The Student Room Group

Great revision tips for last minute revision!

Hi everyone

We are at that time again where many are stressed about exams and are looking for any possible solution to get revision done. Perhaps you may have started revision late and regret that. Don't worry, if you live life in regret believing its too late and you are going to fail, you will start giving up and effort will decrease dramatically. Always think positive!

These are some tips which I found really useful:

-Firstly, and very importantly, DON'T STRESS, take deep breaths, stay calm and say "I can do this"
-Use a method which YOU find most helpful. E.g. if you love art, draw pictures to illustrate different things, break down a big paragraph into interlinking pictures.
-Most common one, make flash cards, they are so useful when you put the right things down.
-Condense everything. Place words that act as triggers. For example, in Biology, Mitochondria convert energy from the break down of glucose into ATP. I would just write "convert G 2 ATP". It rhymes and makes it easier to remember.
-Once you have finished revision, clear everything from your desk, just like on exam day, you will only have your question paper. Get a blank sheet of paper and write down everything you can remember on that subject, even if its just a keyword, ANYTHING, write it down. Then extend your points as much as possible and go back to see what you have missed out or what you are unsure of. Repeat this until you can do it so fast.
-Don't stick to one subject for too long unless you know it helps you, do sections of different subjects so that you don't get bored and you have variation. This also helps you to get information out quickly, you may have more than one exam on a day.
-Eat healthy, foods like salmon and walnuts are known as 'brain foods' as they are so good in helping your brain function by having the essential fats such as Omega 3. Don't skip food, it will affect your concentration and effort.
-Jog for at least 5 minutes, get your blood pumping, make sure you are fully awake.
-when you loose motivation, write down a list of things why you want this so bad, why do you want to go to Uni or get a job? Get a car? Be independent? Make a difference? I know most of this generation is on about Life goals. Get them! Work hard as much as you want them. But work smartly and efficiently, not relentlessly and unproductive.
-Gather a group of friends, even your parents and have a discussion on the subject or give a presentation. You can even talk to your pets about it if you have any. As long as it stays in your memory!
-PRACTICE PAST QUESTIONS! I cannot stress how important this is, write down a question from an exam paper, bullet point the answers from the mark scheme at the back and learn them, then test yourself. Examiners are not bothered to make up an entirely new paper, they mostly reword from previous ones.

Now I will condense this to show you what I mean:
-"I can do this"
- Method. Pictures?
- Flashcards
-Condense=triggers
-Blank page. Points --> Extend--->Check--->Repeat
-subjects=Variation!
-Brain + Healthy food!
-Blood pumping
-GOALS
-Present & Chat
-PP! Q+A=Learn!

This is just how I would condense this, it varies with different people. I really hope this helps and I hope you all get the grades you want Remember, Dream limitless, Work hard and efficient and you will get there YOU CAN!
Reply 1
Thank you for this
Reply 2
Original post by hibaj
Thank you for this

You're most welcome :smile:
All my exams start from 2nd June, i started past papers today (outside class) but i still need to revise the content for my last chem unit and especially big chunks of my last bio unit. I need to get at least AAB in sha allah, But i feel like i've left it all too late :frown: Have you done your alvls? What did you study?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bakedbeans247
All my exams start from 2nd June, i started past papers today (outside class) but i still need to revise the content for my last chem unit and especially big chunks of my last bio unit. I need to get at least AAB in sha allah, But i feel like i've left it all too late :frown: Have you done your alvls? What did you study?

Don't worry, In Shaa Allah you will do fine :smile: I have As Level exams starting tomorrow, Im studying Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Philosophy. The one thing I can advise you is to go over many past papers because they tend to repeat from previous ones and learn how they put the answers in the mark scheme, especially recent ones. Also, discuss it with fellow students and make flash cards. Only include the relevant parts from big paragraphs. Keywords are very important, try to learn many and understand them. What exam board are you on?

Duaa also works too :smile:

Revise
Reply 6

Mine too. I have chem resit on the 2nd which I've barely revised for and done no past papers for. Same with the rest of the exams. I do biology and chemistry ocr.
++++I would be revising but i have so much photography coursework I am also stressed about.
Anyway, at this point you shouldn't worry too much about your target grades and just try to do your best from now. You have time (or that what I keep telling myself anyway :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending