The Student Room Group

GCSE 21st Century Chemistry C1 C2 C3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Littleonezz
For this I put that raw materials to make synthetic products are extracted from the earth's crust and without a chemistry industry this isn't possible...

I don't know if thats right I found it confusing as well...

What did you get about the Mercury question at the end??

Posted from TSR Mobile

i put that plants have natural polymers so you don't need man made polymers like kevlar and in poor countries there'll be no crude oil to make it in the first place for chemical synthesis to happen
Original post by saratheawesome1
i thought the hardness stayed the same? only the stiffness and MP increased?

Yeah I got that as well, I think we're right because hardness stays the same.
Original post by Littleonezz
What about the mecury question?!?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it leaked into rivers and lakes it polluted the water which meant that aquatic animals such as fish would start dying. Humans each fish, and some could contain mercury, making us ill.

Was confident with that question so hope it's right xD.
Original post by abbeyjayne
I don't think there was a correct answer it was more that your point needed to be backed up. I picked nylon as it also had properties that were suitable for most of the categories.

No I think there was only one correct answer and it was the polypropene- if you look at other mark schemes you can only achieve maximum of 2 marks if you choose the wrong one but put some justification. Maybe it's different this year though xD
(edited 8 years ago)
But overall I thought the six markers this year were really nice for Biology and Chemistry, hope they're just as good in Physics (dreading it so much) :s-smilie:
What did people put for the mercury question at the very end? Good exam overall, I'm hoping for a high grade!!
What the hell were those 6 and 5 markers ?????????
Original post by h8skoooooool
What did people put for the mercury question at the very end? Good exam overall, I'm hoping for a high grade!!

If it leaked into rivers and lakes it polluted the water which meant that aquatic animals such as fish would start dying. Humans each fish, and some could contain mercury, making us ill.

Original post by LauraAdrianna
What the hell were those 6 and 5 markers ?????????

I thought the first and second one were okay but the last one must quite difficult. Hoping for 3/4 on that one xD
Original post by 'Chris'

You had to talk about it accumulating in food chain, but your other points are also correct :smile:
Original post by FlakeFace
You had to talk about it accumulating in food chain, but your other points are also correct :smile:

Yeah I was running out of time at the end so I'm just glad I managed to put that down xD
Original post by 'Chris'

Nah not that one - I wrote that for the second to last one

It was the one about why we've known about the dangers for the past 150 years but we've only stopped using mercury now - ideas?
Original post by h8skoooooool
Nah not that one - I wrote that for the second to last one

It was the one about why we've known about the dangers for the past 150 years but we've only stopped using mercury now - ideas?

Oh God that one threw me- I had no idea I just started talking about electrolysis of brine and they didn't dispose of it properly and the benefits of the alkali outweighed the risk of getting harmed, no idea if it's right though, what did you put?
The physics exam will be some random crap
Original post by 'Chris'
No I think there was only one correct answer and it was the polypropene- if you look at other mark schemes you can only achieve maximum of 2 marks if you choose the wrong one but put some justification. Maybe it's different this year though xD

Damn! Messed that one up then ;(
Original post by 'Chris'
Oh God that one threw me- I had no idea I just started talking about electrolysis of brine and they didn't dispose of it properly and the benefits of the alkali outweighed the risk of getting harmed, no idea if it's right though, what did you put?

i put that the benefits outweighed the risks and that mercury may have been a key reactant in the chemical process or synthesis.
the maximum marks i would have lost is 17. that is disgusting. nomesayn. know what i'm sayin
The test was bull****
Original post by Archie stray
The test was bull****

that word is haram. don't say that again. nomesayn
Reply 299
Original post by abbeyjayne
True. Well, I guess for Chemistry I'm better at 456 because I fully understand the ions and all that. Biology, better at B123 and physics, wouldn't say I'm good at anything but if I had to pick P7 (cause I literally understand that to a tee).
your so attractive, what's your snapchat/instagram

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending