The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TaylorSaunders
Hello,

I'm a graduate applicant waiting on a college membership decision. Do you know if camsis updates your status if you don't get into your top choices? Also, does your application then go to all the colleges with spaces left or any in particular
Thanks!

Hi, we are the undergraduate admissions team, so we don't deal with postgraduate admissions. From my dim memories of going through the process myself, it should update under 'status' to show the current state of your application. I can say that the process takes place without requiring input from you, so I'm afraid you have to be patient (frustrating I know). For POSTGRADUATE admissions you are considered by up to 5 colleges sequentially, with the first two determined by your preferences and 3-5 allocated using a computer algorithm.

Sorry for the excessive highlighting but I don't want to sow confusion with the differences between the undergrad and postgrad application process, particularly with regards to colleges.
Hello, thanks for this doing this. My Question: What is the average Maths modules UMS for people with Maths offers from last year ?
Original post by -Gifted-
Hello, thanks for this doing this. My Question: What is the average Maths modules UMS for people with Maths offers from last year ?

Hi, no problem. Last year at Peterhouse 44% of offer-holders didn't do A levels so don't have UMS scores, but the average of those that did is 95% (range 85-99.7%). The range of scores among unsuccessful applicants was 87-97%.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi, no problem. Last year at Peterhouse 44% of offer-holders didn't do A levels so don't have UMS scores, but the average of those that did is 95% (range 85-99.7%). The range of scores among unsuccessful applicants was 87-97%.

Thanks for the information. You probably do not have concrete data about this, but is 95% plus minus 3% pretty much the average across all colleges?
Thanks for the information. You probably do not have concrete data about this, but is 95% plus minus 3% pretty much the average across all colleges?

You're correct that we don't have data on offers across the University I'm afraid. Hope the information is useful! You can see there a lot of overlap between those with offers and unsuccessful applicants in terms of scores, emphasising that Merit Scores are far from the only factor considered.
Reply 25

Whatdotheyknow has FOI data on this.
Including this request:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/average_ums_for_maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Including this request:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crikey. Median 3 AS-level UMS scores for G100 acceptances in 2012 and 2013 were 97.3 and 97.0 respectively.
Original post by jneill
Including this request:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 'Average UMS' is it for Mathematics best 6 modules (M+ FM) or all modules ? Thanks for the link btw.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
The 'Average UMS' is it for Mathematics best 6 modules (M+ FM) or all modules ? Thanks for the link btw.

In that data MUMS is for all maths modules offered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Don John
Crikey. Median 3 AS-level UMS scores for G100 acceptances in 2012 and 2013 were 97.3 and 97.0 respectively.

Yes but bottom quintile was < 94ish

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Hello! i have 11A*S and 2 As for GCSE, i wanted to do economics at cambridge if i did get predicted A*AA for a level but the A* was not in maths, would they consider me? Plus how closely do they look at UMS scores
Original post by Nife
Hello! i have 11A*S and 2 As for GCSE, i wanted to do economics at cambridge if i did get predicted A*AA for a level but the A* was not in maths, would they consider me? Plus how closely do they look at UMS scores

Hi,

Great to hear you're thinking of applying! You're correct that our typical offer for Economics is A*AA and that out invitations to interview are based partly on predicted A level grades in line with the typical offer. Not being predicted an A* in maths wouldn't necessarily rule you out. What are the other subjects you are studying?
Hello,
What courses could I apply for with this combination?
Maths
Physics
French
And computer science

I originally wanted to apply for engineering but it seems I will be at a disadvantage because I realised the desirability of further maths a bit too late :frown:
Hi

Thanks for doing one of these helpful threads!!

I am currently in year 12 currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Critical Thinking, and I am looking to study mathematics at university.
My current study of maths is such that I sit C1-4 M1-2 this year and then FP1-3, M3, S1-2 next year. If I get an A* this year, would that contribute towards the typical A*A*A offer??

Would you recommend that I keep all of my subjects (except Critical Thinking), or possibly drop a subject for A2 study?

Out of 600 UMS in maths, what would give me a very good chance at obtaining an interview and a place to study (on top of STEP)?

Thank you so much!
Amar
Original post by StrawbAri
Hello,
What courses could I apply for with this combination?
Maths
Physics
French
And computer science

I originally wanted to apply for engineering but it seems I will be at a disadvantage because I realised the desirability of further maths a bit too late :frown:

Further Mathematics is advantageous for Engineering, Mathematics and Economics but isn't essential - you could still apply for these courses. A strong grasp of mathematics is required for these courses and FM is one great way of acquiring and demonstrating this, but you should not rule yourself out for not studying FM.

The course you choose to study is the biggest influence or your time at university and the choice of course is the most important thing, above the name or reputation of the institution. If you want to study Engineering, then apply for Engineering!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Further Mathematics is advantageous for Engineering, Mathematics and Economics but isn't essential - you could still apply for these courses. A strong grasp of mathematics is required for these courses and FM is one great way of acquiring and demonstrating this, but you should not rule yourself out for not studying FM.

The course you choose to study is the biggest influence or your time at university and the choice of course is the most important thing, above the name or reputation of the institution. If you want to study Engineering, then apply for Engineering!

Thank you for answering my question. That was very encouraging :smile:

Will taking STEP help in any way?
Does computer science prefer f/maths as well? As I am also interested in that course.
Original post by AmarPatel98
Hi

Thanks for doing one of these helpful threads!!

I am currently in year 12 currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Critical Thinking, and I am looking to study mathematics at university.
My current study of maths is such that I sit C1-4 M1-2 this year and then FP1-3, M3, S1-2 next year. If I get an A* this year, would that contribute towards the typical A*A*A offer??

Would you recommend that I keep all of my subjects (except Critical Thinking), or possibly drop a subject for A2 study?

Out of 600 UMS in maths, what would give me a very good chance at obtaining an interview and a place to study (on top of STEP)?

Thank you so much!
Amar

The most important part of the offer is the STEP offer. We probably would include the A* already achieved (making the offer A*A). In general, we do like our candidates to be taking three full subjects in Year 13, partly so that they are comfortable with a higher workload in preparation for university. Working hard in preparation for the STEP might satisfy this.

We do not consider Critical Thinking in admissions decisions, nor is it included in any conditional offers.

We aim to interview the majority of our candidates - we have already given details for the range of UMS scores for successful and unsuccessful (but still interviewed) applicants. As you can see from those figures, there is quite a range and candidates with lower Merit Scores were successful in achieving a conditional offer.

Does computer science prefer f/maths as well? As I am also interested in that course.

One important thing for Engineering is mechanics, and you should be aware that the majority of applicants you would be competing with be studying FM, so you may want to aim for an understanding of mechanics at approximately the level of FM students (i.e. at least M1 and M2), otherwise you risk being at a disadvantage at interview. You may also wish to try some extra, self-directed study to get a deeper understanding of mechanics and prepare you for the interview and for university engineering courses, even if this is outside an exam specification and doesn't lead to any particular qualification.

We do not expect candidates to have taken STEP before applying.

Computer Science is similar to Engineering in that Maths is essential, FM is advantageous. It depends a bit on whether you wish to combine Computer Science with Maths, Natural Sciences or Social Psychology.
Hi
What kind of extra curricular activities or wider reading and studying would you expect from a student applying to study Economics at Cambridge, and what kind of extra reading would make them stand out?
Best Regards
Syed
(edited 8 years ago)

One important thing for Engineering is mechanics, and you should be aware that the majority of applicants you would be competing with be studying FM, so you may want to aim for an understanding of mechanics at approximately the level of FM students (i.e. at least M1 and M2), otherwise you risk being at a disadvantage at interview. You may also wish to try some extra, self-directed study to get a deeper understanding of mechanics and prepare you for the interview and for university engineering courses, even if this is outside an exam specification and doesn't lead to any particular qualification.

We do not expect candidates to have taken STEP before applying.

Computer Science is similar to Engineering in that Maths is essential, FM is advantageous. It depends a bit on whether you wish to combine Computer Science with Maths, Natural Sciences or Social Psychology.

Latest

Trending

Trending