The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Biology - Paper 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foreboding
Hello, I don't think edexcel combine science results ; they are all separate qualifications. Don't worry though, you can still try and get a better mark in the paper 2. Also, we don't know the grade boundaries yet, but if you want me to guess I'd say 132/180 for A*, 120/180 for an A, 100-110 B and anything less goes to C. Bear in mind, this is the combined mark (paper 1, from yesterday, is out 120 and paper 2 is out of 60, so in total it is out of 180)

You are able to do double award IGCSE. The grade boundaries are slightly different as you are only doing one paper. Check the Edexcel website for last years boundaries, that'll give a rough estimate :smile:
I think the main to point to get across is this:
-> phosphate levels are high in the lake
-> encourages growth of algae. Algal 'blooms' form
-> blocks out light for underwater plants so they cannot photosynthesise.
-> underwater plants eventually die as a result.
-> the algae eventually die as well
-> decomposers such as bacteria begin to decompose the dead plants and algae
-> they respire more often, using up oxygen in the water
-> this makes the water anoxic.
-> fish numbers decrease because they cannot get the oxygen they need for aerobic respiration

For one of those questions when it said why might this be a reliable test, I wrote something stupid like the depth of some lakes would be lower than others, which could lead to the water seeming cloudy at a lower depth. Does that make any sense? I'm so worried now.
Original post by janster111
You are able to do double award IGCSE. The grade boundaries are slightly different as you are only doing one paper. Check the Edexcel website for last years boundaries, that'll give a rough estimate :smile:

Oh sorry, I didn't know about that. I never actually knew what "double award" and "triple award" and things like meant on the front the past papers. I just assumed they were all the same.
Anyway, here are last year's grade boundaries for biology.
gb-biology.png
I expect them to be lower this year but you never know...
The image is kind of small but if you click it, it will get bigger
Reply 363
Original post by janster111

Yes I am doing double award all 3 seperate paper. I checked the grade boundaries for double award science there I saw 360 so I am confused 😕😕😕
Original post by helloitsmee
For one of those questions when it said why might this be a reliable test, I wrote something stupid like the depth of some lakes would be lower than others, which could lead to the water seeming cloudy at a lower depth. Does that make any sense? I'm so worried now.

Well, I don't exactly remember a reliability question, but usually when it comes to reliability, you have to take about repeating the results and averaging or doing the experiment to a group of people. There was a reliability question on the growth hormone question and my answer was that the experiment was done to a GROUP of cows and their results were averaged (the result was put on the bar chart of the growth hormone question). I wouldn't be too worried since it's only likely to be a 1-2 mark question. 1-2 marks is just 0.5-1% of your entire grade and you can try harder at the paper 2 which will be a lot more factual I think.
I am so scared for chemistry tomorrow!!!
Anyone from newzealnd here giving his/her chem 1c tomorrow please tell me
Reply 367
Original post by Ainajay
I am so scared for chemistry tomorrow!!!

So am I :|. Haven't revised it one bit just for some hours yesterday and today. Overwhelmed because I don't know where to start xD.
Original post by helloitsmee
The thing about phosphate levels and fish, wouldn't you roughly call it related to fish farming? I had to do so much guessing with that question :frown:

nope thats eutrophication
I think the main to point to get across is this:
-> phosphate levels are high in the lake
-> encourages growth of algae. Algal 'blooms' form
-> blocks out light for underwater plants so they cannot photosynthesise.
-> underwater plants eventually die as a result.
-> the algae eventually die as well
-> decomposers such as bacteria begin to decompose the dead plants and algae
-> they respire more often, using up oxygen in the water
-> this makes the water anoxic.
-> fish numbers decrease because they cannot get the oxygen they need for aerobic respiration

thats correct but too much detail most certainly full marks but then again dont give the examiner an excuse to decrease ur marks,i guess:cool:
Original post by HalaA9
For the other one, do you think immune system is ok?

is skeletal system right??
Original post by megmogs101
is skeletal system right??

Since people keep wondering whether their answer is correct, here all 11 organ systems of the body
http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-an-organ-system-definition-pictures-quiz.html
The ones you can't mention are: respiratory, urinary, digestive, nervous and circulatory system as they are already on the diagram.
Reply 372
Ahhhh it was a really stupid test, everything i revised wasnt there!!! And also potato tubers!?
Original post by sophie.howells
I had about 15 minutes left at the end

I finished the whole thing in about an hour, had a quick nap, and then spend 45 mins going through it agin, I can't stand making the silly error, I checked the calculation 4 times!!
Original post by niceu~
Ahhhh it was a really stupid test, everything i revised wasnt there!!! And also potato tubers!?

There the bit of potatoe what comes out the ground
Original post by Zakariyam10
thats correct but too much detail most certainly full marks but then again dont give the examiner an excuse to decrease ur marks,i guess:cool:

Yeh....I answered mine for 12 marks, better safe than sorry
Reply 376
So what did people put for how would you work out the dry mass of fresh potato tubers?
Original post by Deano1
Cheers...
Tbf it was 6 marks tho

still get marks
Original post by Deano1
On the X axis I wrote years.

I didnt write every single year. Just every single set of values. Eg. 1969-73 etc.

Then on the Y axis I wrote number of heart attacks etc and I went up in 10s.

What do you think?

if you added a key to show men and women probably will get u all the marks
Original post by JohnJuJu
-For the ' Name a system that isn't on here'
i put the blood circulatory system, because it had no blood vessels, is that correct?

no,was supposed to be reproductive system

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending