The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 2 Education and Research Methods Forum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prina_R
What are your predictions for unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now for this exam, I honestly don't know as I haven't really been revising for it in depth but I'm starting now :smile:

What do you think will come up?
Reply 21
Original post by jemimahxo
Now for this exam, I honestly don't know as I haven't really been revising for it in depth but I'm starting now :smile:

What do you think will come up?

Haven't looked at it in ages 🙈 maybe policies and new right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Guffguff
My teacher predicted the 20 mark for education as assess the view that material deprivation is the main cause of differences in educational achievement between social groups
And she also predicted the research methods 20 marks as
Why do sociology a prefer different sampling types

Do you know how you'd answer the education 20 marker?

Would it be:

Intro - define material dep
Para 1 - diet and health
Para 2 - housing
Para 3 - cultural dep
Para 4 - cultural capital?
Conclusion - ?
Original post by Prina_R
Haven't looked at it in ages 🙈 maybe policies and new right

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah many are saying those two !
I'm just going to try and revise everything but looking at past papers gender has come up a lot
Reply 24
My teacher too has predicted something on Social Policy, who knows
I'm more worried about the methods in context, I'm really bad at thinking on my feet
Reply 25
(Original post by Guffguff)My teacher predicted the 20 mark for education as assess the view that material deprivation is the main cause of differences in educational achievement between social

Original post by anzyy

Would it be:

Para 1 - diet and health
Para 2 - housing
Para 3 - cultural dep
Conclusion - ?

For the samples question would just talk about a variety of different samples like questionnaires,interviews and talk about PERVERT - practical, ethical, reliability,validity,representative and theoretical? Would you just conclude you they use different samples?
teacher has predicted social policy for the 20 marker- what content does this include though?

and for the 12 markers possibly social class or ethnicity
Reply 27
Original post by S_a16
(Original post by Guffguff)My teacher predicted the 20 mark for education as assess the view that material deprivation is the main cause of differences in educational achievement between social

For the samples question would just talk about a variety of different samples like questionnaires,interviews and talk about PERVERT - practical, ethical, reliability,validity,representative and theoretical? Would you just conclude you they use different samples?

I don't even know myself. I think you'd talk about samples like stratified sampling, random sampling etc and then maybe use the pervert structure when talking about them?
Reply 28
Do you think the RM question could be a positivist vs interpretivist debate q?
Reply 29
Original post by anzyy

Would it be:

Para 1 - diet and health
Para 2 - housing
Para 3 - cultural dep
Conclusion - ?

and material deprivation and you should include sociologists studies for each point the date of the study is also useful
Social policies then again we had that for unit 1 so maybenot, 12 marker possibly subject choice and 20 marker is going to hace something to do with material/cultural deprivation
Original post by anzyy
Do you think the RM question could be a positivist vs interpretivist debate q?

I dont think so....the only time positivist and interpretivists will make an appearance on my paper is at the end of me essays in my conclusion, i dont think they'll make an entire question about them
Reply 32
I was really worried after I finished the exam as I only wrote 2 pages for my first essay and 1 for my second because I knew my time had run out and had to conclude!! I had good points but didnt get to proof read and have no idea if my answers were coherent!! Any help???
Original post by eb100
I was really worried after I finished the exam as I only wrote 2 pages for my first essay and 1 for my second because I knew my time had run out and had to conclude!! I had good points but didnt get to proof read and have no idea if my answers were coherent!! Any help???

what did you cover in each answer? can you remember?
Reply 34
I think gender will be probably come as it came up every other year, policy and ethnicity more likely to come up as well. 1 week from tommr 😭😭
I want to cry.
hey guys I thought families and households went well my teacher as predicted labelling, Marxism ,Policies ,class Material Deprivation and Cultural deprivation for Education

for Methods -
MIC- Documents, experiments, observation
Freestanding methods- Statistics, documents, experiments and interviews

any chance anyone else has heard any others or the same
Reply 37
Original post by S_a16
I think gender will be probably come as it came up every other year, policy and ethnicity more likely to come up as well. 1 week from tommr ������������

I agree with gender. They have asked everything for gender apart from boys and achievement
Reply 38
where can i find any good resources and revision notes for education?
Reply 39
Original post by nayana71
I dont think so....the only time positivist and interpretivists will make an appearance on my paper is at the end of me essays in my conclusion, i dont think they'll make an entire question about them

Firstly that sounds like a good way to conclude RM essays. How do you tend to write the conclusion?

Secondly my teachers said they can ask 1 of 3 types of questions:
They can ask about a specific method (like the normal ones on interviews etc),
They can ask questions on practical, ethical or theoretical issues (which would be beautiful but they've asked all 3 already)
And they could ask for a positivist vs interpretivist debate. It is possible but the way to answer it would be difficult.

Original post by nayana71
Social policies then again we had that for unit 1 so maybenot, 12 marker possibly subject choice and 20 marker is going to hace something to do with material/cultural deprivation

They asked about policies in both family and education papers in 2010 which was also the time of the last election. Coincidence or what hmm.

That makes me think it's likely for it to come up for both family and education this year, especially since it's been 5 years.

I'd love those questions that you predicted :adore:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending