The Student Room Group

chemistry unit 2 aqa thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oh, can someone explain half equations to me? I never know what side which things go on
Original post by Misora
What would the six mark question on salts be? Like I get that bit, but I don't know if I'd be able to answer a 6 mark question on it :s-smilie:

The experiment for Acid+Alkai or Acid+insolouble base,

maybe an insoluble salt experiment
Original post by SuperHuman98
I thought the Intermolecular forces were broken not the bonds. The Covalent bonds are very difficult to overcome?

yep i meant that i was typing quickly, generally i tend to call the intermolecular forces bonds because they do bond them together :/ and then i get b.o.d marks lol
Reply 43
The experiment for Acid+Alkai or Acid+insolouble base,

maybe an insoluble salt experiment

What's the experiment😱
You reckon we can just get away with a titration method and then crystallize with indicator removed for a soluble salts q? I would love a titration for C3 as well.... I think there will be a bit about Gas chromotogrophy, mass spectromatry- perhaps a question on molecular ion peaks as I have never seen it before. I don't think it's going to be as bad as biology- chemistry you either know it or you don't....
Reply 45
Have a go at these if you like Q1. Explain,as fully as you can, how aluminium and carbon dioxide are formed byelectrolysis. (6 marks)
Q2. Describe a method to make copper sulfate crystals from copper oxide and dilute sulfuric acid. (6 marks)
Q3. Describe a method for making crystals of potassium chloride from potassium hydroxide solution and hydrochloric acid. (6marks)
Q4. Describe a method for determining how the rate of reaction would change if concentration of acid were changed for the reaction of magnesium and hydrochloric acid. (6 marks)
Q5. Explain why copper, like many other metals, has a high melting point. Your answer should describe the structure and bonding of a metal. (4 marks)
Q6. Explain why graphite is softer than diamond andwhy graphite conducts electricity and diamond does not. (4 marks, 3 marks)
Q7. Write down everything that this diagram tells you about an ammonia molecule. (4 marks) Explain why methane has a lowboiling point. (2marks)
Q8 Describe the structure and bonding in a thermosoftening polymer and explain why thermosoftening polymers melt when heated. (4 marks) Q9.Describe, as fully as you can, what happens when magnesium reacts with iodine to make magnesium iodide. (4 marks)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Misora
What's the experiment😱

its how you make a salt and its preety much the same

so for Acid+Alkali------> Salt+ water

you have a beaker of the alkali with universal indicator you then add drops of the acid, until it becomes green (neutralaisation). You record how much drops of acid you needed, You repeat this but without the universal indicator. You add the correct amount of acid. Then heat the solution in an evaporating dish using a bunsen burner. You then leave it for a few days to crystalize.

Its the same for insoluble base but, you dont have any indicator. You just keep adding insoluble base to the acid in a beaker until you can see that it isnt reacting anymore (see bits of the insoluble base at the bottom). So you filter it then heat the solution
Original post by sedil
Have a go at these if you like Q1. Explain,as fully as you can, how aluminium and carbon dioxide are formed byelectrolysis. (6 marks)
Q2. Describe a method to make copper sulfate crystals from copper oxide and dilute sulfuric acid. (6 marks)
Q3. Describe a method for making crystals of potassium chloride from potassium hydroxide solution and hydrochloric acid. (6marks)
Q4. Describe a method for determining how the rate of reaction would change if concentration of acid were changed for the reaction of magnesium and hydrochloric acid. (6 marks)
Q5. Explain why copper, like many other metals, has a high melting point. Your answer should describe the structure and bonding of a metal. (4 marks)
Q6. Explain why graphite is softer than diamond andwhy graphite conducts electricity and diamond does not. (4 marks, 3 marks)
Q7. Write down everything that this diagram tells you about an ammonia molecule. (4 marks) Explain why methane has a lowboiling point. (2marks)
Q8 Describe the structure and bonding in a thermosoftening polymer and explain why thermosoftening polymers melt when heated. (4 marks) Q9.Describe, as fully as you can, what happens when magnesium reacts with iodine to make magnesium iodide. (4 marks)

thanks mate
Reply 48
I'm ready for this.! Previously 6 markers have alternated between the comparisons of given information, planning an investigation and comparing structure, so logically we should have a comparison of given information looking at the previous two papers.
Original post by Misora
What would the six mark question on salts be? Like I get that bit, but I don't know if I'd be able to answer a 6 mark question on it :s-smilie:

likely a practical on how to crystallise or to obtain and filtrate the salt
Reply 50
Original post by AbbieL
I'm ready for this.! Previously 6 markers have alternated between the comparisons of given information, planning an investigation and comparing structure, so logically we should have a comparison of given information looking at the previous two papers.

Comparisons of giving information? Hours of revision appears to have frazzled my brain. Please can you give me an example?
what would Q2 be?
Original post by Helfus
Comparisons of giving information? Hours of revision appears to have frazzled my brain. Please can you give me an example?

comparisons between two types of catalysts/ fuels/ products, they give u information about it , its a free 6 marks , no knowledge required
Reply 53
Original post by Terrydaktal
comparisons between two types of catalysts/ fuels/ products, they give u information about it , its a free 6 marks , no knowledge required

Oooh lets hope so then
Reply 54
Original post by Terrydaktal

I hope so. But, then again, I go into exams without and common sense because I assume if the answers are easy, then it's bound to be incorrect. :ottid:
thanks mate
Q2?
Reply 56
Original post by Matt1278
Q2?

1.) Heat the sulfuric acid in a beaker and add the copper oxide with stirring
2.) Because heating and stirring speed up the reaction
3.) Until the copper oxide is in excess
4.) Which means that the reaction has gone to completion
5.) Filter the mixture or pour the mixture through a funnel and filter paper or leave the mixture to stand and decant / pour off the excess liquid
6.) To remove the excess / unreacted copper oxide put the solution in an evaporating basin. heat it gently so that (some of) the water evaporates
7.) When a saturated solution is formed or when crystals start to form, stop heating
8.) Leave the solution to cool so that crystallisation can occur.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is Metallic Bonding in the foundation tier?
Reply 58
Original post by GeorgeJ14
Is Metallic Bonding in the foundation tier?

It's should be in both
Original post by AriAmaY
I hope so. But, then again, I go into exams without and common sense because I assume if the answers are easy, then it's bound to be incorrect. :ottid:

i cant wait until the english papers :tongue:, gonna try for 3 caps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending