduate with the year below me. Have you heard anything back? Do you have any other exams that you need to worry about? I would try to keep busy, even if it is just watching films, because worrying about the outcome won't be good for your health.

Thank you for the advice, my head of department just emailed me to let me know that there isn't anything to worry about (from looking at my form) as my personal tutor let her know how concerned I was. My form is still being processed. So I'm just hoping for the best but it does seem like I was maybe worrying for no reason. You're right kings are very understanding :smile:
Reply 77
has anyone ever missed an exam due to a cold or heard of it happening?

If that happens you can resit them when you feel better again
yeah :frown:

I was dying in first year, or at least I'd been ill the whole year (and was still sick by the time exams came), I still sat my exams

Hi, just have a quick question if you don't mind. My head of department emailed me saying that the pharmacy board have met and accepted my absence form and decided to give me replacement exams in august but this is subject to ratification by the college board, but my head of department said that the chances of the college board not accepting my form is remote. So replacement exams mean that august would be seen as my first sitting right and won't be capped? And is there anything to worry about regarding the outcome of the decision?

EDIT: I realised our last conversation was a while ago, so you probably don't remember :tongue:. I also go to kings and I missed exams due to a viral infection.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest