The Student Room Group

How sexually liberated are you? Which of these categories do you fall into?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by BeDirectWomen
I have no idea why people still practice monogamy. Largely I think it's just down to people being socially conditioned to believe that a relationship must be monogamous other it's not a real relationship, which is bull**** of course. Human beings definitely aren't monogamous at the core, so trying to be monogamous is like fighting our own natural instincts. Monogamy doesn't work. I wrote a good post on here recently about why monogamy fails and the advantages of non-monogamy/open relationships.

Do you have any sort of proof at all that human beings aren't monogamous to the core? It sounds like you think that just because you do something it must be right. Trust me, my natural instincts want to be in a monogamous relationship, it really is as simple as that.

What's to say the only reason you don't want to be monogamous is because you think society will see you in the way you want to be seen because of it?
Reply 81
Original post by BobTheSinger
I'm still suprised theres still people in 2015 who practice old fashioned monogamy lol, everyone I know is in open relationships or polyamorous. Who are these people still practicing monogamy in 2015? :confused:

Judging by this thread and similar ones that you and others have started, seemingly a large portion of the TSR community still practise "old fashioned monogamy" as you so patronisingly put it. There's nothing old fashioned about it, loving someone will always be in fashion.
Original post by Dheorl
Do you have any sort of proof at all that human beings aren't monogamous to the core? It sounds like you think that just because you do something it must be right. Trust me, my natural instincts want to be in a monogamous relationship, it really is as simple as that.

What's to say the only reason you don't want to be monogamous is because you think society will see you in the way you want to be seen because of it?

Your best bet is to read my previous post 'In A World Of Failing Monogamy & Marriage, Are Open Relationships The Way Forward?'. I explain everything there. Other than that, google the subject for yourself, and read the book 'The myth of monogamy'.

I don't agree that your natural instincts are to be monogamous. Even when you're in a monogamous relationship, you are still attracted to other women. Case closed.
Reply 83
Your best bet is to read my previous post 'In A World Of Failing Monogamy & Marriage, Are Open Relationships The Way Forward?'. I explain everything there. Other than that, google the subject for yourself, and read the book 'The myth of monogamy'.

Fancy quoting it here so it's easy to reference? Or seeing as you seemingly know so much about it link to an article online that you specifically agree with because I doubt I'll agree with it and it would be helpful if you linked something specific so you could answer any questions there might be about it.

I don't agree that your natural instincts are to be monogamous. Even when you're in a monogamous relationship, you are still attracted to other women. Case closed.

I'm not though. I'll concede that I look at a woman and think "yea, she's good looking" but I'm not attracted to her. I really am naturally monogamous.
Original post by Dheorl
Fancy quoting it here so it's easy to reference? Or seeing as you seemingly know so much about it link to an article online that you specifically agree with because I doubt I'll agree with it and it would be helpful if you linked something specific so you could answer any questions there might be about it.

I'm not though. I'll concede that I look at a woman and think "yea, she's good looking" but I'm not attracted to her. I really am naturally monogamous.

I would post some links, but I don't think links are allowed in the 'relationships' forum. Correct me if I'm wrong. But search my posts for that post.
Reply 85
I would post some links, but I don't think links are allowed in the 'relationships' forum. Correct me if I'm wrong. But search my posts for that post.

Why not just make everything simpler and quote it here? If not actual links then maybe some specific article titles?
Why would you have an open relationship if you're weren't sexually adventurous? The whole point of open relationships is to keep them non-monogamous so you can sleep with other people if you want to.

'car keys in the fruit bowl ' wife swapping ... not necessarily adventurous especially by the standards of what people do in sexually focused play in the wider world of kink ..
Original post by ColouredTights
This is a stupid scale. I'd say that I am the most adventurous person I know, literally will try anything and talk about everything that I have done with anyone. However, I can't do casual sex- it just isn't for me and my personality. I don't think that that makes me prefer bland sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

which is why i said my my reply it;s multi dimension 'space'

with axes that could be labelled in combinations various ways

e.g.

- promiscuity
- kinkiness
- gender of partner flexibility
- likelihood of permanent effect
- risk / hazard
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
Judging by this thread and similar ones that you and others have started, seemingly a large portion of the TSR community still practise "old fashioned monogamy" as you so patronisingly put it. There's nothing old fashioned about it, loving someone will always be in fashion.
Nearly every woman that's replied in this thread isn't monogamous, they are all in open relationships or non monogamous arrangements. Isn't that telling you something? I don't know any monogamous relationships within my social circle, personally I think it's extremely rare for anyone to be in a monogamous relationship in 2015, you sir are a tiny minority and a dying breed. Goodluck finding a monogamous woman in 2015, something tells me you need a time machine to go back to the 50's.
Reply 89
Nearly every woman that's replied in this thread isn't monogamous, they are all in open relationships or non monogamous arrangements. Isn't that telling you something? I don't know any monogamous relationships within my social circle, personally I think it's extremely rare for anyone to be in a monogamous relationship in 2015, you sir are a tiny minority and a dying breed. Goodluck finding a monogamous woman in 2015, something tells me you need a time machine to go back to the 50's.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3294771

You really don't have a leg to stand on here, sorry. You've failed at coming up with anything coherent to say against every other point I've made. I'm not sure if you're terrible at debating or just don't really believe in what you're saying.
Original post by Dheorl

You really don't have a leg to stand on here, sorry. You've failed at coming up with anything coherent to say against every other point I've made. I'm not sure if you're terrible at debating or just don't really believe in what you're saying.

Nope you're just stuck in the past. Nearly every woman that replied in here is in an open relationship or is non monogamous, i'm more inclined to believe them than some poll which any anon person can vote on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 91
Nope you're just stuck in the past. Nearly every woman that replied in here is in an open relationship or is non monogamous, i'm more inclined to believe them than some poll which any anon person can vote on.

As apposed to some thread in which any person can comment? Whilst going to two unis I've known maybe 3 people who genuinely aren't into monogamy. Tbh if I'm "stuck in the past" I really don't care. It's what I enjoy and there's nothing unnatural about it. If some people like sleeping around and never really getting to know one single person then that's fine, but in no way is one option more progressive/liberated/better than the other.
Original post by Dheorl
As apposed to some thread in which any person can comment? Whilst going to two unis I've known maybe 3 people who genuinely aren't into monogamy. Tbh if I'm "stuck in the past" I really don't care. It's what I enjoy and there's nothing unnatural about it. If some people like sleeping around and never really getting to know one single person then that's fine, but in no way is one option more progressive/liberated/better than the other.

More progressive and liberated yes, better no. I never said anything about sexually liberated people being better. That's fine enjoy your life, and best of luck finding any woman that's monogamous in 2015 you'll need it. :smile:
Original post by Dheorl
Why not just make everything simpler and quote it here? If not actual links then maybe some specific article titles?

This is the article
http://www.bedirectwithwomen.com/blog/ina-world-of-failing-monogamy-marriage-are-open-relationships-the-way-forward
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl

That's not a big enough sample of women to produce a result that is representative of how women in society today feel about monogamy vs non-monogamy. 18 women on a student forum saying they prefer monogamy is not proof of anything.
Reply 95
More progressive and liberated yes, better no. I never said anything about sexually liberated people being better. That's fine enjoy your life, and best of luck finding any woman that's monogamous in 2015 you'll need it. :smile:

How is it more liberated? And don't worry, I haven't had any trouble so far.
Reply 96
That's not a big enough sample of women to produce a result that is representative of how women in society today feel about monogamy vs non-monogamy. 18 women on a student forum saying they prefer monogamy is not proof of anything.

Neither are the answers in this thread but some seem to think it's a reasonable sample.
Reply 97
2 ofc
Reply 98

I asked about proof that monogamy is unnatural. The only way you mention it in that post is that it that it is your belief. If I were to just accept everyones beliefs as facts I'd have to assume we are currently ruled over by giant lizards.
Reply 99
When I say 'sexually liberated', I mean how much you enjoy sex and how free you are to enjoy sex without any guilt, shame or hang-ups about it. Some people have religious brainwashing that makes them feel ashamed or inhibited about having plenty of sex, whereas other people are free and have no guilt or shame attached to sex whatsoever; they just enjoy it.

So which of these categories would you fall into:

1) You have absolutely no guilt, shame or inhibitions about sex whatsoever. You think casual sex is fine, as long as all partners are legal and consenting. You believe sex is a natural, normal human need and is there to be enjoyed without guilt or hang ups. You are sexually adventurous and open minded, and have no problem experimenting with different things in the bedroom.

2) You aren't against casual sex, but you're not 100% guilt or shame free when it comes to sex. You mostly enjoy sex, but experience slight hang ups about it here and there. You might try new things in the bedroom if you are talked into it, but you are not totally sexually free.

3) You are against casual sex. You will only have sex if you're in a serious monogamous relationship or married. You prefer bland, vanilla sex and don't like to experiment and try new things sexually.

4) You have extreme guilt or shame associated with sex, you get embarrassed about sex and try to hide or suppress your sexuality.

For me, I'm definitely in category 1. I have no negative emotions in regards to sex at all. It's a normal and natural thing to be enjoyed with whoever you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is massively oversimplified, biased and judgemental...An individual could for instance quite happily be in a monogamous relationship and be highly sexually adventurous within that relationship - equally they may find 'vanilla sex' far more satisfying than 'experimenting' for different reasons.

I feel like you're trying to 'reverse-slut shame'; that might be a harsh judgement but i'm not really seeing what you're trying to achieve with this?
My point is that I feel you're suggesting that there is a scale with promiscuity/polygamy being the most positive and enlightened position and monogamy being restricted/dull/negative - basically I respect your right to have your own views but I disagree, profoundly, with the judgemental connotations.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending