The Student Room Group

OCR FP1 (Non-MEI) 14th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Telgar_45
For the consistency questions what were the answers to the two parts? I got the first one to have unique solutions but couldn't tell whether it was consistent or not. (answer?) I got the second one to have no unique solutions. Thanks.

a) You had to find det(D) when a = 3, so det(D) = -4, meaning there was a unique solution.
b) You then found det(D) when a = 1, so det(D) = 0. This means that there is no unique solution (the matrix was singular). That meant that there were either consistent or inconsistent solutions. You had to solve the 3 equations as if you would solve 2 linear simultaneous equations.
I managed to get something like 6y + 6z = 4, so z + y = 4/6 = 2/3, and I also got x + y = 0 when I chose 2 different equations.
As 0 doesn't equal 2/3, the solutions were inconsistent.

Note: If they were to be consistent, there would be infinite solutions and you would've ended up with something like 6x + 4z = 2 and 3x + 2z = 1.As they both simplify to the same thing, they are consistent.
When you solve these equations, they can firstly be grouped into 2 categories; unique solutions or no unique solutions:
- If the determinant of the matrix doesn't equal 0, there are unique solutions and you can either solve them or just leave it at that.
- If there are no unique solutions, the determinant of the matrix = 0, and then there are two sub-categories you can group them into; consistent or inconsistent solutions. Then you can work out which sub-category the equations fall into by solving them as you would solve linear simultaneous equations.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 61
If we do not do well in THIS (and only this exam), is it still possible to get a reasonable grade in Further Maths AS?
Original post by sukarro
If we do not do well in THIS (and only this exam), is it still possible to get a reasonable grade in Further Maths AS?

If you do really well in your applied modules, then yes, but it does depend on how badly you did on this exam.
Reply 63
OF COURSE I CAN BLOODY WELL DO IT NOW!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431612104.560505.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Can someone tell me what they got for the first part of 10 with the substitution x=√u?
Original post by AMDD
Can someone tell me what they got for the first part of 10 with the substitution x=√u?

See my earlier post
Reply 66
I farily enjoyed the exam, the last part was a little stumble but once i thought of it it came out okay. I got 29 :smile:

Can someone tell me 3 things.
1. Will i get deducted marks if i havnt labelled my argand diagram axis?
2. Was the point of intersection with the circle -1-root(3) + i ?
3. I drew a pretty poor circle, but i labelled it c1 and gave a description of it in the side, will they still be able to deduct marks off me?
Im aiming for full marks in this one, after the M2 exam, i dropped about 10 marks from what iv seen.

Thanks guys, hope it went well
Grade boundaries for this paper are going to be shockingly high...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Does anyone have any idea how many marks I'd get for Q10(ii) if I didn't manage to get the answer to the first part? My method was correct but I ended up with the answer "61 - 2*(c term from u equation)" since I didn't have the c term.
Hope it went well for everyone :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by chloe-jessica
Does anyone have any idea how many marks I'd get for Q10(ii) if I didn't manage to get the answer to the first part? My method was correct but I ended up with the answer "61 - 2*(c term from u equation)" since I didn't have the c term.
Hope it went well for everyone :smile:

By the first part do you mean the equation with the substitution x=root(u)?
Reply 70
Original post by bred123
By the first part do you mean the equation with the substitution x=root(u)?

Yeah. I literally went to my teacher yesterday and got him to teach me how to do that, he made it look so simple yet I still messed up.
Original post by bred123
I farily enjoyed the exam, the last part was a little stumble but once i thought of it it came out okay. I got 29 :smile:

Can someone tell me 3 things.
1. Will i get deducted marks if i havnt labelled my argand diagram axis?
2. Was the point of intersection with the circle -1-root(3) + i ?
3. I drew a pretty poor circle, but i labelled it c1 and gave a description of it in the side, will they still be able to deduct marks off me?
Im aiming for full marks in this one, after the M2 exam, i dropped about 10 marks from what iv seen.

Thanks guys, hope it went well

It was -root 3, not -1-root 3. The latter would lie outside the circle.

And I don't remember any marks ever being given for labelling the real and imaginary axes
Reply 72
Original post by Jamesb17_
It was -root 3, not -1-root 3. The latter would lie outside the circle.

And I don't remember any marks ever being given for labelling the real and imaginary axes

Sorry, i meant -2-root3.
Because the centre of the circle was -2 and the Point of intersection was another root3 along.

So i assumed you needed to take the complex number from the origin? Thats why i added the -2.

And okay good, thanks pal :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by chloe-jessica
Yeah. I literally went to my teacher yesterday and got him to teach me how to do that, he made it look so simple yet I still messed up.

Ah right haha, mistakes are easily made.
Uhm, if you didnt get the correct equation and you used the incorrect one to get your value, they may allow for some method marks.
However, its the first question iv seen like it, so im not too sure
Can anyone remember the find x question?

It was something like x^2-4x-11i-1 = 0 or something but that isn't fully correct
:P
Reply 75
Original post by bred123
Ah right haha, mistakes are easily made.
Uhm, if you didnt get the correct equation and you used the incorrect one to get your value, they may allow for some method marks.
However, its the first question iv seen like it, so im not too sure

Just kicking myself because as soon as I came out, I realised how to do the first part. Just hoping there will be some method marks at least for the second. Paper was going so well until then! Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Parallex
Can anyone remember the find x question?

It was something like x^2-4x-11i-1 = 0 or something but that isn't fully correct
:P

I think i got the roots of the complex number on the first part of the question to be plus or minus(3+2i) [it may have been the other way around]
You then had to complete the square on the quadratic you sent to get 2 roots, them roots include the complex number you just found the roots for in the previous part. You then had to add 2 to the plus and minus versions of them
ALthough, i cant remember my final answers so i apologise for that
Original post by sukarro

YEP! Last year i did awful (C) and still got an A in further maths AS
Original post by bred123
I think i got the roots of the complex number on the first part of the question to be plus or minus(3+2i) [it may have been the other way around]
You then had to complete the square on the quadratic you sent to get 2 roots, them roots include the complex number you just found the roots for in the previous part. You then had to add 2 to the plus and minus versions of them
ALthough, i cant remember my final answers so i apologise for that

Yep I got 5+2i and -1-2i

I just wanted to know the question because one of my friends is pretty adamant there's 4 answers, when I'm pretty sure there was just those 2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Parallex
Yep I got 5+2i and -1-2i

I just wanted to know the question because one of my friends is pretty adamant there's 4 answers, when I'm pretty sure there was just those 2.

Yeh i thought there was at first, because there was 2 positions of the plus and minus signs,
but when you did all 4, 2 of them just converted into the opposite ones so it just came out with 2 of the same answers.

This is what i had for the point of intersection. Did anyone get the same?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending