The Student Room Group

self harm scars in stores with t shirts

so ive applied for sports direct because i desperatly need a job, only realising after my mate wears a short sleeved shirt and i have self harm scars all down my arm,
and they're bad
well bad i mean theres just a bunch of straight red lines all down my wrist

will i be able to wear a thermal under my shirt if i get a job? id rather look stupid than broadcast i hurt myself to stop pain.

makes me sick knowing im off on holiday in less than a month too

and will the scars effect my chances of getting a job in the first place
Original post by Jory

The scars wont affect you getting the job. If the uniform is a t-shirt, then there will be something in place for people that need to wear long sleeves for religious reasons, to hide tattoos etc. On day 1 in the job, explain to your manager you need to wear long sleeves, no need to mention it before then and it shouldn't be an issue.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
The scars wont affect you getting the job. If the uniform is a t-shirt, then there will be something in place for people that need to wear long sleeves for religious reasons, to hide tattoos etc. On day 1 in the job, explain to your manager you need to wear long sleeves, no need to mention it before then and it shouldn't be an issue.

Okay thank you, what should i say? what religious reason would i have to say
Original post by Jory
Okay thank you, what should i say? what religious reason would i have to say

You just say 'I need to wear a long sleeved top, I have marks on my arms it's not appropriate to show to customers'.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
You just say 'I need to wear a long sleeved top, I have marks on my arms it's not appropriate to show to customers'.

Okay thank you, im really ashamed and embarrased of the scars and really dont want them to be shown
Original post by Jory
Okay thank you, im really ashamed and embarrased of the scars and really dont want them to be shown

Well, they are 'only' the external expression of other problems, which many people understand. But look at it from the perspective of the employer, it isn't something they are likely to want customers wondering/worrying about, so if you didn't want to cover up, they'd probably ask you to anyway.
Reply 6
You'll be fine just tell them that you wish to wear long sleeves etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending