The Student Room Group

AQA maths core 1, 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Wait, do I have to state "critical values are 4 and -9/4"? I just did the factorising and sign diagram them -9/4<k<4
Do i lose a mark for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 741
For the area of shaded region question this is what I got:

area of trapezium= 54

area under curve= 108/5

area of shaded region= 54-108/5 = 162/5

compare answers please
Original post by C0balt
Wait, do I have to state "critical values are 4 and -9/4"? I just did the factorising and sign diagram them -9/4<k<4

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the majority of mark schemes, it says "Take their final line as their complete answer" i.e. your inequality. I presume this years will be the same so you should be fine if you got the final inequality right.
Original post by KB_97
For the area of shaded region question this is what I got:

area of trapezium= 54

area under curve= 108/5

area of shaded region= 54-108/5 = 162/5

compare answers please

That's what I got

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah agreed, Questions 1-5, 7 were great, quite a few things in there to catch you out but overall quite a reasonable paper. I only answered the differentiation part of Q6, couldn't work out the expression
Original post by 2014_GCSE
In the majority of mark schemes, it says "Take their final line as their complete answer" i.e. your inequality. I presume this years will be the same so you should be fine if you got the final inequality right.

Thank god this freaked me out lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 746
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends how many marks it was worth. I think it was 4 marks. Did you label your critical values on your graph because you might get a mark for that if you haven't stated them anywhere else. You should also get a mark for factorising so it's best to show all working
Original post by KB_97
Depends how many marks it was worth. I think it was 4 marks. Did you label your critical values on your graph because you might get a mark for that if you haven't stated them anywhere else. You should also get a mark for factorising so it's best to show all working

This is exactly what I wrote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Thank god this freaked me out lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, don't worry, I've definitely seen that C.V thing a lot, but they definitely don't mind giving you full marks as long as you got your final inequality right.
Original post by SaadMuhammad
Did anyone get k = 8 or -8 for the last question on solving inequalities?

In the final question? I got k= 4 and k= -9/4 or something similar I think.
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Yeah, don't worry, I've definitely seen that C.V thing a lot, but they definitely don't mind giving you full marks as long as you got your final inequality right.

Phew
Still one mark and should give me 100UMS anyway seeing how much flak this cylinder is getting lol Thank god :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 751
For the question where you had to draw the graph of y=x^2(x-3) did you guys get an N shaped graph crossing y axis at 0 and crossing x axis at 3 and 0 ??
Original post by KB_97
For the question where you had to draw the graph of y=x^2(x-3) did you guys get an N shaped graph crossing y axis at 0 and crossing x axis at 3 and 0 ??

Yes the stationary point was at (0,0) and crossed at (3,0)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 753
Original post by C0balt
This is exactly what I wrote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. You're fine. Don't think you're missing anything. Well done! Hope someone puts up and unofficial mark scheme soon
Original post by KB_97
Yup. You're fine. Don't think you're missing anything. Well done! Hope someone puts up and unofficial mark scheme soon

Great
It already exists
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3323079
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 755
Original post by C0balt
Phew
Still one mark and should give me 100UMS anyway seeing how much flak this cylinder is getting lol Thank god :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not gonna lie that question threw me off a little bit but you just had to stay calm. And the format of the question was good so even if you guessed half of it (which I did) you could tell if you were doing it right or not bc if u were u would get to the final answer they stated.
Reply 756
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KB_97
Not gonna lie that question threw me off a little bit but you just had to stay calm. And the format of the question was good so even if you guessed half of it (which I did) you could tell if you were doing it right or not bc if u were u would get to the final answer they stated.

Yeah I think so
I personally liked the cylinder question haha I love those algebraic ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any predictions on what mark will be required for 100 UMS?
Original post by catalyst_777
Any predictions on what mark will be required for 100 UMS?

73 is my guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply