The Student Room Group

AQA maths core 1, 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

I really enjoyed the paper. I found it easy.

I momentarily got stuck on the shortest distance between the chord and the centre, but then it came to me.

I drew the cubic the wrong way round stupidly. I realised as soon as I came out of the exam.

The cylinder one, I hadn't read the bit where it said open top, but from memory I still got it right. I guess my brain self corrected me.

I feel confident I got an A.
Original post by chanda01
what were the values for the trapezium?? I remember a+b was 36... what was the height? 6?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Height was 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2014_GCSE
I knew the equation of circumference, not the surface area equation.

LOL because i knew it and i still couldnt do the question
if my critical values were wrong but i still drew a sign diagram, labelling it with my CVs and reaching an inequality of p < x < q, would i get a single mark, or lose them completely?

also how many marks can i lose for adding up the integration incorrectly and reaching 107/5 for the first part and subsequently 54-107/5=163/5 for the second bit? do i get penalised twice? thank you
image.jpg
Original post by tanyapotter
if my critical values were wrong but i still drew a sign diagram, labelling it with my CVs and reaching an inequality of p < x < q, would i get a single mark, or lose them completely?

also how many marks can i lose for adding up the integration incorrectly and reaching 107/5 for the first part and subsequently 54-107/5=163/5 for the second bit? do i get penalised twice? thank you

Might get one for diagram

Pretty sure you will get ecf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

so for ecf, would i lose no marks in the 3 marker with the trapezium? because i didn't actually get the correct answer D:
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

image.jpg

this was what it said in the june 2014 mark scheme which led me to believe that i could s scavenge a mark out of that last question - but i've only seen this disclaimer come up in last year's paper and never before - do you think it applies with this question too?

this question seems to apply that you factorised correctly but then got the CVs wrong - i couldn't factorise it in the first place. do you think it could still apply to me? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
so for ecf, would i lose no marks in the 3 marker with the trapezium? because i didn't actually get the correct answer D:

It will be like this so you could get two if you're lucky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 769
Original post by InaneRambler
I believe it was 24-3pi/2(r) (same thing as you). Differentiation will get rid of the r, but it will not make it nor pi 0. There will probably be 2 method marks (M1 and M2), a B1 or an independent method mark m1 and then an answer mark A1.

made a mistake dere i actually got 24-3pir

24-6pir/2
24-3pir
Original post by C0balt
It will be like this so you could get two if you're lucky

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, i'll hopefully get the two marks because i got the area of the trapezium (54?) and took away "my" 108/5 so hopefully i've only lost the one mark for the final answer
fingers crossed! i hope examiners take care with their marking and actually look at method marks - i'm relying on them so much to get 68/75!!
any predictions for all the grade boundaries??
Reply 772
Original post by A_Levels
any predictions for all the grade boundaries??

should be about 58-60
but this was the most difficult, challrnging and hardest core 1 paper ever
so grade bounds should be lowered further to about 56-57
Can someone do me a really rough sketch for 7)a)?

The question was to sketch the curve and it was cubic, although my curve only crossed the coordinate axis at the origin, and was shaped like a boomerang. Feel like I've butchered that one.

Any idea how many marks would be awarded for atleast crossing at the origin?
Original post by SeanHarvey
Can someone do me a really rough sketch for 7)a)?

The question was to sketch the curve and it was cubic, although my curve only crossed the coordinate axis at the origin, and was shaped like a boomerang. Feel like I've butchered that one.

Any idea how many marks would be awarded for atleast crossing at the origin?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431552116.775175.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-star
made a mistake dere i actually got 24-3pir

24-6pir/2
24-3pir

Yeha, sorry. Thats what I meant too!
image.jpg

this was from the june 2014 paper - does anyone know if the last bit would apply to me? i got the wrong critical values in the last question of this year's paper but i did a small sign diagram with my CVs labelled - i should get M1 for the method right?
Original post by r-star
should be about 58-60
but this was the most difficult, challrnging and hardest core 1 paper ever
so grade bounds should be lowered further to about 56-57

ahhh thats good thanks :smile: i should be alright then. fingers crossed for the next ones.

does everyone kind of agree with those numbers??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 778
To be honest the exam was really easy and it wasn't 'the hardest of all time' ... coming from someone who was resetting I can honestly say that this exam was a breeze with just a less common question (cylinder) included. The grade boundaries should be high 62/63 = 80Ums... Last years paper was easy too but I messed up because I never revised (last year). The exams may seem harder because they no longer spoon feed us by saying "find this ..." instead people have to use their brains to work out what is needed and then how to do it. If you haven't done well there is no harm in resetting in Y13 its a doodle now :smile:
Original post by amberzak
I really enjoyed the paper. I found it easy.

I momentarily got stuck on the shortest distance between the chord and the centre, but then it came to me.

I drew the cubic the wrong way round stupidly. I realised as soon as I came out of the exam.

The cylinder one, I hadn't read the bit where it said open top, but from memory I still got it right. I guess my brain self corrected me.

I feel confident I got an A.

Alright alright get over yourself lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending