The Student Room Group

Just passed my test! Some tips!

Hello everyone I just passed my driving test after around 25 lessons and would like to share some tips for learners!

2nd gear;

You can drive slowly in this gear to a walking pace. It may sound stupid to state but I personally found myself going into first gear when I could have gone into second gear. One I grasped this, driving became easier, (junctions and roundabouts especially).

Clutch control;

I personally did around 8 lessons on clutch control and was glad I did. If instructors don't teach you early on brilliant clutch control then you will often stall and driving will be more difficult. It enabled me to stall a lot less and carry the car up hills easier. Nail the clutch and you can drive!

Mirrors;

Examiners are demons for mirrors and will know if you haven't checked them. Just remember that you generally have to check mirrors in pairs! So if your moving out to your right to overtake a parked car, check your middle and right wing mirror before moving out and middle and left before going back in. Also, check your middle mirror every 8-11 seconds and make it a habit.

Manoeuvres;

Ranking them from easiest to hardest i'd say ; Bay park, reverse around the corner, turn in the road and parallel park. I hate the parallel park and the only tip I can give is practise. A lot of people teach to turn the wheel in full rotations (1 spin) yet I found it easier to do 3/4 of that! You only get one of these on your test and on mine I got the parallel park but did it fine.

Roundabouts;

Generally everyone's pet hate in learning to drive and existing drivers.. The dreaded circle with cars, lanes, speed and non signallers! I hated them and still do. The only tip I can give is crawl up to it slowly keep checking to your right and go when possible. Again, its practise and just hope you get a left turn on your test :tongue:

The test;

The actual test was very easy. Learn your show me tell me as you can get 1 minor for not knowing one of the answers. I had a parallel park, loads of roundabouts and duel carriageways and a bit of city driving. My one tip for it is to talk to the examiner, I was lucky in that she spoke to me about loads of things and it put me a ease and I honestly didn't feel nervous! Plus my test was about 50 minutes (which is maximum as they're generally 43 minutes due to her stop watch that I saw) and it felt like 5.

Any questions feel free to ask! And good luck its easier than you think.
Congratulations on passing your test! :biggrin:

And thank you for all the tips! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by moment of truth
Congratulations on passing your test! :biggrin:

And thank you for all the tips! :biggrin:

Thank you!

And no problem :biggrin:
yes well done... happy & safe driving !

:borat:
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
yes well done... happy & safe driving !

:borat:

Cheers bear!:biggrin:
Original post by CautiousCat
Thank you! And no problem :biggrin:

Congrats :smile:.
If you are going down the road on 3rd gear, and you have to turn left. If you change to 2nd gear, do you need to come up slowly because if you go up too fast on the clutch, it stalls?
Also what if you don't pull the clutch up because you are focused on turning left due to the short time period, where you have to change from gear 3 to 2.
Congrats!!! I'm 26 and have no licence! XD
Reply 7
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Congrats :smile:.
If you are going down the road on 3rd gear, and you have to turn left. If you change to 2nd gear, do you need to come up slowly because if you go up too fast on the clutch, it stalls?
Also what if you don't pull the clutch up because you are focused on turning left due to the short time period, where you have to change from gear 3 to 2.

Correct. Pulling the clutch up too fast brings the two clutch plates together too fast and your car will bang and jump around and it's horrible. Which results in a stall. And cover the break and slowly break as you go into second as there is no harm in going around the corner with the clutch pedal coming up still. Just try and do it before you reach the corner so you only have to focus on breaking for the corner :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Pop_tart
Congrats!!! I'm 26 and have no licence! XD

Thank you! And aw well maybe one day eh?:smile:
Original post by CautiousCat
Thank you! And aw well maybe one day eh?:smile:

Perhaps yeah! Would be handy to be honest but just never got around doing it and always lived really close to work/school/shops so never needed to to be honest.

My bike get's me around =D
Reply 10
Congratulations!

my instructor said average for those who he taught had 45 lessons :/

should i change instructors?
My driving instructor used to say to me "Expect the unexpected".

It also helps to stay calm and peaceful minded when driving.
Original post by Pop_tart
Perhaps yeah! Would be handy to be honest but just never got around doing it and always lived really close to work/school/shops so never needed to to be honest.

My bike get's me around =D

Yeah that's true. It does take a while. Although you could just pop an hour lesson in a week and learn over the course of a year ? Factoring in money and that☺️ Good luck
Original post by carbr
Congratulations!

my instructor said average for those who he taught had 45 lessons :/

should i change instructors?

Thank you! It's hard to say because you have to factor in the fact that some people learn quicker than others. My instructor said I was a quick learner and I listened well! Is your instructor bad or?
2 years having passed my test nad i still cant parallel park.

But then its not a requirement on the test in ireland
Original post by silverbolt
2 years having passed my test nad i still cant parallel park.

But then its not a requirement on the test in ireland

Oh really?! Very lucky! I could never seem to judge the swinging back in the space enough in order to be not too close or far away from the curb! And congrats on passing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending