The Student Room Group

As aqa english lit what is the significance of using an iambic pentameter?

How do i comment on its usage e.g. in Godiva by Tennyson why does he use iambic pentameter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ribbon123
How do i comment on its usage e.g. in Godiva by Tennyson why does he use iambic pentameter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally iambic pentameter (or any kind of iambic rhythm) creates a steady pace and rhythm. As it is highly structured, iambic pentameter can reflect and serious themes in a poem (or act as a juxtaposition to frantic language and themes) and also raise the register (formality) of the poem. Also, iambic pentameter mimics the beating of the heart (ta-tum ta-tum) which can subconsciously add to the emotion of any poem (notice how Shakespeare used it frequently in his sonnets). Sorry I can't relate it to Tennyson as I haven't studied any of his works :/

Although, I have been looking through some examiners' reports (seeing as my exam is tomorrow) and one of them mentioned how commenting on iambic pentameter can limit a student as there is not much you can say about it beyond giving the poem structure.

Hope this somewhat helped :P
Reply 2
Thank you so much and good luck for today:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome :smile: thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Also, we naturally talk in iamb, so when they use iambic anything you can say they are mimicking natural speech to add realism

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending