The Student Room Group

GCSE edexcel Chemistry-C1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GCSEStudent386
Hydrogen is not a readily available fuel as you must either react steam with a non-renewable energy resource, or use electrolysis to obtain it. Once you have got it, that is even more problematic; as it is a gas, it must be compressed and chilled before being stored, and actually may explode because it's highly flammable.

do you not have to just react it with Oxygen??
im so freaking nervous :frown: what are problems with polymers and any other clues as to what might come up...? :frown:
does anyone know possible questions they could ask on "5.16 Evaluate how far the correlation between global temperature and the proportion of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere provides evidence for climate change"
Original post by Dudeyoufugly
does anyone know possible questions they could ask on "5.16 Evaluate how far the correlation between global temperature and the proportion of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere provides evidence for climate change"

You'll probably be given a graph & asked to analyse it. There was a 3 marker a few years back that related human population to the outcomes depicted in the graph, and asked something along the lines of:

Suggest, using information from the graph, if the mean average temperature is a result of the increase in human population.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GCSEStudent386
You'll probably be given a graph & asked to analyse it. There was a 3 marker a few years back that related human population to the outcomes depicted in the graph, and asked something along the lines of:

Suggest, using information from the graph, if the mean average temperature is a result of the increase in human population.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, do you happen to know what the potential 6-markers on polymers could be?
thanks, do you happen to know what the potential 6-markers on polymers could be?

Im not sure but maybe it might be describe the uses of different polymers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Niall12345
Im not sure but maybe it might be describe the uses of different polymers

Original post by camillexx
im so freaking nervous :frown: what are problems with polymers and any other clues as to what might come up...? :frown:

Aw don't be nervous! I'm I the only person scarily relaxed? Ifind chemistry the easiest :tongue:

The problems with polymers are they are non biodegradable so they are not easily broken down my microorganisms if they are buried. And if they are buried, some polymers may leak toxic materials in the ground. So then you can burn them to dispose of them, but that's not a good idea because many produce toxic gases when they are burnt. some chemists are developing biodegradable polymers to combat this problem. These are mostly used in agriculture and break down in sunlight, and some contain starch so microorganisms can decompose them. The best way to dispose of polymers is to recycle them though even this requires the polymers to be seperated from each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _ariane29
Aw don't be nervous! I'm I the only person scarily relaxed? U find chemistry the easiest :tongue:

The problems with polymers are they are non biodegradable so they are not easily broken down my microorganisms if they are buried. And if they are buried, some polymers may leak toxic materials in the ground. So then you can burn them to dispose of them, but that's not a good idea because many produce toxic gases when they are burnt. some chemists are developing biodegradable polymers to combat this problem. These are mostly used in agriculture and break down in sunlight, and some contain starch so microorganisms can decompose them. The best way to dispose of polymers is to recycle them though even this requires the polymers to be seperated from each other.

thanks! good luckk
thanks! good luckk

And you too. Just relax! :tongue: You'll do fine
Can someone please explain to me the 6 mark question about crude oil fractions. PLEASE HELP
(edited 8 years ago)
I hate polymers that's the only part of c1 I struggle on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, the spec mentions "5.14 Demonstrate an understanding that the Earth’s temperature varies and that human activity may influence this" would this be due to combustion of fossil fuels and deforestation??

Deforestation wont affect the temp of the earth, burning forests will to create land will.
Original post by GCSEStudent365
Can someone please explain to me the 6 mark question about polymerisation and the 6 mark question on crude oil fractions. PLEASE HELP

Crude Oil Fractions:
I assume you'd simply list them (preferably in order, from least number of hydrocarbon chains to the most/lowest to highest boiling point/ most viscous to least) and describe their uses ...
Gases (LPG) - cooking & heating
Petrol - fuel in vehicles
Naptha - used as a lighter fuel, and also used in the chemical industry
Kerosene - jet fuel
Diesel - fuels in trains and lorries
Fuel Oil - used as a fuel in large ships and power stations
Bitumen - used to surface roofs/ make roads
Original post by metaphorical
I hate polymers that's the only part of c1 I struggle on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you struggle with, polymerisation, uses of polymers?
Advantage for Hydrogen Fuel
- They do not release harmful energy as water isnt harmful also hydrogen is a clean fuel
- It isnt polluting
- It is renewable
Disadvantage for Hydrogen Fuel
- There isnt a lot of gas stations that produces hyrdrogen fuel
- It is expensive as the extraction method is expensive
- It isnt safe as it is flammable
- It is hard to store as it has to be stored in containers under high pressure

Advantages for Bio fuels:
- It is renewable so we could constantly utilise it
- It is less polluting and carbon neutral as the gasses produced from making it is reabsorbed by the (biofuel) plants for photosynthesis

Disadvantage for Bio fuels:
- It uses a lot of land meaning they have to cut crops which could increase the prices of the food and there would be a shortage of food, also for making the sites deforestation could occur in order to make these sites
- It is not efficient as you need a lot of biofuels for it to be effective
- There are not a lot of gas stations where biofuels could be produced

Problems with polymers:
- Its non biodegradable meaning they dont get broken down by microorganims so they wont rot meaning they would last for a long time
- Also if you burn polymers/plastic it is toxic and could cause many environmental problems

How could we sort this out:

Make it biodegradable so it could rot quicker
Recycle and Reuse polymers

HAVENT DONE CORE CHEMISTRY IN 1 YEAR IS THIS CORRECT!!^ :biggrin:
Reply 56
What happens to haemoglobin in presence of carbon dioxide?
Original post by Ash Kay
What happens to haemoglobin in presence of carbon dioxide?

Nothing, carbon dioxide is carried by the plasma in blood not the red blood cells
Original post by asapsimeon
Crude Oil Fractions:
I assume you'd simply list them (preferably in order, from least number of hydrocarbon chains to the most/lowest to highest boiling point/ most viscous to least) and describe their uses ...
Gases (LPG) - cooking & heating
Petrol - fuel in vehicles
Naptha - used as a lighter fuel, and also used in the chemical industry
Kerosene - jet fuel
Diesel - fuels in trains and lorries
Fuel Oil - used as a fuel in large ships and power stations
Bitumen - used to surface roofs/ make roads

We made up the mnemonic 'Good Pet Newts Keep Dancing For Biscuits' to remember the fractions
Still not as good as B1's 'Kevin, Please Come Over For Gay Sex'
Original post by natrium
C1 exam tomorrow, any predictions for 6 mark questions????

How was everybody's exam? Reckon it was a piece of cake. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest