The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Biology B1 12 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queenleelee
Ok, I am going to use my knowledge to predict that the 'vas deferenes' does not develop properly? I sure hope you got it right... I know the whole of topic B1, every symptom of CF... no knowledge of mucus is involved whilst explaining the infertility of males within the disorder.

Vas deferenes was not the correct answer but may be accepted on the MS. I doubt anyone in the country wrote that, but the question itself it was logical and many A* students including me wrote that mucus would trap the sperm duct.
Original post by Chakara
I wrote that energy is lost through excretion and respiration

oh i was on about the grade boundaries not the questions
Original post by multieman
Vas deferenes was not the correct answer but may be accepted on the MS. I doubt anyone in the country wrote that, but the question itself it was logical and many A* students including me wrote that mucus would trap the sperm duct.

Ok, I am glad to know that you are an A* student - you are acting like I am not? I wrote exactly what you said - it was an educated guess, but it is wrong. The real reason is to do with the vas deferenes, unless you have a medical degree - I am not considering that it is not.
Original post by SparklyN
Okay, can you please tell me the answer for the bar thing where you had to describe the ph of the organisms?

I wrote that if there would be low ph- bad indicator of water pollution would be there, something like that. 0.0

It was as simple as saying, the lower the pH, the lower the amount of organisms in the water...
Original post by Fatemah99
Id say around about 4, as it was out of 6. 1 mark is awarded for the way you've written your answer, and your small mistake would have only cost you 1 mark

I wouldn't really say that's a small mistake.. They got it completely wrong as glucagon and glycogen are completely different things. If ou can only lose 1 or 2 marks for not showing you understand the topic then something is not right with the marking system..
Original post by kirsty123456
I wouldn't really say that's a small mistake.. They got it completely wrong as glucagon and glycogen are completely different things. If ou can only lose 1 or 2 marks for not showing you understand the topic then something is not right with the marking system..

I agree. I remember a past paper once about glucagon, and the ms said "reject glycogen and spelling of glucagon with a 'y'"
Understanding the fact that glucagon is a hormone and glycogen is how glucose is stored is very important in this question. You might only get 2 marks for that (if any).
Original post by Chakara
Yeah it was dendron and nucleus

Some people were saying it was dendrites but I thought they were the smaller branches off the bigger ones. The arrow pointed to the larger ones.
I put that only certain organisms can live in certain lakes due to the fact that some pH levels are too strong for some organisms meaning that they wouldn't be able to survive.
for the percentage question,,, I got 92%,,, is that correct?
Original post by samirsheth
What was the answer to the cystic fibrosis infertility question?

I got the answer wrong, but my teacher said it's to do with the mucus.
Original post by ayodejiaraoye
for the percentage question,,, I got 92%,,, is that correct?

Yes
wow! that was easy
Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER
wow! that was easy

did you put electrical energy instead of dc on the c1 paper
Original post by HarryKane28
did you put electrical energy instead of dc on the c1 paper

yeah i wrote dc then crossed it out and wrote elerctrical
Reply 294
is it possible for edexcel to remove questions on the b1 gcse paper e.g the cf infertility one please reply
Original post by kirsty123456
Does anyone know if there is a thread for the C1 exam tomorrow? Or does anyone want to give me tips about possible 6 markers?

how did you find it?
Original post by ziddy
is it possible for edexcel to remove questions on the b1 gcse paper e.g the cf infertility one please reply

My school said that they were going to contact Edexcel and ask them to remove it as it wasnt in the syllabus. If enough people contact them, they will remove it.
Original post by samirsheth
What was the answer to the cystic fibrosis infertility question?

Mucus gets all up in there and causes the fluids to be thicker therefore they can't travel through tubes and the sperm ducts get blocked.
Original post by Usaamah
Some people were saying it was dendrites but I thought they were the smaller branches off the bigger ones. The arrow pointed to the larger ones.

yeah you're right dendrites are the branched endings
Original post by Chakara
yeah you're right dendrites are the branched endings

I'm pretty sure the arrow pointed to the small endings. If not then it was very unclear what they were pointing at

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending