The Student Room Group

AQA maths core 1, 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InaneRambler
I wouldn't say so! How can the distance to a line within the circle be greater than the radius?

(5 root 2)^2 - 1^2 = root 9. or 3.

5root2 x 5root2 is 25x2 which is 50
50-1 is 49
root49 is 7
Reply 701
anyone get the expression for h in the cylinder question to be h=24r^-1 - 1/2r
I wouldn't say so! How can the distance to a line within the circle be greater than the radius?

Line^2 =(5√2)^2 - 1^2 = 49
distance = 7
Original post by C0balt
I've done all the past papers and I can say that this was much harder than previous years. I personally got 75/75 so I'm not saying it was hard just because it was my actual exam. It was harder objectively speaking. I expect about 73/75 to be 100UMS. 2014 was 74/75 and this year was harder than last year for sure due to the cylinder question.
I predict all other maths papers will be hard this year. Last year every module had low grade boundaries. For example FP1 is usually 75/75 for 100UMS but last year 69/75 was 100UMS. A huge drop with M1, C2 too and D1 was also lower. I think they have decided to make the exams harder since last year.

Totally agree
Original post by r-star
for the question about finding r and stating whether its a max ormin(4 marks)
i stated dy/dx=0 got r=4
Then did d2y/dx^2 which i got as 24pi -6pir/2 simplidied to 24pi-3pir/2
I plugged 4 into it got 12pi and sed mininum valueI
How many marks will i get out of 4 for this? will i get method marks?

for the b2-4ac where it said how equation has one real root--i got my equation as x^2-x+10 i sed b^2-4ac<0 cos the value i got was negative and i sed only real root was x=-2 how many marks will i get out for 3 for this?

and for the cubic questuion worth 3 marks- i did it through 0 and touched x axis. how many marks will i get for this as well? thanks

I would say for the first two questions, 4 and then 3. For the cubic question you will have got 2, unless you marked the touching point with the x axis as 3. Then you will get full marks assuming your curve is the correct shape.
Original post by tanyapotter
what would you say an A grade would be? and would getting 67/68 out of 75 secure a 90UMS? D:
well done on full raw marks! bloody hell

I can't speak for grade boundaries as I only look at UMS lol
But I think 68 will be enough for 90 for this paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
5root2 x 5root2 is 25x2 which is 50
50-1 is 49
root49 is 7

Oh dear! My bad then lol
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! do you reckon 67 might be cutting it a bit thin?
Oh dear! My bad then lol

i feel your pain, i made the same mistake :redface: it may or may not have cost me my 90 UMS depending on the grade boundaries, but we shall see

5root2 > 7
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

this paper was alot easier (aside from the cylinder) for me personally because i sat the exam last year so i expected it to be alot harder
Original post by asunny1998
How did everyone find the paper?

lol the paper was cruddy, abdouloutly ridicilous cosidering they threw all these demanding questions and just giving 1 hour 30 mins!!! FUMING right about now!!
Reply 712
I would say for the first two questions, 4 and then 3. For the cubic question you will have got 2, unless you marked the touching point with the x axis as 3. Then you will get full marks assuming your curve is the correct shape.

for the first question people got -12pi-max??
and for discriminant my quadratic was wrong because b was -5 and i got -x

for cubic i did POS cubic going through 0 and touching x axis
Original post by RhyaCeri
this paper was alot easier (aside from the cylinder) for me personally because i sat the exam last year so i expected it to be alot harder

why was last year's exam considered difficult? i found this year's far harder:frown:
thank you! do you reckon 67 might be cutting it a bit thin?

Should be fine I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
why was last year's exam considered difficult? i found this year's far harder:frown:

i feel your pain bro, but dw i am sure the grade boundaries are gonna drop quite hard so their is always light at the end of the tunnel, stay on top of c2 aswell,dont let it get to you and distract your from your other exams,
Original post by RhyaCeri

I did 2014 yesterday and I liked this year's more because I love algebra (cylinder was lovely lol) But I think 2014 was slightly easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 717
The radius was 5sqrt(2) = sqrt(50) which is rougly 7.07 which is larger than 7...
Original post by r-star
for the first question people got -12pi-max??
and for discriminant my quadratic was wrong because b was -5 and i got -x

for cubic i did POS cubic going through 0 and touching x axis

Sorry, I meant 3 and 2. My bad. Yeah, the equation had y=0 for both x=0 and x=3. So I assume both points must be labeled.

i think because they changed the wording of the questions in comparison to earlier years and for me i think it was because it was my first ever a level exam so :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending