The Student Room Group

Good enough for Law?

Hi, I'm aspiring to do law at Uni and i was wondering if these A levels were good enough to face competition with someone who was doing all essay based subjects and maths..? Would university mind if i do these a levels? I cant do maths as i really don't enjoy it and I'm not too interested in history either otherwise what a levels would you suggest if you think the ones below might not be good enough?

Biology
Geography
English Lit

All useful advice and useful comments appreciated. :smile:
Most Universities don't care what subjects you do, just as long as you get the grades.
Original post by stemmery
Most Universities don't care what subjects you do, just as long as you get the grades.

So if i did all science a level and got the marks they still wouldnt mind and id face competition?
Original post by anxiousbunny
So if i did all science a level and got the marks they still wouldnt mind and id face competition?

Yeah if you look at the entry requirements on the websites, most don't specify what subjects you have to do. There are people who do all science, there are those who do all humanities etc etc.
Reply 4
Hi, I'm aspiring to do law at Uni and i was wondering if these A levels were good enough to face competition with someone who was doing all essay based subjects and maths..? Would university mind if i do these a levels? I cant do maths as i really don't enjoy it and I'm not too interested in history either otherwise what a levels would you suggest if you think the ones below might not be good enough?

Biology
Geography
English Lit

I want to study Law at University as well, my subjects consist of English and Sociology.I don't think uni's will mind if you do those subjects you've mentioned for A levels.As long as you achieve the grades they are looking for, you will get in.You simply need a good interest around Law, to be able to study it in Uni.Maths isn't essential for it and neither is History I don't think.
Reply 5
Original post by Sk24
I want to study Law at University as well, my subjects consist of English and Sociology.I don't think uni's will mind if you do those subjects you've mentioned for A levels.As long as you achieve the grades they are looking for, you will get in.You simply need a good interest around Law, to be able to study it in Uni.Maths isn't essential for it and neither is History I don't think.

Some advice from someone who has been accepted by a top law school.
- what subjects you take do determine what Law school will except you generally speaking. For a RG it is more selective, and it would be wrong to suggest Sociology is given equal weighting to someone who's taken English Literature all other things equal.
- Take at least two traditional subjects, preferably three for A level - Trinity Cambridge provide a good list, although this was 2 years ago so i'm unsure if its still there.
- Take at least one essay writing subject (the reality is that good universities want to know you can demonstrate competence in essay writing)
Original post by 105263
Some advice from someone who has been accepted by a top law school.
- what subjects you take do determine what Law school will except you generally speaking. For a RG it is more selective, and it would be wrong to suggest Sociology is given equal weighting to someone who's taken English Literature all other things equal.
- Take at least two traditional subjects, preferably three for A level - Trinity Cambridge provide a good list, although this was 2 years ago so i'm unsure if its still there.
- Take at least one essay writing subject (the reality is that good universities want to know you can demonstrate competence in essay writing)

Bull****. I did Sociology and I went to a RG Uni. I know a LOT of people who did a range of subject and go to RG unis. I also know people who did Btec and are at Top 20 Law Schools. Please don't give out false advice.
Reply 7
Bull****. I did Sociology and I went to a RG Uni. I know a LOT of people who did a range of subject and go to RG unis. I also know people who did Btec and are at Top 20 Law Schools. Please don't give out false advice.

I never referred to 'RG Uni's'. I did mention studying Law at an RG Uni which is one of the most competitive courses to gain entry into, or do you think all subjects have an equal number of applicants where the best Law schools are undersubscribed?

The fact of the matter is that taking Sociology is fine. I never disputed it. Taking a majority of non-traditional subjects is not fine and you would struggle to get into a top university for such an in demand subject. I think this is good advice, its saved these kids time asking about it on open days. :smile:
Original post by 105263
I never referred to 'RG Uni's'. I did mention studying Law at an RG Uni which is one of the most competitive courses to gain entry into, or do you think all subjects have an equal number of applicants where the best Law schools are undersubscribed?

The fact of the matter is that taking Sociology is fine. I never disputed it. Taking a majority of non-traditional subjects is not fine and you would struggle to get into a top university for such an in demand subject. I think this is good advice, its saved these kids time asking about it on open days. :smile:

Yeah NO, I was talking about LAW at RG UNIS. That's what I meant. Obviously. Why would I talk about other subjects on a thread that is clearly about LAW? :laugh:

It's ridiculous advice. I did non-traditional subjects (whatever the hell they are) and got into a Top 5 Law School. I know a LOT of people who did all non-traditional subjects and also got into top Law Schools, pretty easily actually. It's so easy to get into Law at University these days. There are even TONS of spaces through clearing at RG unis for Law.

It's terrible advice, don't quit your day job.
Reply 9
Yeah NO, I was talking about LAW at RG UNIS. That's what I meant. Obviously. Why would I talk about other subjects on a thread that is clearly about LAW? :laugh:

It's ridiculous advice. I did non-traditional subjects (whatever the hell they are) and got into a Top 5 Law School. I know a LOT of people who did all non-traditional subjects and also got into top Law Schools, pretty easily actually. It's so easy to get into Law at University these days. There are even TONS of spaces through clearing at RG unis for Law.

It's terrible advice, don't quit your day job.

Bull****. I did Sociology and I went to a RG Uni. I know a LOT of people who did a range of subject and go to RG unis.
So your friends got into a range of universities but not for Law? Yes obviously you were talking about Law.

I'm also calling your bluff because of bitter you sound. I doubt you did. How many RG Unis are listed for Law on clearing? How many top 10 Unis are listed on clearing for Law? What's the average entry point of a Law student compared to the average grades attained at A level?

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and it's sad you would criticise sound advice because of your own personal bitterness.

Biology
Geography
English Lit

Tbh most unis want decent grades for law such as AAB or AAA and some give entirely off UCAS points.
Be warned that a law degree can be very dry and boring as they go into more detail than you need.
Possibly doing a subject you enjoy at uni then a conversion course is an option as it shows you have a wider range of interests and most law firms don't mind if you did a law degree or a conversion. They only want a 1st or a 2:1.
I'm planning on either doing a law exempt degree or a psychology degree with a law conversion.
Hope this helps
Original post by 105263
Bull****. I did Sociology and I went to a RG Uni. I know a LOT of people who did a range of subject and go to RG unis.
So your friends got into a range of universities but not for Law? Yes obviously you were talking about Law.

I'm also calling your bluff because of bitter you sound. I doubt you did. How many RG Unis are listed for Law on clearing? How many top 10 Unis are listed on clearing for Law? What's the average entry point of a Law student compared to the average grades attained at A level?

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and it's sad you would criticise sound advice because of your own personal bitterness.

Birmingham for one was in clearing last year. I can't pretend to know all of the Universities that were, but I know for a fact as a friend got into Bham for Law with clearing.

I meant they did a range of A-Level subjects and got into a RG Uni for LAW. Hence the point of this thread.... you know... what A-Level subjects are good for Law? No? I understand this is a difficult concept for you to grasp but I'm sure you'll get there eventually.

You'd be surprised how many RG Unis are listed for Law on clearing every year, extremely surprised. And just because people are in clearing, doesn't mean they didn't get good grades. If you apply to Cambridge and some other uni that requires A*AA or whatever, and you just get AAA then you may find yourself in clearing. Is AAA bad? No, I know people who got into Law with BBB or ABC or ABB and even Btec students. So don't bull**** to me about how difficult it is to get into Law because it isn't.

It's not 'sound' advice, it's pathetic advice from elitist people on here who think they know everything. I'm explaining that it's easy to get into Law no matter what subjects you have as long as you have the grades and/or good interview/personal statement. I've seen it first hand, I study with other Law students. I'm not just pulling stuff out my arse for the likes of you.

You think what I'm saying is crap? Fine. But I'm sure it'll help OP.

Quick Reply

Latest