The Student Room Group

Will I be kicked out ouf uni? Failed modules due to non submission/attendance

So basically, I have screwed up really bad this year (I'm a first year). I will fail 3 out of 6 modules.

This is how I performed on my failed modules

failed module 1 - a passed the first exam, did not attend the second exam and failed the final exam
failed module 2 - did not submit first assignment, failed the second assignment and the final exam as well
failed module 3 - did not submit first assignment, will definitely pass the second assignment

I will not achieve the 40% mark in any of these modules and the problem is, I think I may not be allowed to resit. I checked my uni policies and it says you only have an automatic right to reassessment if you attempted the exam originally and I did not. The policies say that in the case that someone has not attempted - and without extenuating circumstances, 'the university may not give the right to reassessment'.

I did not know about these policies at the time when I didnt hand my assignments in/did not sit exams. I did not prepare for the exams so I didnt attend because I knew I wouldnt pass anyway. I also just thought that it doesnt matter because I will pass my other exams/assignments with really high marks so I can still achieve a 40%... however that is not the case.

The reason for my poor performance is that I have been very stressed out and very down since December, first of all I have had ongoing money issues and it was very hard for me to scrape through the year and had no money by the end of each month, there were two months where I couldnt even pay my accomodation (payed it since then) and was very stressed throughout the year due to this, there have been times when I didnt have money to buy food for days.
Due to my money problems I have had trouble settling into uni properly, as I do not have money to socialize, all my flatmates go to parties and places all the time and I have sort of been left behind because of my financial issues so I just sort of withdrew and this has made me feel very down and isolated.

On top of this, my parents had a major fall out and stopped speaking to each other and my mom was comtemplating divorce and this just made everything as worse as it could possibly get, I know this doesnt seem like a big deal, parents get divorced all the time, who cares, it isnt an excuse. But if my mom divorces my dad she would have no place to go - she has a job that pays below the minimum wage and could not afford to live alone, my dad is a pensior and he would starve to death on that money as well, not to mention the fact that my parents havent been able to keep up with mortgage payments in over a year now and could get kicked out anytime.
This has been stressing me out massively, and on top of that I am far away from home so I have no idea what's actually going on between them - there have been instances in the past where they almost got divorced and their arguments almost turned physical and the police got involved because my dad locked my mom out etc, but now I dont live at home so I dont even know what is going on between them exactly and for months now I have been worrying about them killing each other or getting kicked out of our home etc.

I have been feeling awful this year and completely lost all motivation to do anything, I just basically abadoned my uni work - my attendance has been very low and I've pretty much just been in my room all year doing nothing and being upset and stressed out. Im sure I have mild depression (and anxiety as well) and have had this for years but this has been aggravated by these situations to the point where I just abandoned everything. My mood is also made worse by the fact that I have an underactive thyroid and my condition is constantly worsening and I have to be put on a higher dose all the time and it makes me feel very lethargic and I often feel very 'out of it' so this just makes my constant stress even worse (I do have a blood test coming up so I will start taking a higher dose soon)
All this has led to me just being depressed in my room which also makes things worse because I have been comfort eating which has made my gain weight which has made me even more depressed.

I had my final exam of the year today (module 3). I managed to pull myself today and study and I was aiming to get 80% (so that I can still pass the module) but did not have time to finish the paper, so I have calculated that I will only get around a 60-70%. So its official. I have failed three modules.

I am just so sad because I know this is the right course for me and I am capable of achieving good marks when I attempt to...its not that the course isnt right for me. If I get kicked out it will only make everything even worse than it already is. I mean I wouldnt even be able to attend another uni. No one would take me knowing that Ive been kicked out couldnt even get a reference, obviously....

Does anyone have any experience of what happens if you fail a module due to non-submission of assignments/non-attendance of exams? This makes me so angry because I know I could easily pass all my exams if I was allowed a resit, I didnt know I wouldnt be allowed if I didnt show up at all...

I have seriously never felt so low in my life, I dont know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Wow, that does sound quite rough. When I went to a surrey open day, one of our tour guides ominously said that anything and everything that can go wrong will go wrong at uni, which was a little creepy.

I don't know to be honest. I've heard that some universities do or some just require a pass or some will even let you re-do the year, it all depends I think. Why don't you talk to your tutors? That's what they're there for, right? I mean, they're supposed to help you settle and encourage you to approach them with any issues you have. May be scary, but that's probably where your answer lies.
Go and speak to student services asap... you are not alone in this... there are deadlines for 'mitigating circumstances' that are usually submitted before the exam period but unis recognise this is not always possible. It sounds like you have a serious case and may even have been suffering from depression (which is no small mitigating factor to say the least)

Don' hide away... go and see them - take a friend that you trust.

good luck
Is there a reason you haven't considered applying for ecs?
It could help you to resit the year if you explain the effect your health problems have had on your work.as far as I know most unis will at best let you fail one module and still pass but I recon with three you d be best to request a resit.
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Wow, that does sound quite rough. When I went to a surrey open day, one of our tour guides ominously said that anything and everything that can go wrong will go wrong at uni, which was a little creepy.

I don't know to be honest. I've heard that some universities do or some just require a pass or some will even let you re-do the year, it all depends I think. Why don't you talk to your tutors? That's what they're there for, right? I mean, they're supposed to help you settle and encourage you to approach them with any issues you have. May be scary, but that's probably where your answer lies.

I would not be allowed to redo the year, the uni policy says that you get one chance to resit and exam and if you dont pass, you will be required to withdraw from the university.

I dont know if tutors could or would want to do anything for me, I mean have had very low attendance (they probably dont even know who I am) and have failed numerous exams and dont have 'extenuating circumstances' aka I wasnt in hospital for months and didnt have anyone dying... I cannot just show up and tell them I havent been doing work because Im poor and my parents are fighting and as a result Ive been sitting at home. :frown: I mean anyone could say that.
Original post by mazzletazzle
Go and speak to student services asap... you are not alone in this... there are deadlines for 'mitigating circumstances' that are usually submitted before the exam period but unis recognise this is not always possible. It sounds like you have a serious case and may even have been suffering from depression (which is no small mitigating factor to say the least)

Don' hide away... go and see them - take a friend that you trust.

good luck

Yeah I know about mitigating circumstances but I am not diagnosed with depression.
And financial issues do not count as mitigating circumstances (thats also in the uni policy....)
Original post by claireestelle
Is there a reason you haven't considered applying for ecs?
It could help you to resit the year if you explain the effect your health problems have had on your work.as far as I know most unis will at best let you fail one module and still pass but I recon with three you d be best to request a resit.

My uni requires that all modules have to be passed in order to progress. :frown: And you cannot ask to resit a whole year, if you fail, you are out.
Original post by arcenciel21
My uni requires that all modules have to be passed in order to progress. :frown: And you cannot ask to resit a whole year, if you fail, you are out.

Surely with mitigating circumstances then they could be more lienent. If they still aren't then I d think you could be better of switching uni as your current one sounds unsupportive
Original post by claireestelle
Surely with mitigating circumstances then they could be more lienent. If they still aren't then I d think you could be better of switching uni as your current one sounds unsupportive

No, if you have mitigating circumstances you are allowed to resit exams in the summer twice, but all modules have to be passed or they kick you out (this was introduced only 2 years ago).

But that is the problem, that I might not be able to resit my failed exams at all. :frown:
Yeah I know about mitigating circumstances but I am not diagnosed with depression.
And financial issues do not count as mitigating circumstances (thats also in the uni policy....)

It is notoriously difficult to get an actual diagnosis... have you seen anyone? They could be more helpful than you think...

worst case scenario is at least they can confirm your fears ...you'd then have the opportunity to move on and start planning the next phase. :frown:

Are you a member of the NUS? They can help as an independent 3rd party... that's why we pay our fees!
Original post by mazzletazzle
It is notoriously difficult to get an actual diagnosis... have you seen anyone? They could be more helpful than you think...

worst case scenario is at least they can confirm your fears ...you'd then have the opportunity to move on and start planning the next phase. :frown:

Are you a member of the NUS? They can help as an independent 3rd party... that's why we pay our fees!

Nope Im not a member!

But I have been browsing through all the policies related to this on my uni's site and appearently there is such a thing called concession

'Any student might be affected by circumstances that prevent them from meeting course requirements (attendance, assessments, etc). UEA has a system of support to help those students who need it. This might involve applying for a Concession - this is a request which falls outside of the University regulations.

Examples of concessions that a student may request include

Admission: Direct admission to a course due to prior learning, readmission to a course following failure or withdrawal.

Repeat periods of study: Intercalation (long term interruption to studying see below), repeating study after a failed year or semester.

Assessments: Extensions to deadlines for coursework, delayed first sit of exams, good cause for reassessment, individual arrangements for exams.'

I dont know what i should do.. do I just tell them I have been having personal problems and failed due to this and want to retake the year/exams :frown:

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
You should talk to *someone* at the uni as soon as possible. At the moment, you'll just look like a no-show who doesn't care - which you clearly aren't, otherwise you wouldn't be posting here. Make an appointment to talk to someone about the concessions you've just found. Explain your problems exactly as you've explained them to us above. It's very clear what's been causing you issues.

There are no guarantees that you will get the concessions. But if you don't talk to someone ASAP, you *are* guaranteed to be penalised and potentially withdrawn from your course. If you take action, there's a chance you can head this off.

Good luck!
I haven't handed in a piece of 6 of my assignments, and so far it looks good as they may be transferring me to a different course.
You just need to talk to someone about it.
You need to make sure that someone at the university know what's been going on, they definitely can't help you if they don't know. I would also encourage you to speak to someone about feeling depressed. If nothing else it may help you through the stuff which are going on, if you let things build up you can often just be left feeling more depressed. They may also be able to say to your uni that they believe that there is an issue there with depression, and that you're not just making it up, even if you don't get a formal diagnosis of depression. I've seen a counsellor at my uni who was able to provide evidence that allowed me to have an extended deadline for an assignment due to issues with anxiety, and I have no formal diagnosis of anxiety, so they can accept these things without a formal diagnosis. I have known a few people with mental health issues and it definitely gets worse when you don't deal with the way you feel, so I would definitely encourage you to speak to at least someone when things happen that make you feel the way you are.
I'm so scared I have been crying since I posted this. Apparently I need to contact the Office of the Dean of Students and ask if anything can be done. I need to get an appointment though and it says on the website that they have very high levels of demand at the moment, Im scared i wont be able to get proof in time :frown: I'll call and ask for an appointment tomorrow. Also what if they just say, sorry we cant help you because they think I am making my problems up? I'm scared I will just end up going there and crying and not being able to say anything. I am so embarrassed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
I'm so scared I have been crying since I posted this. Apparently I need to contact the Office of the Dean of Students and ask if anything can be done. I need to get an appointment though and it says on the website that they have very high levels of demand at the moment, Im scared i wont be able to get proof in time :frown: I'll call and ask for an appointment tomorrow. Also what if they just say, sorry we cant help you because they think I am making my problems up? I'm scared I will just end up going there and crying and not being able to say anything. I am so embarrassed.

I'm sorry you're feeling like this. You absolutely need to try though. Yes, they might say they can't help but if you don't go and try, you'll never know if they would have said something different. If you're worried about not knowing what to say, have you thought about writing it down beforehand? You can make notes from your post on here, plus add something about being totally disappointed about your performance and how you feel this is the right course, and that you're determined to make a change if you're given a chance to. Good luck
Any issues that you go through or health problems you suffer at uni, you should tell your university about, or if things like this happen they're going to think you're just lazy and can't be bothered. Generally, they'll be really helpful. Even your underactive thyroid that you mentioned - tell them about that. Your university won't do anything without evidence unfortunately, but if you can get a doctor's note saying you have an underactive thyroid and you're on medication that has side effects that can affect your ability to work, and perhaps get a diagnosis for depression too. It'd be difficult for them to do anything with regard to your parents or your financial situation, but your medical problems are significant enough. From what you've said, you'd be better off resitting the year than just resitting the exams, because you've probably missed too much, but you probably have the grounds for it if you go about it the right way.

It is difficult to open up about your problems, but honestly, while you're at uni, it is always worth doing it rather than not saying anything and doing badly in your degree because of them. I had a friend at uni who suffered from depression after a bad break-up and ended up getting a third in his degree; he was at one point considering retaking final year and he would have probably been able to do that if he'd done everything he needed to do, but he couldn't be bothered and ended up doing badly. Don't let yourself be that person. You can't do anything about your personal problems, and neither can your uni (unless you see student support services for counselling etc.), but they can do things to make it so that your problems don't affect your degree as much.

Admitting you need help is scary, but life gets so much easier once you can get the help and I hope you manage to :smile:
Why on Earth did you just simply not show up and not submit assignments? That will make the institution think you just can't be arsed. If you'd have at least attended exams and submitted assignments, even if you failed, you would have had better standing for extenuating circumstances - it just looks like you're lazy now.
Reply 18
I'm in the similar boat. I only got 30 credits due to being sick, lain my sight in left eye and waiting surgery, anxiety and currently going to therapy. My nan got sick during the retake period and I had to look after her whilst social services got involved. The uni is telling me that I cannot progress to second year even though the situation was beyond my control and I would have to repeat the year. But I doubt student finance would pay for the fi skyward because I went to Kingston previously and my sight deteriorated and I had to withdraw, leaving me with a massive sum of. Debts. I honestly don't know what else I can do.
Reply 19
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
A lot of the emotions and struggles you're feeling really hit a chord with me. I was diagnosed with depression during my final year of University, and I can promise you from experience that that will be looked upon as a valid reason for claiming extenuating circumstances provided you explain how it made you feel and what that meant for your course.
Please go and see your doctor and tell them what you've told us. It is both better for your mental health and also for your academic career. If you have a diagnosis, the University will accept the situation far more sympathetically than if you tell them "I think I might be depressed".
I really do wish you all the best.
Josée.

Latest

Trending

Trending