The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) C1 - Wednesday 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

I put -6x-+8y+29=0 for the line question, would I still get the marks?

Original post by Monklump
Was the answer to that not 1/12 or something?
Because you differentiate to get -1/3x^-2/3
And then you sub the value of x in which was 8? I don't remember. And that's 8^2/3= cubed root of 8^2=4 and then -1/3 divided by 4

x was -8, and differentiating it you get x to the minus 4/3
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jamesplay73
I put -6x-+8y+29=0 for the line question, would I still get the marks?

yes as it is the same as 6x-8y-29=0 :smile:
Original post by exoticmedgirl_2017
I did that too 😩😩😩😩 -2 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

-2?!

So many marks for such a little error... :frown:

rip 100 UMS
Original post by AstroNandos
-2?!

So many marks for such a little error... :frown:

rip 100 UMS

i did remember to, but i feel like they should remind you by saying like 'fine the x and y values of these two equations' or something idk
Original post by chloe-jessica
Volumes of revolution are my absolute worst enemy. I think I'm improving though, slowly but surely. Still a month until the exam so I've just brushed C3 off to the side now. And you're giving me calculator envy here. Mine's the pretty basic one, only discovered it has a modulus button a few days ago ngl. Not that it's really much use anyway... My friends and I were looking into buying a pretty snazzy one but we couldn't get it verified that it's allowed in time for the exams, so that idea's gone down the drain.

Haha dw I don't even know how to use half the functions on my thing yet, I only discovered the matrices and complex numbers thing a couple of weeks ago otherwise I was getting absolutely murdered by the stupid mistakes. C3 though fml... you have so much time after half-term to really focus on C3 so probably shouldn't worry too much on that yet. FP1 I had to spend hours over Easter getting right and now it's so much easier. Before I literally was just guessing answers and it'd be a 50/50 chance of right or not, it was ridiculous.

Anything goes in terms of calculators though, it even says at the front 'scientific and graphing calculators are allowed' and lets be honest, no one's gonna check are they?
Has anyone got the actual paper?
Original post by Madhutty
Both; you should have this anyway if you got 40, unless you guessed 40 and wrote nothing else!

Oh right, I did write out most of my workings, as I did the paper twice first on rough paper then again in the booklet, so I wrote out the lengths I was using to calculate the area of the triangle.

Thanks Again.
Original post by jackpethick
Has anyone got the actual paper?

Apparently Mr M is going to release an unofficial mark scheme tomorrow, the questions will come with that.
Original post by exoticmedgirl_2017
any grade boundary predictions?

70 ums - 55/56
80 ums - 62
90 ums - 67/68
100 ums - 72
I'm doubtful that the questions will come with that. I'm not sure that he's allowed to release the questions.
Original post by nurav11
I'm very lucky cos I should normally do C3 this year aswell but because I want to study medicine, some medical schools don't like modules being taken early (no idea why but I'm not complaining :tongue:) and as it's A2, I had to pull out. C3 trig and volumes of revolution tho are so hard... FP1, I'm feeling reasonably confident for, providing the paper is fair. If it ends up being tricky then it could become damage limitation time lol.

Yeh it is really lucky :colondollar:, it's not even a graphic one aswell, just an average Casio with some pretty nifty modes (it even has complex number functions). Won't try and make you too jealous tho haha

FX-991ES PLUS? It's a life saver, I'm just praying tomorrow's FP1 paper is similar to the Jan 13 paper, that was beautiful.
Reply 592
Original post by nurav11
Haha dw I don't even know how to use half the functions on my thing yet, I only discovered the matrices and complex numbers thing a couple of weeks ago otherwise I was getting absolutely murdered by the stupid mistakes. C3 though fml... you have so much time after half-term to really focus on C3 so probably shouldn't worry too much on that yet. FP1 I had to spend hours over Easter getting right and now it's so much easier. Before I literally was just guessing answers and it'd be a 50/50 chance of right or not, it was ridiculous.

Anything goes in terms of calculators though, it even says at the front 'scientific and graphing calculators are allowed' and lets be honest, no one's gonna check are they?

I never thought I'd say this but FP1 can be sort of rewarding when everything finally starts to make sense. Probably won't be saying that after the exam tomorrow, but for now at least. I wish I had the guts to just take this other calculator in but I'm too paranoid.
Reply 593
How many marks would I lose for not multiplying the line by the fraction?
Original post by sjsj98

I'd like to know this too please >,>
Original post by rich1334
FX-991ES PLUS? It's a life saver, I'm just praying tomorrow's FP1 paper is similar to the Jan 13 paper, that was beautiful.

Yup exactly that, it's such a nice easy calculator to use. Had it since year 5 as well so it's trusted now :tongue:. I'm really hoping for a matrices induction Q and easy roots stuff. They'll make or break how well I do really. Btw June 09 had 49 as the A boundary but it really wasn't that challenging... Very strange

I never thought I'd say this but FP1 can be sort of rewarding when everything finally starts to make sense. Probably won't be saying that after the exam tomorrow, but for now at least. I wish I had the guts to just take this other calculator in but I'm too paranoid.

100% agree, there's a satisfaction about getting a summing series question right or an induction question right, especially if it's a nice and long 7 marker.

Take it in! Honestly no one is going to say a thing, I know someone who's walking in with a huge graphic calculator that has a home screen... It's basically a computer. They are definitely allowed. The only thing that's not allowed is if it can do indefinite integration but that doesn't even apply to FP1 so you're fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sjsj98

Well if it means the line isn't in integer form then I guess you'd lose the answer marks so perhaps 2? (Not sure which question you're talking about though :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did people get as the answer for the final part on the final question? I believe I got 30 units^2.
Original post by nurav11
Yup exactly that, it's such a nice easy calculator to use. Had it since year 5 as well so it's trusted now :tongue:. I'm really hoping for a matrices induction Q and easy roots stuff. They'll make or break how well I do really. Btw June 09 had 49 as the A boundary but it really wasn't that challenging... Very strange

100% agree, there's a satisfaction about getting a summing series question right or an induction question right, especially if it's a nice and long 7 marker.

Take it in! Honestly no one is going to say a thing, I know someone who's walking in with a huge graphic calculator that has a home screen... It's basically a computer. They are definitely allowed. The only thing that's not allowed is if it can do indefinite integration but that doesn't even apply to FP1 so you're fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm solid with the summing series stuff and induction (ignoring any awful divisibility ones). I don't particularly want any questions where you have to check if there are unique, infinite or no solutions, I somehow regularly screw up when trying to show the equations are consistent.

Anyway after last year's paper, it can only get better (right?)

Good luck to both of you!

Arrive early tomorrow morning and check with your exams officer/head of maths that it is OK to use. Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending