The Student Room Group

Dumping girlfriend tomorrow, never actually done it this way before, tips?

Usually when i dumped ex's it was cause of arguments and what not, but this isnt the case like, we never argue, not even once and we've been out for 5 months and we get along fine but i'm going to be away this whole summer and moving away september and i just cant see it working long distance.. shes gorgeous and smart etc but mans gotta go places and i've been thinking about this for a while.. my minds set on it for all you Romeo and Juliets that are gonna tell me to stay with her

i'm seeing her tomorrow, i already know the basics of what im going to say but i'm her first boyfriend ever and i have a feeling she really, really likes me and will break down etc etc, i want to remind her its not out of bad will whatsoever

Scroll to see replies

Don't leave her, trust me I know long distance is difficult to work but it can work if you too like her so I would suggest not to leave her you might not find someone like her and might regret to leave her so I would suggest keep in touch with her internet and/or phone and just maybe if you can visit her on weekends or when you can visit.
Reply 2
Original post by shantelle999
Don't leave her, trust me I know long distance is difficult to work but it can work if you too like her so I would suggest not to leave her you might not find someone like her and might regret to leave her so I would suggest keep in touch with her internet and/or phone and just maybe if you can visit her on weekends or when you can visit.

ive already told you i've made up my mind, can you not read?
That is a reason why I don't want to have a boyfriend.
Reply 4
"Its not you its me."
If you're set on it then just make it quick and to the point. Tell her it's not her fault, it's the long distance thing. Blame yourself and just hope you don't completely break the poor girl's heart. There's no easy way to do this
Reply 6
That is a reason why I don't want to have a boyfriend.

yeah, **** me for doing the right thing instead of trying to make something that will never work happen, right?
Original post by Charles97
Usually when i dumped ex's it was cause of arguments and what not, but this isnt the case like, we never argue, not even once and we've been out for 5 months and we get along fine but i'm going to be away this whole summer and moving away september and i just cant see it working long distance.. shes gorgeous and smart etc but mans gotta go places and i've been thinking about this for a while.. my minds set on it for all you Romeo and Juliets that are gonna tell me to stay with her

i'm seeing her tomorrow, i already know the basics of what im going to say but i'm her first boyfriend ever and i have a feeling she really, really likes me and will break down etc etc, i want to remind her its not out of bad will whatsoever

I know it's not what you want to hear, but ultimately, if you could take your girlfriend with you, would you still stay with her? Like @shantelle999 said, you can make long distance work, and you may not find a girl as compatible as her, like, ever. Are you going to university in September? There's plenty of time to visit.

Heck I know a person, who's from Colorado Springs, and he went to university in Pocatello, Idaho. His girlfriend lives in Oklahoma, and they make it work, because they are willing to put in the time and effort. They keep in contact with video chat and make it work. Many others had girlfriends in Washington -- at least 12 hours driving. In the UK, quite frankly, you can visit every other week without much issue.

Ultimately, you know, if you're not willing to put in the effort, frankly, you don't deserve her anyway. Quite frankly you owe it to her to at least give it the LDR a good shot -- plenty of resources on TSR for that -- and if it doesn't work, the breakup would be more manageable.
Reply 8
Original post by RainbowKiwi
If you're set on it then just make it quick and to the point. Tell her it's not her fault, it's the long distance thing. Blame yourself and just hope you don't completely break the poor girl's heart. There's no easy way to do this

I know, its **** .. i never imagined i'd be moving away in a million years.. im not going to blame myself as its nobodies fault here, i wouldnt have got with her if i knew i'd be moving away but i didnt. idk
Original post by icdjabtjk
in the olden days you would be sued for this for wreath money, or forced to marry, or any number of things in various cultures in time. I kind of think its a shame theres no protection or revenge/compensation etc for overly trusting guys or girls these days when they end up with a total prick who leaves them when they get bored of them or it becomes convenient. Youve got no honour at all.

So what you're saying is that everyone should be forced to permanently stay with their first partner?

Reply 10
Original post by jammy4041
I know it's not what you want to hear, but ultimately, if you could take your girlfriend with you, would you still stay with her? Like @shantelle999 said, you can make long distance work, and you may not find a girl as compatible as her, like, ever. Are you going to university in September? There's plenty of time to visit.

Heck I know a person, who's from Colorado Springs, and he went to university in Pocatello, Idaho. His girlfriend lives in Oklahoma, and they make it work, because they are willing to put in the time and effort. They keep in contact with video chat and make it work. Many others had girlfriends in Washington -- at least 12 hours driving. In the UK, quite frankly, you can visit every other week without much issue.

Ultimately, you know, if you're not willing to put in the effort, frankly, you don't deserve her anyway. Quite frankly you owe it to her to at least give it the LDR a good shot -- plenty of resources on TSR for that -- and if it doesn't work, the breakup would be more manageable.

put it this way, i've had plenty, and i mean plenty of friends that have tried long distance. it NEVER works, not as this age anyways. like i said, my mind is set,
Reply 11
in the olden days you would be sued for this for wreath money, or forced to marry, or any number of things in various cultures in time. I kind of think its a shame theres no protection or revenge/compensation etc for overly trusting guys or girls these days when they end up with a total prick who leaves them when they get bored of them or it becomes convenient. Youve got no honour at all.

bored of them? dont like them? when did i say any of this? im going away to study and focus on my goals and ambitions, its a shame she cant be there with me but thats just how it is. don't call me a prick for dumping my own girlfriend because i believe that it wont go anywhere further if im not around. the audacity..
Poor girl what if she is madly in love with you and she kills herself cause you dump her???
put it this way, i've had plenty, and i mean plenty of friends that have tried long distance. it NEVER works, not as this age anyways. like i said, my mind is set,

okay...whatever. If you're willing to base the prospects for an LDR with a girl who is obviously perfect for you, on the basis of what your friends have done, don't be surprised when she takes it very badly and it's a horrible break-up.

Your best option would be the "let's stay friends" approach, blame yourself, and emphasize how it's not her fault, and that you want to have her find someone who actually deserves her.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Poor girl what if she is madly in love with you and she kills herself cause you dump her???

please refrain from posting again
Reply 15
Original post by jammy4041
okay...whatever. If you're willing to base the prospects for an LDR with a girl who is obviously perfect for you, on the basis of what your friends have done, don't be surprised when she takes it very badly and it's a horrible break-up.

Your best option would be the "let's stay friends" approach.

"obviously perfect" where are you people getting this stuff from? pulling it out of thin air lol.. the lets stay friends approach is weak. im thinking of just saying like "its been amazing but because of whats soon to happen i dont think its going to work, you're beautiful and smart and its not your fault" etc etc :/
Reply 16
if she wants to stay with him, he gave her the impression he will stay with her by for example lying that he loves her, she gave her virginity to him, then yeah he should be forced to marry her imo. Or pay her a lot of money like £20k or something at least to call the wedding off. If she wants to leave him then I think she should be able to. That's just called taking some responsibility before you screw someone rather than just taking the liberty to be with someone who's never had a relationship before, then dump them when you're done with them. In a way it's her fault though for not making him buy her an engagement ring at the least, or marrying, before offering sex, so she could take half his possessions when he dumps her. Theres a reason things like engagement rings used to exist, they were security against the guy dumping the girl, so she could at least take a lot of his money if he does! But yeah, I think it's more honourable for sure to respect that kind of thing and take responsibility especially if you're with someone who hasnt had a relationship before. He does have no honour, but it's also partially her fault for trusting him, although you can hardly be blamed so much for naivety and trusting.

can you also please stop posting, thanks.
You asked people's opinions. Its a free world and everybody is free to say what they think even if you don't like it.
I know, its **** .. i never imagined i'd be moving away in a million years.. im not going to blame myself as its nobodies fault here, i wouldnt have got with her if i knew i'd be moving away but i didnt. idk

Since you say you're her first bf and she cares deeply for you, my advice would still be to blame yourself even if you don't believe it. It will help soften the blow as she will most likely blame herself in some ways for not being good enough for you to carry on a LDR. If she wanted to carry it on and you didn't want to try then technically you would have some blame especially as you say she is nice and has done nothing wrong.
Reply 19
no but can you please stop posting? thanks.

just, please. i cba with trolls like you telling me i owe her 20k or whatever because im breaking up on good terms... so stupid

Latest

Trending

Trending