The Student Room Group

Do you feel like exercise improves your general mood?

Or is all that stuff about endorphins nonsense. I think I feel good after exercise for about 5 minutes because I feel like I've achieved something but I don't think it does anything to my general mood. I haven't been doing exercise for long though, does it take a while to feel the effects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by channies
Or is all that stuff about endorphins nonsense. I think I feel good after exercise for about 5 minutes because I feel like I've achieved something but I don't think it does anything to my general mood. I haven't been doing exercise for long though, does it take a while to feel the effects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It totally improve the mood for me! Moreover, if I'm feeling really down or depressed, I can force myself to go get some excercie and the high I get after actually doing it and pushing though my bad mood to get something productive done, is just awesome!
Improves my mood greatly

Endorphins aren't nonsense - they have a potent affect on the brain
Reply 3
If you like something, it will your mood.
Reply 4
Definitely improves my mood, I was actually told to exercise more by my counsellor as it really reduces stress and makes you feel less tense overall. I find it's hard to motivate myself to go to the gym or go jogging etc, but when I'm actually doing it I feel good about myself.
Definitely. Exercise has made me a lot less anxious in general. Obviously it can't solve all of your problems, but I feel like it makes you cope with problems better.
Reply 6
Exercise is like a drug for me. I think I'm addicted.

I read somewhere that you get used to the endorphin released and so when you don't exercise, you feel bad, since they aren't released. I don't know if this is BS or not but I'm definitely more 'down' on my rest day, or any day I take a day off.

Only recently started listening to music in the gym, since my gym has turned the volume of the music in there down so it is barely audible. Certain songs really get me pumped, remind me of certain events/people.

I think once you find your true motivation, you start taking things much more seriously.
Exercise has an incredibly significant effect on mood - there's even a good evidence-base to suggest that exercise is just as effective as antidepressants for improving depressive symptoms in mild and moderate depression!
Reply 8
I definitely feel better after a run, or after having been to the gym.

Long term though I don't know if it has that great an effect personally.
Yes, excercise makes a great difference!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Exercise has an incredibly significant effect on mood - there's even a good evidence-base to suggest that exercise is just as effective as antidepressants for improving depressive symptoms in mild and moderate depression!

Indeed!

And yes, exercise has a very positive effect on my mood. I suffer from depression, anxiety and anorexia, and one of the best things I can do to keep myself feeling stable is to just get out and go for a walk every day.

My sport gives me a massive endorphin high, I love the adrenaline rush when I am training and I always end up being energetic after training (even when I am tired!) That probably partially lifts mood from the feeling of achieving something and pushing myself as well as the effects of exercise as such, but yes, definitely a mood improvement from exercising in general, especially if it's something you enjoy.
I do agree, always good to play a bit of sports.
it does improve mood massively, the harder you work the better. I think its a short cut to improved mood. if i focus on anything, my mood improves, like being able to focus on a film, or some work, whatever. and i think exercise is abit like that, focusing on something improves mood. i guess maybe as exercise is moving, its a bit better though.
Original post by loveChloe
It totally improve the mood for me! Moreover, if I'm feeling really down or depressed, I can force myself to go get some exercise and the high I get after actually doing it and pushing though my bad mood to get something productive done, is just awesome!

So true!!!
When I feel like crying I just try to keep myself busy and just move and my mood just gets better. I guess we get depressed because our body isn't feeling well and the exercise just helps our heart move faster and feel better!!!
I've been unable to exercise as much this month due to shin splints, and have noticed a huge dip in my mood

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest